Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Gdpr - upcoming law for European merchants

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Gdpr - upcoming law for European merchants

This is a BIG subject and is applicable to companies WORLDWIDE that do business in EUROPE.

@cflsystems -
Quote:
if any website/store does not need or want to accept and implement these rules...
- Steve, these GDPR rules are not optional. They apply Worldwide to any company doing business in the EU.

Here is a quick read to summarise the GDPR rules: -

Yes, The GDPR Will Affect Your U.S.-Based Business

Just my 2 cents...

I'll get my coat!

Kind regards

ITVV

Apache: 2.4.25
PHP: 7.4.5
MariaDB: 10.1.44
Arch: x86_64
Old 04-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Veteran

That's fine. However just because a company has online presence doesn't mean it does business with EU. if anything it is the choice of the EU customer to do business with that company.
I agree personal/financial data must be protected at all times. But at the same time it is the customer that places an order and provides the personal data voluntarily - or there will be no order. We already have the PCI-DSS rules which are very strict if you ask me. So this new one is more about the personal info.

Anyway I am not opposing it just think it is a little bit arrogant for EU to think they can dictate what businesses outside EU can or should do. Same applies to USA by the way - many examples how USA thinks they can tell everyone what to do...

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
...just because a company has online presence doesn't mean it does business with EU....
Exactly
This is just 1 more reason why all XC5 storeowners should (& looking at the post from @xim will...) have freedom of choice i.e Compliance option via an XC5 add-on / module.

It's also relevant to remember, that if a company has an online presence and does do business with EU.... they may still decide not to take any notice at all of GDPR.
That's another reason why all XC5 storeowners should have freedom of choice i.e Compliance option via an XC5 add-on / module.

There appears to be an assumption by some, that truck loads of unelected EU officials will automatically arrest any non-compliant GDPR company directors / employees after previously fining them on several occasions. It's only our opinion, but we could visualise hundreds of places where that's never ever going to happen, no matter what.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 PM

X-Wizard

I love how some Europeans are wagging their finger and warning us that will MUST comply with their new rules and that if we don't, we're going to be in big trouble. They assume they'll be able to fine people outside of the EU, lol. I reside in Japan, good luck with them trying to go though the court system here and get any money out of us for non-compliance - they have no jurisdiction here whatsoever. About the worst I can see them doing is holding up parcels going into the EU (out of the millions of parcels coming in daily) and in that case, we would be forced to comply I guess. They can "ask" us to comply, and we "might" comply with it, but this heavy handed BS they're trying to scare everyone with makes me less willing to comply with it. The reality is if we don't comply with it there isn't a thing they can do about it.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 04-09-2018, 07:18 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim

reposting

I don't know what the problem is, just follow this link and the majority if not all will find there is NOTHING to fear.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...lf-assessment/
2.4.6-31.el7.centos

4.6.x stalled for now

5.2.6 developing
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM

X-Wizard

@kevfromwiganinlancashire

That is an old, out of date service / requirement.

GDPR is the new kid on the block!

Kind regards

ITVV

Apache: 2.4.25
PHP: 7.4.5
MariaDB: 10.1.44
Arch: x86_64
Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 AM

X-Wizard

Also worth noting that GDPR was introduced from April 2016, so we've had a two year transition period to get compliant - so it's not a recent introduction.

Bottom Line - These rules are here to protect us as individuals so that we don't get bombarded with spam.

Any Non-EU site that doesn't want to comply can just disbale the list of EU countries from the their store so it prevents them from placing orders.... simple.
MySQL 5.6.37
CentOS 7.4

Chamber Internet
- Lancashire, United Kingdom
http://www.chamberelancs.co.uk

The following user thanks chamberinternet for this useful post:
ITVV (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:06 AM

X-Wizard

We don't have to comply and we can still accept orders from the EU, that's the point. I am not European, I don't live in Europe, if European customers find me online and wish to purchase from me that's on them, I am not beholden to the EU. They cannot enforce this. No, I doubt they can cross borders and impose fines on non Europeans in other countries, it's a scare tactic. About the only thing they might be able to do is prevent non-compliant companies from shipping into their countries, good luck on that. I'm calling the bluff...
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberinternet
...Bottom Line - These rules are here to protect us as individuals so that we don't get bombarded with spam...
Protect US Really? Says who? George Orwell?
This is a forum. It's made for different opinions. They may and ofter do differ...
Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrm
We don't have to comply and we can still accept orders from the EU, that's the point. I am not European, I don't live in Europe, if European customers find me online and wish to purchase from me that's on them, I am not beholden to the EU. They cannot enforce this. No, I doubt they can cross borders and impose fines on non Europeans in other countries, it's a scare tactic. About the only thing they might be able to do is prevent non-compliant companies from shipping into their countries, good luck on that. I'm calling the bluff...

Really ? you may find that is not the case, if you sell to EU customers - they have the weight of the EU behind them. So on a larger scale if you live in Canada, then Canada as a country agree to adhere to GDPR (as they as a country want to trade with the EU). If they are not GDPR friendly , protect scammers & criminals etc then things will become rather uncomfortable for them.

From what I understand - this is enforceable locally, so it wont be the EU taking you to court - and you wont have to attend a court case in Brussels etc - but you may find yourself in court in your own city.

I understand the issues (and agree with some of them) but in their defence the EU are standing up to scammers, fake rip off businesses, and also for their own citizens rights to privacy - which includes the right to be forgotten etc.

Now this is going to become interesting as to what the US Govt think with regards to the Patriot Act (and another US law whose name escapes me). Google in the EU in Dublin MUST conform to GDPR if they want to trade in the EU. The US Govt seems to think it has jurisdiction over Google whatever country they are trading in.

Ive been going to various GDPR meetings in the UK for some months both with the ICO Information Commissioners Officer (GDPR enforcement) and various GDPR law firms - I only go - as it is provided as free advice.

If you are in the UK and want some contacts - please PM me. It's complicated but you can make sure your boxes are ticked if you follow the processes and go through the checks / compliances etc

The following 3 users thank voodoo1967 for this useful post:
ITVV (04-10-2018), PhilJ (04-10-2018), rocky (04-19-2018)
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements