Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart v4.1.10 released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Cart v4.1.10 released

The upgrade shouldn't affect any of those mods Dan, I just upgraded my default install package which is highly custom and it didn't break a thing. I'm not saying it WON'T break something - I had to do a LOT of manual patching and it is easy to cause a problem with a typo - so just back up everything first.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 PM

eXpert

Is 4 1 10 working fine?

I know it was just release so I dont know
how many are using it successfully.

So Im wondering if theres any bugs or issues
that I should expect or will need to fix.

Thanks all
Old 05-18-2008, 05:31 PM

Advanced Member

How to unpack/uncompress the upgrade patch into X-cart directory? The upgrade patch contains many folders that have the same names as those folders that already exist in the X-cart directory, such as admin, include, skin1, etc. Thus, uploading the upgrade patch will cause the overwrite of the original folders. Should I copy the files in the upgrade patch into each original folder before upgrading? Got confused.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary02140
How to unpack/uncompress the upgrade patch into X-cart directory? The upgrade patch contains many folders that have the same names as those folders that already exist in the X-cart directory, such as admin, include, skin1, etc. THus, uploading the upgrade patch will cause the overwrite of the original folders. Should I copy the files in the upgrade patch into each original folder beofre upgrading? Got confused.

Use a command line (ssh).
Upload the .tgz file to the server.
use the command line and untar it...

Everything will go where it needs to go.

THEN follow the readme and chmod permissions.

If you do not have ssh access or a command line, you CAN do this via ftp, but it will take you much, much longer, and if you are not careful, as you recognized, you can overwrite files that you do not want to... DO NOT replace files!!!!

The files that have the same names are probably diff files -- organized by directories..

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you use ssh to do your upgrade. If you do not have access by command line, I would ask your host to find a way to give it to you. Your host can restrict ssh to a specific port and/or IP address. Ask.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Use a command line (ssh).
Upload the .tgz file to the server.
use the command line and untar it...

Everything will go where it needs to go.

THEN follow the readme and chmod permissions.

If you do not have ssh access or a command line, you CAN do this via ftp, but it will take you much, much longer, and if you are not careful, as you recognized, you can overwrite files that you do not want to... DO NOT replace files!!!!

The files that have the same names are probably diff files -- organized by directories..

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you use ssh to do your upgrade. If you do not have access by command line, I would ask your host to find a way to give it to you. Your host can restrict ssh to a specific port and/or IP address. Ask.

My X-cart was put directly in the publichtml directory. So, I uploaded the patch into this directory, changed file/folder permission, and then unpacked the patch. HOwever, when I went to the store back-end to login as admin, I got the following error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@yueteki.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.yueteki.com Port 80

I unpacked the patch again, but got the same problem. How can I solve this problem?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 AM

X-Guru

restore, verify admin works,try again

did you follow the readme to the letter?

Quote:
UPGRADE PATCH 4.1.9 -> 4.1.10 SPECIAL NOTES
================================================== ============================

!!! PLEASE BACKUP YOUR OLD X-CART BEFORE STARTING UPGRADE !!!

Please follow these steps accurately to upgrade successfully:

1. Make a backup of your X-Cart.

1.1. Make the database backup via the administration interface X-Cart provided you with:
- Go to the 'DB Backup/Restore' section.
- Click on the 'Generate SQL dump' button.

If your database is too big or your attempt to backup it via admin interface failed, try the next step.

1.2. Make the database backup by issuing this command from the command line interface:

>mysqldump -h <YOUR_HOST> -u <YOUR_USERNAME> -p -r <BACKUP_FILE> <YOUR_DATABASE_NAME>
Enter password: <YOUR_PASSWORD>

where:
<YOUR_HOST> - the hostname of MySQL server your X-Cart uses,
<YOUR_USERNAME> - the username for logging in to the MySQL server X-Cart uses,
<YOUR_DATABASE_NAME> - the database name X-Cart uses,
<BACKUP_FILE> - the file name where SQL dump will be stored,
<YOUR_PASSWORD> - the password for accessing to the MySQL server.

If you do not remember your data to access MySQL server you can know it from config.php file.

1.3. Make the backup of all X-Cart files by issuing one of commands below from the command line interface:

>tar -czvf x-cart-4.1.9-backup.tgz xcart
or
>zip -r x-cart-4.1.9-backup.zip xcart

xcart - is a directory where X-Cart has been installed.

2. Uncompress this archive to the directory where your X-Cart has been installed.

3. Make sure that files which will be patched have world writable permissions.
If you are under Unix try to issue this command from the root of your X-Cart directory:

for i in `sed -e 's/,.*$//g' < upgrade/4.1.9-4.1.10/file.lst`; do chmod 666 $i ; done

This command will set up the world writable permissions on all files affected by upgrade patch (the list of the files is located in file upgrade/4.1.9-4.1.10/file.lst).

4. Log in to the administration area (if you not logged yet).

5. Go to the 'Patch/Upgrade' section.

6. Select the target version '4.1.10' in the dropdown box under 'Upgrade' dialog and click on 'Apply' button.

7. After the upgrade patch applicability is tested you will see the results. Please read them attentively. Try to fix problems regarding 'non-writable' statuses manually by issuing the command

>chmod 666 <FILENAME>

If some files have the result status 'Could not patch' it means that the patch cannot be applied to these files automatically because they were significantly modified, the patch for these files should be applied manually. You can ignore it by deselecting the checkbox at the bottom of page on the first step "Testing patch applicability and generation list of files".

8. Click 'Apply patch' button to complete the upgrading.

9. After patch is applied please review the result page. All excluded and not patched files should be patched manually so that X-Cart 4.1.10 would work correctly.

Press the 'Refresh' button in your browser to refresh CSS-styles.

10. Click on 'Finish' button.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:19 PM

Advanced Member

I have tried my best to follow the upgrade instruction as above. But some instructions are vague. For example, "3. Make sure that files which will be patched have world writable permissions."

What are exactly the files that will be affected? Are there the files list? It will be very hard to go into each folder to check against each file that will be patched. really frustrated...
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM

X-Guru

Gary:
It's right there- just keep reading:

Quote:
3. Make sure that files which will be patched have world writable permissions.
If you are under Unix try to issue this command from the root of your X-Cart directory:

for i in `sed -e 's/,.*$//g' < upgrade/4.1.9-4.1.10/file.lst`; do chmod 666 $i ; done

This command will set up the world writable permissions on all files affected by upgrade patch (the list of the files is located in file upgrade/4.1.9-4.1.10/file.lst).

This is the magic command to make all files in the file.lst chmod 666
Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for your help.

How to use this unix command under cpanel? Where should go to execute this command? My SSH isn't availabe now.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary02140
My SSH isn't availabe now.

That would make it hard since that is a shell command

Talk to your host and get SSH access. It will help make things easier to manage certain aspects of running the cart (like upgrades).
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements