Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Janrain Engage integration module available

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Janrain Engage integration module available

Thanks for that Rocky! That problem is fixed, you are an awesome help!
New issue; log in providers are appearing, I click facebook I can add my username password, it loads, and confirms my name, then the pop up closes and returns to login page with the following error message:
"You have not signed in. Try to use another authentication method."

In the janrain admin - provider section facebook is marked as configured (in green).

Any clue as to what needs adjusting?

I will configure other providers later.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
Please be informed that Janrain module has no free support any more. The add-on is stable currently

But it is INCREDIBLY slow to login customers.
It also does not know about Google+ and it does not play well with the BCSE points system.

I spent most of last night trying to make this work and I am bailing on it for now.

AND WHY is the module called "social login", but the files are in XAuth directory?

Issue #1: login takes forever to login using Facebook. Is that a facebook issue?
Issue #2: if using a loyalty points system that requires an X-Cart membership, the customer must also have an x-cart user account, right? How does that work?
Issue #3: Customer still has to enter their shipping info, right?
Issue #4: Twitter does not share email with anyone. Janrain confirmed this. So Twitter login requires the entire customer record to be typed in.

So if the customer STILL must have an x-cart user account, what is the benefit of the social login? I am really missing the boat here. Either the XCart implementation is not all it should be, or I am seriously not understanding what this is supposed to accomplish.

Anyone with an active site running janrain care to PM me and let me login to your store? Maybe I'll buy something. Give me a discount code
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM

X-Guru

I just had a 45 minute conference call with a Janrain product manager and a Janrain engineer.

We learned that X-Cart has failed to implement the social sharing integration as it was designed by Janrain and the social sites.

Here's how it should work:

Scenario #1:

Customer decides to "register" for the store. They want bonus points or coupons or free stuff. They are on the X-Cart login page: /login.php
They use social login (janrain).
At this point, the system will tell the customer if it needs missing info, such as email (if they used twitter) or missing info that social didn't pass along (another issue, xcart should get as much data as social networks share, it doesn't seem to share very much).
The customer SHOULD NOT have to type in a password, and captcha is meaningless if they are coming in from a social site with a password. The customer should simply press "Submit" and their account is now created. No need for a password. At this point, there is a user account, logged in. This is what it should be. If the customer logs out, then returns to the store later, and then logs in using social, they will be logged in, and their account will be tied to the social network they logged in with. That's the way it's supposed to work.

UNFORTUNATELY, X-cart does not do it this way.

In 4.5.4, X-cart brings the customer to the registration form, and STILL WANTS the customer to provide a password. ??? WTF? Now, if the customer just IGNORES the password required request, and just completes the registration, the customer is then logged in. Hmm... yes, account created based on their email address, but the password comes from social.

This is very busted.

THEN - if customer goes to checkout while logged in, all is well. Or of customer logs out, then uses social to sign in at checkout, all is fine.

The DEFECT is at registration.

I am trying to test this in 4.6.0, but there are https issues and I need to spend more time on this.

IS ANYONE ACTUALLY USING JANRAIN social login?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM

X-Guru

Looks like 4.6.0 and Janrain is no better. I have a virgin 4.6.0 in a dev partition.

Same thing happens in 4.6.0 as in 4.5.4 -- that is, if a customer chooses to use social login to create a new account, the customer is not logged in yet - and is presented with the registration page --

"Sign in one of these accounts [F] [T] or fill you personal info"

WTF is that?

Then - they STILL must enter a password (field is required) - so then the customer is confused -- "am i using social login or not?"

WHO WAS THE ROCKET SCIENTIST that thinks this is a good user experience?

Just to see what happens, I tried to log into other sites with social logins... no such bullshit or confusing interface.

WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE if this is going to work:

1. IF social login is used for registration, password fields must be hidden on the registration page (and not required);
2. Email address (all data that each network provides, facebook provides email, twitter does not) MUST transfer... the point is to make it EASY on the customer.
3. REMOVE THE confusing text, "Sign in one of these accounts [F] [T] or fill you personal info" - it has nothing to do with what the customer needs to do.

It is very clear that the project manager for the Janrain social integration doesn't have a clue about customer UX. Max, RESPECTFULLY, I am requesting that you please assign a new manager for this project? No, I am not willing to do it.

I have not even got close to testing this @ checkout.... if the customer can't register, can't expect them to shop...

I'm not done. More later.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM

X-Guru

ANYONE? Anyone using Janrain for social login on a production store?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM

X-Adept

Nope. Looked at it, but going to stay away until XC gets it figured out.

X-Cart 4.6.6
X-Payments 3.0
ReBOOT 3.4.1

PHP 5.6.30
MySQL 5.6.35
Linux 2.6.32-042stab120.18
ionCube PHP Loader v4.7.3
Perl 5.10.1
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM

X-Wizard

Yes, I am using it - it works for creating an account. It's VERY slow to login with Google however, for about 45 seconds the page appears to freeze. I thought it wasn't working and put in a ticket, they told me the crypt()PHP on my server is very slow. To engineer a work around, they wanted to charge me $260 or so, I said forget it because I'm planning/trying to upgrade to 4.6

You click a provider, a pop-up appears asking for that account's password, you enter it, and it takes you back and creates an account. It only asks you to fill all that stuff out if it didn't work right. It took a lot of effort to get this working right but if you have everything set up correctly it will work as suggested.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrm
Yes, I am using it - it works for creating an account. It's VERY slow to login with Google however, for about 45 seconds the page appears to freeze. I thought it wasn't working and put in a ticket, they told me the crypt()PHP on my server is very slow. To engineer a work around, they wanted to charge me $260 or so, I said forget it because I'm planning/trying to upgrade to 4.6

You click a provider, a pop-up appears asking for that account's password, you enter it, and it takes you back and creates an account. It only asks you to fill all that stuff out if it didn't work right. It took a lot of effort to get this working right but if you have everything set up correctly it will work as suggested.

But how do you explain the need to also enter a password in addition to social login?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 PM

X-Wizard

If you are not signed it, using Google, for example, you go to the cart sign in page and choose "Google." A pop-up appears, you enter in your GOOGLE password. It take creates an account and takes you back to the cart and you are signed in. If you already made an account previously, it just signs you back in. Ditto for Facebook, Yahoo, etc, etc. ONE password, end of story. Well, if you got it set up right anyway. Like I said, on my server Google appears to freeze when you are brought back to the cart but if you are patient (which most customers will not be) and wait 45 seconds it will eventually log you in.

If you are getting a second password request, it means something did not go right.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 PM

Veteran

Client of mine is getting the same on recently upgraded 4.6.1. I don't know if it is setup, Janrain issue/settings or the Social Login module is not working at all... It is installed correctly, it does show the "share" on product page, it pops up the login services but any of them after login in returns some crappy page and asks customer to sign in or create an account...
it just doesn't work....
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements