Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Buy $xxx get product X for free Coupon

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 04-25-2003, 02:12 PM

X-Man

Default Buy $xxx get product X for free Coupon

I would love a coupon that allows me to specify a free product if the sale is over X amount. The link would have to be based on ProductID or SKU if possible. I certainly wouldn't want to lose realtime inventory tracking.

An option for whether shipping is applicable on that free product or not would be useful to some.

A customer meeting the coupon amount would apply the code and the product would appear in the cart at a price of $0. If they remove items from the cart, the free product would disappear if the cart total drops below the coupon threshold.

This would be a great addition to the X-Cart arsenal! The most important thing is to treat your customers well, have the email templates explain what you need them to, and the opportunity to market/sell/promote be everywhere.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:14 AM

X-Wizard

This would be great!

I'm just searching the archives for a way to do just this (looks like not possible)

I would also like to be able to offer a discount on a certain product if the total order is over a set amount, eg order over бё15 get product X for half price...

i wish i wish i wish...

Previous Versions included
BCSE Reward Points Mod
Altered Cart On Sale Mod
Wordpress Plugin

Please don't PM me for support. I help where I can on the forum and your question will more likely be answered there.

Shout me a Coffee!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:25 AM

X-Man

Im after something similair for 4.0.5

Our supplier has sent us 45 bottles of shower foam to give away to our customer , which we want to do if they order 3 items of anything or spend over a certain amount (havent decided which yet).

So what i'm looking to do is add the item as a product but not make it visible on the shop and give it a 0.00 price.

Then somehow be able to automatically add it to the basket if the order is over say бё30.00 or total item quantity is > 3

Looks like it might be a mod job but wallet is looking a little thin these days so it might have to wait.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:33 AM

X-Adept

I've actually done this mod before. It was quite complex because it affected the big hairy functions in func.php that create the cart object & your order totals, etc. That means that your upgradability goes right out the window.

We had done just what cotc said, add a product to the cart, but we let it be visible. If you used a certain coupon code it would add the product to the cart automatically and set the value of the coupon to the price of the product. If you removed the coupon, or didn't qualify anymore (because you removed something from the cart, etc.) then the product would just be full price and still in your cart.

Sadly, the mod was done for 3.3.4 and would have to be recreated for a current version of the cart. And, again, because it touches some of the sensitive parts of the cart, I don't want to code it, release it, support it, and follow x-cart's upgrades with it and I wouldn't expect any of the other devs to want to do that either.

One solution I have seen, though, is to just add an option to a product. Put in the description that this product comes with a free t-shirt, then put "Free Shirt Color" as a product option and make sure the people packing your orders know to include a free shirt!

That approach is very safe, but also very limited.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:53 AM

X-Man

My site is sooo mod'ed simple upgradeing is straight out the window anyway.

The mod you created seems quite different in what I had in mind, you describe it as having to enter a code for getting the free productr, what I was thinking was more automatic (your mod sounded good though), so the customer didnt have to do anything extra to get their free gift.

I think the option for the moment is just to mention the promotion quite visually on the home page and just word it as "buy 3 items and we'll pop this in the bag for you as well" and not to bother to actually list it in the invoice....... well do that for the moment anyway until I have time to get my head around creating a proper brief for the mod.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 AM

X-Adept

Not having that "free" product on the invoice -- that gonna mess up your books?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:05 AM

X-Man

No coz they were free to us, our supplier has given them away to us for nothing to use as incentives i.e the more our customers buy, the more we need to order from our supplier
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 AM

X-Guru

im sure something like this in in the pipeline from xcart from the bits of code i see in latest upgrades. could be wrong though

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 AM

X-Man

I don't think i'll be upgrading now until it hit's stable , i've got it pretty much working the way I want to without any major problems and to upgrade now would just be for the sake of it.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:26 AM

X-Guru

i assume it will be a add on / paid for mod like x-aom.

again just guessing

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions