Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Custom 404 Error Search Page

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 02-11-2003, 09:08 AM

Advanced Member

Default Custom 404 Error Search Page

This script is based on the search.php file in the /customer directory.

search404.php is a custom 404 error page that no site should be without. It is designed to parce the url and take the keywords that it finds and create a custom results page for your customers.

For instance, say your old site had the page, www.yoursite.com/computer/printer/hp.htm. This script will take the url and create the following keywords: computer, printer, and hp. Then it will perform a custom search and the 404 error page people will see is the search results for these keywords.

So, URL's that didn't exist before now exist with custom tailored results. If it finds no results, it will redirect the users to your main page (or whatever you specify).

This is very good if you had old placements in search engines that you don't want to go to waste.

Paste this code into a file and place it next to search.php in the /customer directory.

Code:
<? # # $Id: search404.php,v 1.35 2003/2/11 12:00:00 mweiss Exp $ # require "../smarty.php"; require "../config.php"; @include "./https.php"; require "./auth.php"; require "../include/categories.php"; //add pieces or uri to array $pieces = explode('/', strtolower($REQUEST_URI)); // eliminate doubles $pieces = array_unique($pieces); // Depending on the structure your old site had you might want // to change the value of $i. For instance, in // www.yoursite.com/customer/chairs/bar/stools.html // $pieces[0] will hold 'customer' // so $i should be 1. $i = 1; // page to redirect page if no results are found $redir_page = "/customer/home.php"; $oldkeywords_prod = ''; $oldkeywords_desc = ''; $length = count($pieces); while ($i < $length) { // strings you would like to replace // here, I take out the extensions of pages that people // might enter from my old website $dummy = $pieces[$i]; $patterns[0] = '/.htm/'; $patterns[1] = '/.html/'; $patterns[2] = '/.php/'; $patterns[3] = '/.asp/'; // replace the abov extensions with nothing $replacements[0] = ''; $replacements[1] = ''; $replacements[2] = ''; $replacements[3] = ''; // replace all the instances of 'patterns' with 'replacements' in dummy. $pieces[$i] = preg_replace($patterns, $replacements, $dummy); if($i == ($length-1)) { $oldkeywords_prod .= $pieces[$i]; $oldkeywords_desc .= $pieces[$i]; } else { //build our product query $oldkeywords_prod .= $pieces[$i] . "%' OR $sql_tbl[products].product like '%"; //build our description query $oldkeywords_desc .= $pieces[$i] . "%' OR $sql_tbl[products].descr like '%"; } $i++; } //begin code from search.php $price_condition = $price_search_1?" AND $sql_tbl[pricing].price>='$price_search_1'":""; $price_condition .= $price_search_2?" AND $sql_tbl[pricing].price<='$price_search_2'":""; $sort_by_price = $price_condition?" ORDER BY price":""; $price_substring = $price_search_1?"&price_search_1=".urlencode($price_search_1):""; $price_substring .= $price_search_2?"&price_search_2=".urlencode($price_search_2):""; $search_category = addslashes(array_pop(func_query_first("select category from $sql_tbl[categories] where categoryid='$in_category'"))); //substitute in our new strings for the query $search_query = "($sql_tbl[products].product like '%$oldkeywords_prod%' or $sql_tbl[products].descr like '%$oldkeywords_desc%') and $sql_tbl[categories].category like '$search_category%' and $sql_tbl[products].forsale='Y' $price_condition ".$sort_by_price; if ($current_area == "C") { $membership_condition = " AND ($sql_tbl[categories].membership='". $user_account['membership']."' OR $sql_tbl[categories].membership='') "; } else { $membership_condition = ""; } //substitute in our new strings for the query $search_query_count = "select count(*) from $sql_tbl[products], $sql_tbl[pricing], $sql_tbl[categories] where $sql_tbl[pricing].productid=$sql_tbl[products].productid and $sql_tbl[pricing].quantity=1 and $sql_tbl[products].categoryid=$sql_tbl[categories].categoryid $membership_condition and ($sql_tbl[pricing].membership='". $user_account['membership']."' or $sql_tbl[pricing].membership='') and ($sql_tbl[products].product like '%$oldkeywords_prod%' or $sql_tbl[products].descr like '%$oldkeywords_desc%') and $sql_tbl[categories].category like '$search_category%' and $sql_tbl[products].forsale='Y' $price_condition "; $total_products_in_search = array_pop(func_query_first($search_query_count)); if ($total_products_in_search < 1){ //if it doesn't find anything, redirect them to the main page header("Location: ".$redir_page); exit(); } # # Navigation code # $objects_per_page = $config["General"]["products_per_page"]; $total_nav_pages = ceil($total_products_in_search/$config["General"]["products_per_page"])+1; require "../include/navigation.php"; $smarty->assign("products",func_search_products($search_query, $user_account['membership'],$first_page,$total_products_in_search)); $smarty->assign("navigation_script","search404.php?substring=".urlencode($substring)."&in_category=$in_category".$price_substring); $HTTP_GET_VARS["substring"] = stripslashes($HTTP_GET_VARS["substring"]); $smarty->assign("main","search"); $smarty->display("customer/home.tpl"); ?>
Old 02-11-2003, 09:23 AM

X-Adept

Wow, great idea! I'll have to try it...
Old 02-12-2003, 03:42 AM

X-Man

Nice script

I tend to use a different error reporting script but it essentially does the same thing.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:19 AM

Advanced Member

Default not working

for some reason this script is not working with me

any sugestions ?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:53 AM

Ok i created a file called bettersearch.php pasted the above code into it and ftp'd the file into the same directory as search.php but for some reason the new file doesn't work? how do i get it to work.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:56 AM

Advanced Member

I'm having the same problem with this script. How do we get it to work? I don't understand how the search script knows about this file. Help?
Old 06-28-2003, 05:01 PM

X-Man

Someone please help.

I would love to be able to use this script as well.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:34 AM

Advanced Member

Funkydunk,
would you be willing to share the script that you are using to acheive this effect?

*We cannot get this one to work* and it's very important (for me) that our x-cart store capture all the traffic that is being achieved by our old site's Google rankings. I'd be willing to pay if you were cool with it.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:49 PM

X-Man

Anyone got one of these?

I will kick in some cash. It is needed now more than ever....
Old 07-31-2004, 07:57 PM

X-Adept

adpboss.... did you, or anyone who reads this, get this to work. If so, how?
MySQL server 5.0.87-community
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions