Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Header.tpl change

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-06-2002, 09:32 AM

Default Header.tpl change

I have been trying to change the header.tpl to match the layout of the site I created before I purchased X Cart. I can add a few elements individually such as logo or a background.. but when I try to get everything set up to look the same... i get a lot of errors or get a blank page so I restore and start over again.

Is there a way to to put the store in a bottom frame under my existing header and removing all header files and images from X Cart so it looks like it fits seamlessly or does this in some way affect the cart or the way it looks in certain browsers. I am mainly worried about Netscape and IE users.. they are 98% of my visitors.

If anyone has had some success completely changing their headers I would love some advice.

Btw... my main site is on PostNuke if anyone has had any experience combining the two scrtips please share your thoughts. Right now IM upgrading the 3.0 to 3.1.2 so I have no shop to show you right now.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Becca
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 AM

X-Guru

When you have a basic store set up let me know and ill take a look and see what can be done.

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 11-06-2002, 05:01 PM

X-Adept

Hi,

I was able to open the header.tpl in dreamweaver and see the layout of the elements. They look like broken links, but you can get an idea of what is what, where it is, and what edit.

Hope that helps!

ATKOgirl
Old 11-06-2002, 05:05 PM

eXpert

Hi Becca,

Quote:
Is there a way to to put the store in a bottom frame under my existing header and removing all header files and images from X Cart so it looks like it fits seamlessly or does this in some way affect the cart or the way it looks in certain browsers. I am mainly worried about Netscape and IE users.. they are 98% of my visitors.

I'm currently in an advanced stage developing a Frameset version of xcart, it's tricky, as I'm using 4 Frames in this development, however if I understand correctly what you require, that is; the header will consist of just the logo, then it's much easier to achieve. If your header contains Links, then these will all have to be amended to include the "_Target=" attribute.

If your header contains elements that require updating, then it becomes a major code re-write to dynamically update these elements when certain data changes.

Take a look at the Member Websites in the forum, they have all replaced the xcart headers in one way or another.

Regards,

Nothing is impossible, We just don't know how to do it ........Yet!

Xcart 4.1.X PRO (Testing Platform: winXP Pro)
Perl 5.8.7 (win32)
WINAMP 1.6.3 (win32 server package. Includes the following)
- phpMyAdmin v2.8.03
- MySql 5.0.21
- Apache 2.0.55 (win32)
- php 5.1.4
- SQLitemanager 1.2.0
Old 11-06-2002, 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone. Actually at first I was trying to put the header to my postnuke site in the place of the header... the header i was trying to include had a date and time script and I got most of it set up correctly.. except I got errors where the search and the language scripts are in the cart header... I don't need the language script.. and I have compiled all the templates to english just recently.

I would like to put the search lower or perhaps on the side in a block or side table... and am thinking of perhaps creating a psd file slicing it into pieces to create a table of images so i can have seperate links for the header of the shop...

I took a look at all the members sites listed in the forum and to me it seems like everyone is using one or two images/banners as the headers...
I don't have dreamweaver.. i have adobe go live and hotmetal pro... i tend to use notepad the most for all of my html code however and photoshop for grahpics... i can't seem to get hotmetal or golive to let me see the files i need... i think i'll be able to do it slowly... and perhaps not as exact as I would like it.. but im sure i'll get something good....eventually

here is my basic postnuke site ... http://bluegrassshopper.com you can click on shop to see that i have only changed the color of the menu header up to the point of this post.. may have more when and if anyone checks the site out... i have nothing on the site yet except for a logo...
and i would like to have that header ... minus the login and the topic search for the header of my shop... so when it clicks on shop it basically looks the same.. I will try and make the side tables to match the postnuke tables as well... lots of work.. but if i can get it the way i like it.. it will rule :) lol...
IM very into customizing everything i do... so I don't like to just do the minium to make it look decent... i know i'll figure it out eventually... just hoped someone might have an exact way to do it for me :) too good to be true huh?

thanks for any and all input!!!

Becca
Old 11-06-2002, 09:37 PM

X-Adept

Hi,

I've highly modifed our verson, including moving the search to a separate template and putting it on the main menu:

xcart2.999magazines.com

ATKOgirl
Old 11-06-2002, 09:52 PM

It looks great.. and is good inspiration to know that things can be modified... its a great big puzzle and I love it all... each script i play with I learn that much more.. thanks
Becca
Old 11-06-2002, 09:53 PM

X-Adept

Hi,

I couldn't sleep and was feeling ambitious...I tried playing with your current header.

You can try replacing the current head.tpl with the following code (remember to back up the original):

Code:
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"> <TBODY> <TR> <TD background="BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/background-4.gif" bgColor=#ffffff>[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/vertical-divider-topsolid.gif[/img]<FONT class=slogan> </FONT></TD> <FORM action=modules.php?op=modload&amp;name=News&amp;file=index&amp;topic= method=post> <TD align=right background="BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/background-4.gif" bgColor=#ffffff><NOBR><FONT color=#000000 face=verdana,Arial,helvetica size=2>topics :</FONT> <SELECT name=new_topic onchange=submit()><OPTION selected value="">All topics</OPTION> Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/bgshop/public_html/themes/LinuxDeveloper/theme.php on line 77</SELECT> </NOBR></TD></FORM></TR> <TR> <TD background="BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/background-2solid.gif" bgColor=#ffffff width="99%">[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/spacer.gif[/img]</TD> <TD align=right background="BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/background-2solid.gif" bgColor=#ffffff><NOBR>[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/link-newsfeed.gif[/img][img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/link-community.gif[/img]</NOBR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=bottom> <TD align=left>[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/logo.jpe[/img]</TD> <TD align=right> [img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/tab-home-normal.gif[/img][img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/tab-aboutus-normal.gif[/img][img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/tab-learn-normal.gif[/img]</TD></TR> <TR vAlign=bottom> <TD align=middle background="BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/topbg.gif" bgColor=#000000 colSpan=2 width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE align=center border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%" nowrap> <TBODY> <TR> <TD bgColor=#000000 colSpan=6>[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/pixel.gif[/img]</TD></TR> <TR bgColor=#a8a8a8> <TD noWrap width="20%"> <FORM action=user.php method=post><FONT class=infoa>Login</FONT><INPUT class=textbox maxLength=25 name=uname size=11><FONT class=infoa>Password</FONT><INPUT class=textbox maxLength=20 name=pass size=11 type=password></form></TD> <TD align=left vAlign=center width="100%"><INPUT border=0 src="BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/login.gif" type=image>[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/register.gif[/img]<INPUT name=op type=hidden value=login></TD> <TD align=right noWrap width="50%"><FONT class=date> <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- // Array ofmonth Names var monthNames = new Array( "January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December"); var now = new Date(); thisYear = now.getYear(); if(thisYear < 1900) {thisYear += 1900}; // corrections if Y2K display problem document.write(monthNames[now.getMonth()] + " " + now.getDate() + ", " + thisYear); // --> </SCRIPT> </FONT></TD></TR> <TR> <TD bgColor=#000000 colSpan=6>[img]BluegrassShopper_Com Your one stop shop for all things Bluegrass Tickets, Cd's, Gear, Instruments, Equipment, Videos_files/pixel.gif[/img]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <P align=right><FONT class=date></FONT> <DIV align=center></DIV>

There was one sql error that I noticed in the code around the "All topics" vicinity. You'll probably have to do some tweaking there.

At best it is a starting point to work with. I would think you might be able to open the file in Go Live -- it's worth a try.

Good Luck! Let me know if it works -- it most likely won't!

I really like the design of your site.

From a design standpoint, with good chunk of time and effort you should be able to integrate x-cart into the look seamlessly -- but it will take patience and some design skill. Once you grasp the nuances of the Smarty templates and how everything fits together like a jigsaw puzzle, it gets much easier.

Hope that helps!

ATKOgirl
ATKOgirl
Old 11-07-2002, 05:30 AM

Oh you are too sweet :) Thanks so much... unfortuanately it did to me what it has been doing off and on... creating a small top image and nothing else at all until i delete the head.tpl from my server and upload the initial one... it seems all the php code gets in the way... thanks for the encouragement though... it does help.. and since i have been making way with the table header images... i know i'll be able to get the background images in the tables as well... this will be fun....

What i get when viewing in golive is just the code... perhaps the instructions on getting it viewable in dreamweaver might help for me... actually i have a version of dreamweaver on a cd somewhere.. just don't really want to install it unless i have to :)

thanks again and I"ll keep you up to date on how it integrates.. might help others wanting to use postnuke and xcart together... looking the same...

Becca
Old 11-07-2002, 10:54 AM

ATKOgirl,
Could you share how to get the search table to work. I have tried to create it and just can't seem to insert it into the left table.
Thanks so much!
Becca
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design