^^ It's a rare strain of bud called "Backwards Haze."

It makes you see reality as opposite to what it really is
Old 08-16-2003, 01:56 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: what have

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorocket
what have you been smoking?

vbulletin is highly rated, and if you compare the board to your other options, you will have about 4 times the compile and load time as other boards at least, more if you have a large board. I really just laugh at people who think vbulletin is the greatest piece of software in the universe, its nice, stable, and has lots of support, but it certainly isn't the end all of forum software.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:03 AM

X-Guru

Certainly it's not the be-all to end-all forum, as I don't think such a forum exists, however as a user who has used every forum imaginable, and runs an active forum with nearly 1 million posts, and 9,000 active posters, I wouldn't recommend anything but vbulletin.

The recode for this new version should make it much more efficient, however anybody who runs any type of forum should rely on having a decent dedicated server for it, as opposed to trying to choose their forum based on having it work on a shared hosting package.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:11 AM

Advanced Member

I guess we agree to disagree, I personally run a few car enthusiast forums, one of which is about 2-3 the size of your forum, and vbulletin is a pig of a piece of software, even the new beta version that I tried, in fact, more so. One thing that I consider myself "well versed" in is forums, as I am actually a developer for one of top 5 pieces of forum software, which ironically, I don't even use for my own sites, mainly because it caters to a different user. To me, in terms of a forum software, you have to balance utility and efficiency, and although vbulletin excels in utility, as it is feature rich, it is weighty, but carries its weight well no doubt. But when I am looking for a piece of forum software, I compare page generation times etc, among other factors, and in terms of performance it is consistantly 3-5 times slower than the other choices out there. Just my opinion guys, although I would like to beleive that I have experience to substantiate it
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 PM

X-Adept

Default bloated ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbak
I guess we agree to disagree, I personally run a few car enthusiast forums, one of which is about 2-3 the size of your forum

you have no idea, who, what , when and where our company has put up bulletins so to even make a statement of complete arrogance is off the mark, no one cares about the size of your forums or your bloated ego. What people care about is integrating vbulletin with x-cart, if people want phpbb integrated with x-cart then get it done also.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:21 PM

Advanced Member

Or maybe your statement is of complete and utter inane imbecility. We were discussing the size of forums, and whether we would trust the forum software with that size of a board or not. Yes, the thread was slightly thread-jacked, but the discussion was valid. So either you are wholly oblivious and ignorant, or you failed to read the last few posts.

Oh and by the way, I don't care if my board or your board is bigger, it was a statement of fact, not to prove anything. Maybe since you obviously were "threatened" by it, maybe you are the one that is trying to prove something
Old 08-17-2003, 04:32 PM

X-Guru

Didn't mean to start a flamming war of which was better... Just stating my opionion as it seems with everyone else. Opionions are like asses we all have them and they all stink.

Old 08-17-2003, 05:44 PM

X-Adept

Default oh please

you appartently have nothing better to do with your time
Old 08-17-2003, 06:16 PM

X-Guru

Beef on message forums about message forums, I've seen it all now

Personally I love the functionality of vbulletin and every other message forum has lacked something in comparison. I run a dual xeon dedicated server, so I have no problems. I don't care what you guys use, and that's why I'd like vbulletin integrated
Old 08-17-2003, 06:21 PM

Advanced Member

On the note of functionality, have you ever used the new versions of Invision...it is actually very comparable in terms of feel and functionality. You have a nice dedicated setup, dual xeon My major quim is end user load time though, I guess maybe I spend too much of my day on forum boards, but the difference between .05 and .5-.7 to me is drastic in terms of everyday usage. Maybe I am just a dork :P
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4