Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Static Page HTML (Img Width / Forms) Coding Issue

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 10-27-2016, 07:20 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Static Page HTML (Img Width / Forms) Coding Issue

Steve:

I understand this, and have been an XCart user for over 13 years. However, we are losing a lot of the "do what you want with it" functionality. It is becoming more and more difficult to perform the simplest modifications, and it is becoming horrendous to work with.

I started developing sites by hand before it was popular, then used Front Page and Dreamweaver to develop more complex sites. In fact, I had the very first "secure online ordering" automotive site on the Internet. Now, I often want to scream at this software and the developers for making this so complex and lacking considerable common sense functionality.

For example, I'm using the "Fitness" template and the category flyout cells are so tall that you have to scroll all the way down multiple pages to reach the end, when they should all be in a small upper section. It's easier to win the lottery than find the correct CSS to fix it ... of wait, scratch that, a new MODULE must be created to fix it---and why it is still not fixed.

Sam Solace - Pres/CEO
Century Performance Center, Inc.
http://www.centuryperformance.com

(3) sites using X-Cart 5.3.5.5
X-Payments Enterprise 3.1.4
Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Veteran

No I agree with you. XC4 is a lot more easier to modify and work with. Especially for XC users who want to do some things themselves.

But at the same time you need to do what you do best and leave the rest to whoever dose it for a living.
I can do simple repairs to my car as well but with newer models or different makers I may find it is more difficult or impossible to do same repairs myself anymore. They put more electronics, need special tools, etc. So I can either frustrate myself, lose a lot of time and eventually break an expensive part or I can go to a professional and pay for the service.

Someone or something has to compromise. There is no ideal situation.
It has been said many times in here - if you like doing things yourself for one reason or another and you know the cart stay with XC4. There is really no need to jump to XC5. XC4 is great, powerful, plenty of 3rd party support and believe me even after QT stops development of XC4 the platform will be alive for many ears to come thanks to all the 3rd party devs.

I know how it sounds - you have to create custom module - but unfortunately this is the reality with XC5. After a long battle I come to realize it is take it or leave it....
Old 10-29-2016, 10:32 AM

I agree with both sides here - as I definitely like the flexibility as it is the reason I have stayed with XC after 10+ years it seems.

But I have another XC5 question as well.

It was recommended in the thread that we use the theme tweaker for editing any part of the cart - but we are unable to make customized emails that we send to customers regarding shipping info etc.

i.e.
/www/skins/mail/common/order_tracking_information/body.twig etc.

I know in XC4 we could view a directory of files and edit as we needed to - but (as I am not sure where this is at current) is there an easy way via theme tweaker where you can do that?

Currently i just edit the direct twig files, redeploy the store each time I try and tweak these - which obviously is not recommended. But I'm no sure of any other direct way to do so?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:02 AM

X-Guru

I've been told by the XC5 dev team that the next 5.3.2 version will let you change e-mail templates via Theme Tweaker.

Until then you can create a custom theme and override templates by uploading your custom copies into your theme directory.

Here is the documentation:
http://devs.x-cart.com/en/basics/skin_module.html

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualiteam
I've been told by the XC5 dev team that the next 5.3.2 version will let you change e-mail templates via Theme Tweaker.

Until then you can create a custom theme and override templates by uploading your custom copies into your theme directory.

Here is the documentation:
http://devs.x-cart.com/en/basics/skin_module.html

great news thank you!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)