Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Abandoned Cart Reminder module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Abandoned Cart Reminder module released

I've had this mod installed for several months and to date have yet to have a single abandoned cart recovered. I've checked that it's working, generating coupons, etc, it is. There must be some tips as to how to recover a cart that someone has abandoned but so far it's not doing anything for my shop. Does anyone who has had success have any suggestions on the following settings:

After how many hours customer should be notified of abandoned cart?
How many notifications should be sent?
Delay between notifications (in hours)?

Also, the standard email looks something like this, any suggestions?

"You have received this notification from XYZ.com because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store.

Hello Joe!

You recently visited our site xyz.com (http://www.xyz.com), and we noticed that you still have a few items in your shopping cart. We would like to offer you a special discount towards your next purchase! Simply enter the coupon code iqphGiFM at checkout and you will save 10% on your current pending order. The coupon code expires on Sep 13, 2013 23:59.

If you have any questions or require special assistance, please contact us by replying to this email. We would be happy to help you.

Your shopping cart currently contains the following items:
Product: blue widget
Price: $20

You can go to your shopping cart directly by clicking the special link. "
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Veteran

This is personal opinion. As a customer I either buy right there on the spot or not bother to even put in cart at all. For so many years I have probably abandoned cart at checkout 2-3 times only and probably that was because there were surprises at checkout... which means no matter how many emails this cart will send me they will be deleted without even opening them...

If I left the cart at checkout there must be a good reason for it and sending out coupon most likely won't help either as I have already purchased the item from another place...

But this is me. Abandoned cart emails certainly generate sells with others.... probably....

With that said - you should not send more than one email no matter what. Any extra email will just aggravate customers. Also the text seems very generic and unprofessional to me
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
This is personal opinion. As a customer I either buy right there on the spot or not bother to even put in cart at all. For so many years I have probably abandoned cart at checkout 2-3 times only and probably that was because there were surprises at checkout... which means no matter how many emails this cart will send me they will be deleted without even opening them...

At the Affiliate Summit conference, I was bombarded by abandonment-solution companies, the most evil being, <upsellit.com>

Upsellit has cursor tracking tech and if if your cursor comes within a few pixels of the close box, a popup appears.... they also have "if you leave the page, a popunder with your cart appears" -- and they also have a live chat feature -- if your cursor appears to be leaving the cart - the chat popup appears. ALL of these technologies would piss me off that I would never buy from these stores.

There are many companies that are doing similar things...

OTOH, I have the Checkout_One tools from AlteredCart -- and that does have abandoned cart tech -- but I will never use it... but it is useful to see the frequency of abandoned carts and try to learn WHY a cart is abandoned... in my case, more than 50% of the time, my customers come back and check out within a week. Initial abandoned cart was due to distractions (baby, husband, The Bachelor, etc...) - and a percentage search for a coupon code, then checkout.

MY POINT -- abandoned cart best practices (and technology) are best left to a 3rd party if you want to go there... doing it yourself is like doing your own email auto-responders/mailing list or building your own affiliate network. Technically possible? Sure. Functionally competitive? Not a chance.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 AM

X-Man

If I know you give me bonuses like discounts, free stuff, because I abandon my cart, be sure I will take the advantages of this from now on. More than that, I will inform my friends to use this tip too.

I don't want to make people abandon their carts for small advantages. It is like a security hole. This module could generate selling if it is used smart.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrm
I've had this mod installed for several months and to date have yet to have a single abandoned cart recovered. I've checked that it's working, generating coupons, etc, it is. There must be some tips as to how to recover a cart that someone has abandoned but so far it's not doing anything for my shop. Does anyone who has had success have any suggestions on the following settings:

After how many hours customer should be notified of abandoned cart?
How many notifications should be sent?
Delay between notifications (in hours)?

Also, the standard email looks something like this, any suggestions?

Undoubtfully, it all depends on technique and the way you follow up your customers. There are a lot of tips in the internet regarding how to manage abanoned carts, how to do it properly. This module is a tool which helps you to set this system up.

Please read the following blogpost:
http://blog.x-cart.com/Abandoned_carts.html

and just type in "abandoned cart tips" in google and it will give you numerous of articles. There is no unique way of configuring it, it all depends on what you sell, whom you sell to and so on..
Try different configuations and see which one works better for you.

Change the follow up text to something which you find more appropriate to your store. Please also note that recently we've
improved the module and included product icons into the follow up email. So, you'd be probably interested in updating your module. Please see my previous posts for instructions.

Furthermore, as I've already mentioned in this thread, we've got a success story from Roger Martin at stand-out.net, our long time customer. He has been using Abandoned Cart Reminder, custom-developed though, for a considerable period of time.

We had a short interview with Roger before developing the module, I'll copy and paste it here:

Quote:
We knew abandoned carts was always a problem for all ecommerce websites, and customers would even register, go to checkout but still change their mind and not complete the purchase. This could be for many reasons - the price, just changed their mind on the item, delivery time or problems, they do not have enough money in their bank, etc. To encourage these customers to come back and shop, an automatic email is sent with a discount code.

So, on our store if a customer enters their personal details but does not complete the checkout process then 2 days later they would be emailed with an offer to come back to the website and purchase the products using a discount code.

Many customers have loved being contacted and given a chance to buy again at a reduced price

Abandoned cart system definitely works and generates income. I've got a lot of feedbacks from happy customers. I'll try to convince them to share their experience here.

You can also contact us via HelpDesk to discuss this issue further. Please refer to this thread when creating a new ticket.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:

If I left the cart at checkout there must be a good reason for it and sending out coupon most likely won't help either as I have already purchased the item from another place...

But this is me. Abandoned cart emails certainly generate sells with others.... probably....

With that said - you should not send more than one email no matter what. Any extra email will just aggravate customers.

Thank you for your opinion, Steve. There is nothing to argue about that all depends on a person who browses the site. There are pros and cons, but the fact is that abandoned carts and follow ups work and generate income.

Thank you for your opinion, Steve. There is nothing to argue about that all depends on a person who browses the site. There are pros and cons, but the fact is that abandoned carts and follow ups work and generate income.

Quote:
Also the text seems very generic and unprofessional to me

That's just a template. It can be easily modified via Languages page. If you could recommend a common text that would suit all merchants I'd appreciate it.

We are always open to suggestions.

Thank you.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
If I know you give me bonuses like discounts, free stuff, because I abandon my cart, be sure I will take the advantages of this from now on. More than that, I will inform my friends to use this tip too.

I don't want to make people abandon their carts for small advantages. It is like a security hole. This module could generate selling if it is used smart.

That's up to a merchant. Abandoned carts notifications can be sent with or without discount coupons. From the personal experience of Roger Martin discount coupons help a lot. So, it all depends on your tactic, strategy and technique.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM

X-Cart team

BTW, Abandoned Cart Reminder for 4.6.1 has been recently uploaded to the File area. Feel free to use.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
BTW, Abandoned Cart Reminder for 4.6.1 has been recently uploaded to the File area. Feel free to use.

Hello Rocky

Is it possible to also include a chat link within the email blast? Should we just make an icon and place the code in the email template?

I think it's important to give the customer an option to chat from clicking on the email.

Cheers.

X-Cart Mobile
X-Cart Snippits
X-Cart Refine Filters
X-Cart Cloud Back UP
X-Cart Make Model Year
X-Cart Abandon Cart
X-Cart Brain Tree Module
WebsiteCm - CMS Blog
WebsiteCM - SDSEO Pro
WebsiteCM - Custom Tabs
Website CM - Product A-Z Map
BCS - Pre Order
BCS - Quote Module
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog
Hello Rocky

Is it possible to also include a chat link within the email blast? Should we just make an icon and place the code in the email template?

I think it's important to give the customer an option to chat from clicking on the email.

Cheers.

Yes sure, you can just open the email template and add something like:

<a href="link_to_chat">Chat with us</a>

By the way, can you please specify which chat system do you use?
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements