Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Adding a separate registration for new customers

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 10-16-2003, 07:24 PM

Default Adding a separate registration for new customers

I'm going to explain this in some detail so the problem is clear. We are using 3.3.5 Gold.

Our new coustomers will be refered to our site by many different "merchants" we work with. When a new customer comes to our site for the first time from one of these merchant sites, we want the customer to fill in a very small registration before they can even see the x-cart. This small registration will require only the following:

First name
Last name
email (which will also be their username)
password (they choose)

In addition, we must set their membership level based on what merchant site they came from. We can pass a variable from the refering site (merchant_code=5000, for example) to get the proper level. We don't want the customer to see this level though, customers will have no idea we are using levels to set pricing.

The idea is to capture the customer's basic info and flag it with the refering merchant so that the customer is assigned to that level right away. This is essential.

Once this is done, the customer can browse the shop normally, and see the correct pricing level. I understand about the member levels and pricing, the issue we can't resolve is this special registration form.

Additionally, we would require the customer to fill out the standard registation form before being able to order anything. So this new form must be separate from the standard one.

To sum up, we want the customer to have to register with name, email, password, and member level (level being set invisibly based on refering site) before they can even enter the main site. Once this is done, customer is still required to fill out the standard registration form at any time prior to ordering.

We are so-so with PhP coding, so if you can help, please assume we are fairly noobish

Thanks for reading!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:05 AM

X-Guru

sounds like one for the professional help forum or have a word with xcart

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 10-18-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Update

Thanks Shan I sent a note to Quliteam. In the meantime I have this almost solved, but one thing is hanging me up.

I have a form that inserts the needed data into the customers table. Everything seems to work, the customer can log in and browse, and when I manage customers as an admin they are all there on the list. But, when either the customer or an admin trys to modify the profile using the standard X-cart form, the existing data does not appear in the form. You can input all the data there and then it shows up next time you modify. But the first time you go to modify, the existing data does not show.

All the data submitted by our form is in the table. The fields we input are firstname, lastname, usertype,membership,email,login,password.

Whats wierd is if I use phpMyAdmin and manually add a row to the table and type in the same data in those fields, the data DOES show in the modify form!

If anyone has any ideas please help.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:30 AM

X-Guru

maybe there are a few fields that get set as default when you use phpmyadmin that are not being set by your first form.

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 10-19-2003, 06:01 PM

I tried adding in the status, last login, first login and language fields, which are the only ones in the table that have defualt values. Still no luck. What could the difference be between typing the values directly in the table and Inserting those same exact values via a form? The records in the table look exactly the same after using either method, yet one method lets the standard form Get the data and the other method does not. What am I missing here?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:35 AM

X-Guru

maybe something that gets added to the seesions table when you sign up using xcart that isnt set using your form

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 10-20-2003, 03:48 AM

Shan you are like a teacher encouraging a promising student! Thanks for your continued input, I will figure this out with your help
Old 10-20-2003, 04:01 AM

X-Guru

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design