Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Product Import Problem

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Product Import Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie
It is technical, not user-friendly, easy to break, and the error message is not helpful.

I agree, that error message does not help much that is why we already implemented the better error messages that would help merchants.

What would you say is the user-friendly approach?

As for easy to break, what do you mean?

Thank you for feedback anyway! I really like when we can discuss the possibilities of making X-Cart better. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:56 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
What would you say is the user-friendly approach?
Allow any filename and auto-detect the format/type of import from the file submitted. If it still can't figure it out then prompt the user to choose something specific on the screen like Products.

Quote:
As for easy to break, what do you mean?
As evidenced in this thread, a minor mistake in the naming of a file breaks the whole process. It's a step that shouldn't exist and did not exist in v4. The process should be getting simpler.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:44 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie
Allow any filename and auto-detect the format/type of import from the file submitted. If it still can't figure it out then prompt the user to choose something specific on the screen like Products.

As evidenced in this thread, a minor mistake in the naming of a file breaks the whole process. It's a step that shouldn't exist and did not exist in v4. The process should be getting simpler.

In X-Cart 4, you specified the type of data inside your file like [!PRODUCTS]. In X-Cart 5 you do the same, but in filename. Spelling mistakes in this areas would break the process in both versions.

I like the idea of choosing what data we are importing from e.g. selectbox, but import in X-Cart 5 allows you to pack different types of files (users, product, product attributes etc) into single zip file alongside with images and then import it all at once. This is a great approach as well.

I believe, we will get back to improving import routine in the future to make it even better, but I cannot see the major flaws in the current implementation.

If I still did not get your idea, please let me know.

Tony.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)