Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.1.0 beta 1 released

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Advanced Member

What happens to the subcategories.tpl, I checked this file trying to fix the right-border overflowed subcategory page, look at here at http://www.x-cart.com/demo_preview/home.php?cat=3 I didnБ─≥t find anything wrong in subcategories.tpl, could anyone fix this on 4.1.0
Fashion mosaic
Tabbed product menu
Old 10-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Advanced Member

It looks nice when I comment out this image icon line in subcategories.tpl
{*if $tmp} [img]{if $current_category.icon_url}{$current_category.icon _url}{else}{$xcart_web_dir}/image.php?id={$cat}&type=C{/if}[/img] {/if*}
but how do I make it looks neat with this included?
Fashion mosaic
Tabbed product menu
Old 10-27-2005, 05:50 PM

I noticed the following enhancement listed:

advanced membership system: ability to assign one or more memberships to each of the products, categories, payment methods, tax rates and discounts;

Does this mean that shipping methods can/will be defined by membership levels in the new release?

I know this was a common question and request in the past. Retail members would have one shipping method available, and wholesale customers would have another. Retail customers would not have the wholesale shipping option available, and vice versa. This would make life so much easier - if I am interpreting this enhancement correctly.

Also, forgive me if this question was asked and answered already, I didn't see it in the previous posts: What's the anticipated ETA for the production release?

Thanks to all.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:07 AM

X-Adept

I don't know if this has been requested or not, but at least basic support for users with disabilities would be good to have default in the 4.1 templates.

At least basic Priority 1 Conformance Level A would be great.
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#priorities

We have tried our best to meet these basics but there are so many templates that need to be changed from their default that performing later upgrades with the Xcart upgrade tool becomes a nightmare of tedium.

It would also be great to see tab indentation for code blocks become standard. This generally makes reading over the code structure of the templates far easier.
MySQL 5.1.68
Apache 2.2.23
Old 10-29-2005, 10:30 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuAlpha
I don't know if this has been requested or not, but at least basic support for users with disabilities would be good to have default in the 4.1 templates.

At least basic Priority 1 Conformance Level A would be great.
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#priorities

We have tried our best to meet these basics but there are so many templates that need to be changed from their default that performing later upgrades with the Xcart upgrade tool becomes a nightmare of tedium.

It would also be great to see tab indentation for code blocks become standard. This generally makes reading over the code structure of the templates far easier.
Yes, both of these would be great!
Old 10-29-2005, 10:35 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
NNNNNNnnnooooooooo..........

I hate that!
Old 10-29-2005, 10:55 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
Quote:

I hate that!

Why so?

Besides, if you don't like it is far easier to just select everything and hit "shift + tab" until it all squishes over the left-hand side of the screen. It is a LOT more tedious to have to properly indent each line of code.

I work on code 14-18 hours a day and it is a ton easier to pick out any given portion of the code that I need to work with if it has a visible structure rather than just a mess of tags all lumped together.
MySQL 5.1.68
Apache 2.2.23
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan
The focus should be on making xcart as compatible / cleanly coded / intuitive / simple for shoppers to use as possible

Amen to that!

Taking the choke out of the "choke points" (especially checkout) makes shoppers much happier, reduces abandoned carts, and makes them spend more and revisit more often.

I like how you simplified some things on your client's sites. Your checkout sequence still seems kinda long, though.

I wish there was an option for a one or two page checkout. Even one page tests better in most A/B split tests, as it seems most of today's customer now prefer tabbing/scrolling (which is instant) over clicking (which incurs a delay).

People don't like delays, and they certainly hate MULTIPLE PAGES of paperwork. A single page has the illusion of being just that... one page. That's my guess as to why it wins.
BCSE: Referral Pts-Surveys-BatchUp-OrderEZ- Reviews-RSS
FT: Glossary-OptCopt-AdvSrch-Recently Viewed-Also Bought
CM: eZConversion
XP: SalesRecovery, MultCrncy
Old 10-29-2005, 12:01 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hate that!

Why so?

Besides, if you don't like it is far easier to just select everything and hit "shift + tab" until it all squishes over the left-hand side of the screen. It is a LOT more tedious to have to properly indent each line of code.

I work on code 14-18 hours a day and it is a ton easier to pick out any given portion of the code that I need to work with if it has a visible structure rather than just a mess of tags all lumped together.

I work on code for hours a day too and I used to like code that was separated.

Now I like all my code on the left.
I am able to work much faster because all opening tags are in the same place on the page so I can quickly scroll and keep my eye in the same spot and know where I am in the code. Any indentation is a mess.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:17 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Now I like all my code on the left.
I am able to work much faster because all opening tags are in the same place on the page so I can quickly scroll and keep my eye in the same spot and know where I am in the code. Any indentation is a mess.
My preference is indenting nested tags, like:
Code:
<div class="foo"> <div class="top"> some stuff </div> <div class="bottom"> more stuff </div> </div>
I also think it adheres to xhtml standards.
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements