Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

rubymods or shippingkit for fedex labels???

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: rubymods or *********** for fedex labels???

It could not say for sure what will be the exact result of this action but as soon as the situation will be clarified we will post more information.
Using such addons is already not 100% legal because major shipping companies like FedEx, UPS and DHL allow to use their shipping interfaces only by certified software.
However small developer firms often ignore these requirements because they are too small to interest the layers of big shipping companies.
We are now undegoing the proccess of certification with FedEx and DHL and soon will be presenting our own certified solutions for the shipping purposes.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
We are now undegoing the proccess of certification with FedEx and DHL and soon will be presenting our own certified solutions for the shipping purposes
Any chance of UPS integration? They don't require much as far as licensing... in fact, they publish the entire SDK (registration required). UPS has gone from "worst to first" as far as their IT department... The UPS "WorldShip" software is great. All kinds of import and export options for a merchant. In the US, UPS really has a lock on ground shipping, and they have cut 1-2 days off of delivery times in the NY - LA market. In fact, UPS ground delivery times are 1-2 days better (for long distance transactions) than Fedex ground or DHL, so using these companies for ground is not doing my customers any favors... AND UPS rates for businesses with "daily pickup" are about 25-28% less than published retail.

UPS rocks!

UPS Label integration (and tracking) with X-Cart would be high on my "I want it now" list. The UPS SDK allows for merchant branding, and an integrated solution. Who should we write to to formally request this?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 AM

X-Cart team

Actually UPS has the most strict certification requirements that also involve testing of the software by independent testing lab. API is public but if you are going to sell the software that integrates with UPS the certification is mandatory. Fortunately X-Cart is already certified by UPS http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/offering/technology/alliances/application_ecommerce.html#X%2DCart+...art+ Software
and LiteCommerce is in the process of certification.

As for the UPS WorldShip we have already implemented the integration with this software but unfortunately it was not included in 4.1 release.
We will include the export to UPS Worldship utility in one of the upcoming versions.

Last edited by verbic : 09-22-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbic
Actually UPS has the most strict certification requirements that also involve testing of the software by independent testing lab. API is public but if you are going to sell the software that integrates with UPS the certification is mandatory. Fortunately X-Cart is already certified by UPS http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/offering/technology/alliances/application_ecommerce.html#X%2DCart+...art+ Software
and LiteCommerce is in the process of certification.

As for the UPS WorldShip we have already implemented the integration with this software but unfortunately it was not included in 4.1
We will include the export to UPS Worldship utility in one of the upcoming versions.

Aha... so since you guys are commercial, the license changes from "Here, go to town..." to the commercial version...

WorldShip integration would be ideal (and really, the only/best way to do this, since WorldShip makes things so easy) -- my only gripe with WorldShip is that UPS insists that we use their BUTT UGLY "Quantum View Notify" system if we want to integrate tracking for the customer.

In my more perfect world, the workflow would be:
1. Order is processed.
2. Fulfillment staff does a batch export of orders into UPS WorldShip. Box size/shipping method/weight and other shipping details are confirmed.
3. Labels are generated and printed from WorldShip
4. WorldShip exports data.
5. X-Cart reads WorldShip data, adds tracking number WITH LINK to order record
6. Order is marked "processed" and invoice sent to customer.
7. Customer gets invoice WITH tracking LINK (as opposed to just the tracking number)
8. Everyone is happy.

The reason i want the tracking LINK (as opposed to Quantum View) is that I want all communication about the order to come from me, not a 3rd party. I am constantly bombarded with UPS emails -- and it's hard to tell them apart without viewing them (The subject header doesn't say, "UPS tracking information for your order from COMPANY NAME..." -- no, it says:

Quote:
message subject:
UPS Ship Notification, Tracking Number 1Z1234567890123456

message subject:
This message was sent to you at the request of COMPANY NAME to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact COMPANY NAME directly.

My goal is to NOT USE Quantum View, and have the "your order is processed" email include a tracking link, so the customer receives an email from ME, and they can track directly from the email (as opposed to having to copy/paste, etc...) -- do you understand/agree with this desired workflow?

Are you guys going to make this happen? Soon, I hope?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 AM

eXpert

Hi Jeremy,
We've built the exact functionality you've described regarding UPS Worldship integration and will be releasing a mod shortly.

In regard the point about FedEx certification in this thread, we have worked with FedEx and what happens in the case of our module is that the customer obtains the certification from FedEx by sending in some test labels before being able to print live labels.

Regards,
Rubyaryat
4.2.3 gold [Unix]
Old 09-22-2006, 06:15 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyaryat
Hi Jeremy,
We've built the exact functionality you've described regarding UPS Worldship integration and will be releasing a mod shortly.

Sounds great. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 AM

X-Adept

I figures... Just when I can say that I have found a truely great company to do custom work for us, something like this has to come along.... Well I guess I better fire off my own e-mail to them and see if we still have a project or not...

X-Cart 4.6.6
X-Payments 3.0
ReBOOT 3.4.1

PHP 5.6.30
MySQL 5.6.35
Linux 2.6.32-042stab120.18
ionCube PHP Loader v4.7.3
Perl 5.10.1
Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
We are now undegoing the proccess of certification with FedEx and DHL and soon will be presenting our own certified solutions for the shipping purposes.

Do you have any estimated release time?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:43 AM

X-Man

Quote:
It could not say for sure what will be the exact result of this action but as soon as the situation will be clarified we will post more information.
Using such addons is already not 100% legal because major shipping companies like FedEx, UPS and DHL allow to use their shipping interfaces only by certified software.

I am not using a shipping addon. The addon does not interface nor interact with any third party, other that thge litecommerce program itself. So my question stands.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 PM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsabeel
Do you have any estimated release time?

This functionality will be included in 4.1.4
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4