Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

SEO of X-Cart versus static pages

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Default SEO of X-Cart versus static pages

I have used frontpage for years and have very good rankings for static .htm pages and .asp pages. The switch to a new dynamic cart is long overdue, but I am concerned about losing search engine page rank!

- Has anyone else gone from static pages to X-Cart dynamic (.html) pages and experience a big change in search engine rankings?

(I realize 301 redirects should be used & I will still optimize the page text and meta tags the same as my current pages)

All else on my site being equal, will the Dynamic process that X-cart uses hurt my site? Or, do you feel Google will see the x-cart .html pages in the same way they see my current static pages?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: SEO of X-Cart versus static pages

The way search engines see your site is nearly the same as an user.
It loads a page and is sent a static page regardless if you use a dynamic solution (which will still, in the very end show as static) or static.

The difference will be the actual code location and such which may or may not hurt your SEO. The higher up content is, the more relevance it has. So if you actually optimize your install, it won't hurt it at all and since your selling items it may actually help you.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks Tal,

My current sites, made with Frontpage, have a lot of tables, have old code and thus a lot of code. I currently sell products on my sites, but use an old cart that basically pastes "add to cart" features on static .asp pages. So hopefully the switch to X-cart will help with SEO because the content should be higher on the pages.

I see you are using CDSEO. Does this help with SEO, or does the current version of X-cart do most of what CDSEO does?

CDSEO is priced reasonably, so if it helps I am sure it is worth the money. However, I want to limit the mods I install to make upgrading to future versions easier.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:53 PM

X-Adept

CDSEO can help if used correctly. It also makes editing the usual fields for SEO much easier.
Compared to the standard SEO option included in X-cart, CDSEO blows it away without issue. Upgrading, changing your URLs and everything is very easy to do.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:31 AM

Veteran

CDSEO won't affect your upgrades, and it is an ESSENTIAL add-on IMHO. Also, you should notice no difference between a dynamic X-Cart page and a static page other than page load times. If you had tables before and you convert to CSS you should see a pretty good result from that alone.
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project