Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

2 Different headers for same site

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 AM

X-Adept

Default 2 Different headers for same site

I have a logic question how would you solve this issue. I have a project where the shop name has 2 different meanings for the same word, so both are going to be used, however the logo would appear differently to reflect this if you were in one section or the other. Essentially there would be 2 homepages with tabs. To avoid creating 2 separate stores would there be a logical way to achieve this?

Ultimate 5.4 testing
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: 2 Different headers for same site

Hi,

My main concern would be SEO rankings - especially when the word is the same (just the meaning is different!)

Couple of comments...
As I see it, for SEO reasons it really only makes sense for one store to use two "Parent Categories", rather than two homepages... which still means one homepage.
Logic being that every PAGE can only be indexed for 1 really (or 2 if lucky) main keywords and I am not sure how you would reflect two homepages to have equal SEO weighting or even have two homepages really!!!
As essentially no matter how you set things up whichever content is used on the www.domainname.com/ page will be seen to be the domain website's "homepage" (main site page) for SEO as I understand it.

So I would consider a custom homepage with two link options on it - a link to "parent category 1" and a link to "parent category 2".

Outside of this, if they really must be separate main words, which deserve separate websites... then do that and run two separate sites on two different domain names / two different IP addresses (the easy way to do that as you know would be to use two copies of X-Cart / 2 separate stores to do that).

I hope my comments do help to some degree
Cheers, Asiaplay

The following user thanks Asiaplay for this useful post:
RichieRich (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 AM

X-Adept

Thank you I think it will go to 2 separate websites after consideration

Ultimate 5.4 testing

The following user thanks RichieRich for this useful post:
Asiaplay (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:16 AM

X-Wizard

Yeah - just make sure the backlinks (& social media mentions) for each store website reinforce the "meaning" of each key"WORD".

SEO on sites can be a bit difficult sometimes...
E.g. without backlinks / social media links I had one store website where the keyword used on the homepage (& emphasised / on-page optimised) was over-ridden by a sub-categorie's (not main keyword) just as that sub-category had many more products within it repeating another keyword (i.e. Google saw the site to be about the keyword which related to the most products!!! Even though on-page factors for top level pages, was not that keyword Google decided the website was about).
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)