Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart - reBOOT - Responsive Template

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: X-Cart - reBOOT - Responsive Template

You mean, you contacted the author as part of a little personal vendetta? Well, there you have it folks, the real Jon Peters in action. Not for the first time either. I will contact the author to clear it up.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM

X-Guru

I contacted the author to help protect one of my clients who was using the template given that you have a history of illegal activities. I've posted this publicly to help protect others.

You can't just remove someones copyright and ownership of code and then claim at as your own and sell it, you put yourself and your clients at legal risk.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 PM

I really don't want to be in the middle of this... but unfortunately, it looks like I am.

I contacted the coder to see if we are allowed to continue to use this template. His response was:

Phill is doing illegal job, we never have extended license.
And never give anyone permission to sell our product.

So I give reference that I can also claim i'm CEO of Google, but technically i'm not.

Same applies to him, he is saying that he has extended licence and our permission.
But technically not

Thanks

----
I'm hoping that Phil does the correct thing and refunds our money so that we can get something else redeveloped for our store. This just leaves me incredibly sad. I spent weeks getting the template ready and the way we wanted it and now I have to do the same thing just 1 month later.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM

X-Guru

Ophelia, should you wish to not use the script, go to reBOOT settings, disable the option "Enable dynamic compressor".
Then delete /reboot_compressor.php from your site and computer.

Like I said, I was told the contrary regarding this script and I'm following it up. It's just a pity Jon likes to get off on this kind of thing.

I've disabled Github template access for now folks, sorry about that, you can thank Jon for that.

On a happier note, reBOOT v3 is in the pipeline.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:48 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJ
Ophelia, should you wish to not use the script, go to reBOOT settings, disable the option "Enable dynamic compressor".

Like I said, I was told the contrary regarding this script and I'm following it up. It's just a pity Jon likes to get off on this kind of thing.

Github template access is suspended for everyone folks, sorry about that, you can thank Jon for that.

I have strong confident on you and your nice reboot template.I know you can manage this small issue.

Keep on continuing and developing the reboot version.

No one in the x-cart team has built such a nice template and your support is great and satisfactory from my point of view.

I have strong believe and 100% faith on you and your reboot template.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
I've disabled Github template access for now folks, sorry about that, you can thank Jon for that.

Let's be clear, Github access has been disabled because you didn't want to pay a developer for his work so you removed his copyright and sold the code as your own.

All users of your template are currently using illegal software and could be at similar risk in having a DMCA claim against them to shut down their website hosting, suspend their payment merchant account, or maybe even removed from Google rankings. Internet laws tend to take theft of intellectual property very serious.

Instead of deflecting to me I would hope that you would instead focus on quickly and adequately addressing this problem for your template users so that won't happen.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:

I personally do not care what issues that you and Jon have. I do have an issue with the legal ramifications that are involved now that Abhimanyu has clearly represented that using the templates that contain his code is illegal. That template, even with the functionality disabled, still contains his code. I paid $169 for a template that contains code I can now not legally use.

I will be replacing reBoot with something else and I do expect a refund for reBoot.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
All users of your template are currently using illegal software and could be at similar risk in having a DMCA claim against them to shut down their website hosting, suspend their payment merchant account, or maybe even removed from Google rankings. Internet laws tend to take theft of intellectual property very serious.

Jon -> You know I use the reBOOT template. I'm using an $8.00 licensed version with the author's copyright. Please take me off what ever sort of list you're keeping.

Phil-> Please get any future agreements you make in writing.

Paul Harris

The following user thanks elmirage001 for this useful post:
PhilJ (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 AM

X-Cart team

It would be interesting to get a comments of the copyright owner here.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 AM

X-Adept

Talking Re: X-Cart - reBOOT - Responsive Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpheliaPayne
I personally do not care what issues that you and Jon have. I do have an issue with the legal ramifications that are involved now that Abhimanyu has clearly represented that using the templates that contain his code is illegal. That template, even with the functionality disabled, still contains his code. I paid $169 for a template that contains code I can now not legally use.

I will be replacing reBoot with something else and I do expect a refund for reBoot.

You'll struggle to find a better theme for x-cart for the price, why don't you just either disable the plugin or buy the license if you're that worried, it's $8. Just disabling the plugin will make you legal.

The support and help Phil offers is out of this world, don't worry.

Just to clear things up 99% of developers offer an extended license on Code Canyon which permits you to do what Phil has done.

Read http://codecanyon.net/licenses/extended

The following user thanks JacksmithxD for this useful post:
PhilJ (03-20-2014)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4