X-Guru

Default Re: BCS ENgineering MObile Mod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thm4DNgWB64
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
Google will soon start penalizing sites that do not have a mobile version!
I don't think this is true. In the blog they were talking about penalizing for improper redirect not if the site is accessed on mobile device and that site has desktop version only.
Many sites right now when you try go to particular page either directly or from search results on Google will detect mobile device in use and redirect to site's mobile version. If this redirect is not to the page in question the site will be penalized. This is what I got from their blog post. As well as they were saying in many cases responsive design may be a better way of doing instead of mobile site redirect....
Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM

X-Guru

Probably but that is becoming such a large chunk now. Here's another article on it.

http://www.internetretailer.com/2013/06/13/google-cracks-down-mobile-laggards

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
Probably but that is becoming such a large chunk now. Here's another article on it.

http://www.internetretailer.com/2013/06/13/google-cracks-down-mobile-laggards

Great link, Carrie. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
There are three things a retailer must do, Klais explains. First, a retailer▓s site must have what is known as a ⌠vary header■ that indicates user agent (the mobile platform initiating a request); this tells Google that the content at the URL varies by user agent, Klais says. Second, for desktop pages and mobile pages that correspond to one another, retailers must insert on the desktop page a meta-tag called an alternate tag that identifies the mobile version of the desktop page and the mobile URL, Klais says. And third, to complete the loop, retailers must insert on the mobile page a meta-tag called a canonical tag that identifies the desktop version of the page and the desktop URL, Klais says.

⌠These are the things mobile marketers have to do if they want their mobile content high up in search results,■ Klais says. ⌠Most retailers do not comply with this yet.■

So a mobile TEMPLATE that serves mobile devices is not doing a redirect, and is within the guidelines, right?

If an Xcart store has a template for desktop/tablet (responsive or not) and a template for cell phones, with correct "vary header" and meta alternate tag, we will be good for google, right?

is this how your template works?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM

X-Guru

Hey Jeremy,

Yes I believe ours would be within guidelines. After reading this article though I wanted to check with the staff to be 100% sure. I'm currently out on vacation so I can't check right now. I'll try to do that when I get back but feel free to bug me if it slips my list to-do. Usually I have quite the backlog when I get back.

thanks,

Carrie

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 AM

With the change to Google rankings around the corner, we wanted to remind everyone that our Mobile Mod - http://www.bcsengineering.com/store/mobile-mod-for-x-cart.html - is a fast way to address this change. The consideration for mobile-friendliness begins on April 21st and this is a relatively cheap and easy fix to help make sure your site is not negatively affected. Also, we can further customize the module to match your site!

If you're interested in customizations, please fill out the form at the following link - http://www.bcsengineering.com/free_quote/ - for a free quote.

Mario
BCS Engineering
Old 03-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Advanced Member

We just bought this module for our old xcart site. I successfully installed this on our site but seems the images and css files are not pointing to the right location. Can you take a look into it? the site is www.hevlacoffeeco.com
Old 03-17-2016, 05:43 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue_tiano
We just bought this module for our old xcart site. I successfully installed this on our site but seems the images and css files are not pointing to the right location. Can you take a look into it? the site is www.hevlacoffeeco.com

I believe we got this cleared up on the weekend in email. Let me know if you still need help.

Thanks,

Carrie

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4