Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Edit Multiple Items

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Edit Multiple Items

Hi guys!

@GreatLakesVacuum I agree that integration with UPS that supports dimensional shipping would be great. On the other hand, the way it works in X-Cart 4 is faulty, because the packing algorithm is not trivial task and X-Cart 4 sometimes calculates total dimensions incorrectly (not even close).

That is why it is better to pass package boxes to shipping service side, so that they could calculate it properly. Of course, if they support such routine.

I agree that it should be done, so please report an idea at ideas.x-cart.com and we will come to it in the future.

@dpeykar Bulk-editing of products is something we want to add in the near future, but I cannot give any ETA right now.

Tony.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
I agree that integration with UPS that supports dimensional shipping would be great. On the other hand, the way it works in X-Cart 4 is faulty, because the packing algorithm is not trivial task and X-Cart 4 sometimes calculates total dimensions incorrectly (not even close).

Tony - if I remember correctly dimensional shipping was coded in XC way back in 4.2.x I think. Statement like this just tells everyone - yes we know we coded it wrong to begin with and we never bothered to fix it for 5 years and we never will fix it now because after the Xc5 release XC4 is second hand shopping cart...
So if you guys know shipping in XC does not work properly why this was not fixed? Not even an attempt to fix it...

So now this makes me question the coding in XC5 - is it done properly or in 5 years someone from QT will admit it was wrong? hope not...
Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Tony - if I remember correctly dimensional shipping was coded in XC way back in 4.2.x I think. Statement like this just tells everyone - yes we know we coded it wrong to begin with and we never bothered to fix it for 5 years and we never will fix it now because after the Xc5 release XC4 is second hand shopping cart...
So if you guys know shipping in XC does not work properly why this was not fixed? Not even an attempt to fix it...

So now this makes me question the coding in XC5 - is it done properly or in 5 years someone from QT will admit it was wrong? hope not...

I would say that we tried to do the thing that we should not have been trying to do. Packing algorithm is not what we should have done, but we did it and then realized that the task is bigger than we thought.

That is why in X-Cart 5 we are not making the same mistake.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 AM

Veteran

Maybe this belongs to its own thread but - does XC5 has dimensional shipping and any type of packing products together? How does shipping work with real time rates so to give close enough rates for proper weight and package(s)?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Maybe this belongs to its own thread but - does XC5 has dimensional shipping and any type of packing products together? How does shipping work with real time rates so to give close enough rates for proper weight and package(s)?

Here is how it works now. Each product can define the box it will be shipped in. This box info is length, width and height + how many products can be packed into this box.

If a box can contain up to 3 products, but you order 5 products, then X-Cart will assume that you need 2 boxes.

At the checkout stage, X-Cart will calculate how many and what boxes are needed, then pass this info to shipping service.

Of course, you can set up to ship a product one per box and you will get the most accurate rates
Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 AM

Veteran

This is for when customer orders only one product. But what if they order 5 different products with different quantities and they all have their own boxes setup... I know this is something hard to achieve virtually - it is not like physically putting items in boxes and trying to fit them - but how it is handled.?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM

X-Cart team

You can set up it one product = one box and X-Cart will pass this info to the shipping service side.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Veteran

I don't think this will work. Let's say I have product - pen - and I set it up one item in one box. Box dimensions are 5x5x5. Now I have a customer to order 30 pens - that means 30 boxes. But I can fir them all in one box. The cost of shipping will be significant 30 boxes vs one box
Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 AM

X-Cart team

That is why you can set up a box 5x5x5 dimensions for a pen product and specify that it can contain up to 30 pens.

This way, when it comes to shipping calculation, only one box will be passed to shipping system side no matter whether you order 1 pen or 30 pens.

The following user thanks tony_sologubov for this useful post:
cflsystems (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:10 AM

Veteran

Thanks Tony
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)