Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Google Product and Seller ratings -the difference and how to make them show in Google

X-Cart forums > Forum archive > Using X-Cart in my project > Need advice

Old 08-25-2017, 05:05 AM

X-Adept

Default Google Product and Seller ratings -the difference and how to make them show in Google

Hi, not sure if anyone has any 'real world' experience of the various ratings that Google uses in its listings.

We currently output various feeds to google shopping. They perform quite well but I often see the competiton's listings display with various ratings, be it seller ratings or their own product review ratings.

I know we could pay a monthly fee to someone like TrustPilot/Trusted Shops who seemingly will collect and submit both seller reviews AND product reviews.

However, I do know that you can freely (or cheaply) gather Google seller reviews by signing up and integrating the Google Customer Reviews programme:

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7188525?hl=en-GB

which will collect reviews for you. I see that Steve at CFL does this mod:

https://www.cflsystems.com/google-customer-reviews-integration-for-x-cart-classic.html

which looks ideal for this particular task.

Next, there are the product reviews which I am seeing a lot more of. I have learnt the difference between a store's own product ratings and the aggregate ratings, please see the attached image, but the information on product reviews is a bit sketchier. Most of my research appears to point to the same 3rd party services where you pay a monthly fee for them to take care of it. However, I found this:

https://developers.google.com/product-review-feeds/

which talks about submitting an XML of product reviews and then, it looks like, 'hope for the best' . I cannot seem to find any more information about this product review feed concerning how it relates to other shopping feeds you may be outputting to Google e.g. is it completely independent plus how often you are allowed/meant to submit it.

Does anyone here utilise seller and/or product reviews relating to their X-Cart store, either self submitted or 3rd party? I am interested in how everyone is doing it and whether it is working for you!

Thanks

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg product-ratings-google.jpg (189.0 KB, 11 views)

and

Old 08-25-2017, 06:09 AM

Veteran

Default Re: Google Product and Seller ratings -the difference and how to make them show in Google

The first one with the images - sponsored. They pay Google to show them there.
The second one in the listing is "whatever Google decides".

However both are coming from the so called Structured Data (or Rich Snippets) and it is something you include in the html code of the page.

XC has a module for it - Rich Snippets.
I believe this one is better though - https://www.cflsystems.com/site-structured-data-for-x-cart-classic.html - as it has more options, includes more data and uses the Google now recommended JSON-LD format so there is no need to modify the html code of the page.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:27 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Google Product and Seller ratings -the difference and how to make them show in Google

Thanks Steve, so a combination of both your mods *may* get the desired output without resorting to these subscription websites?

and

Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 AM

Veteran

The Customer Reviews module will give you the Reviews Badge you see on some sites at the lower left/right corner. This is the program Google now uses instead of the old Google Trusted Stores which was discontinued in the beginning of this year.
I believe Google also shows some indication of these reviews on the search result pages. But as everything Google related - it is whatever they decide to do even if you provide them all the info.
Also the Customer Reviews one depends on customers participating in the program.

The Structured Data outputs the data no matter what. And again it is up to Google to pick up on it and display it on search results. Sometimes Google is fast on this sometimes takes months... Site's SEO may also have an impact on how often and good Google reads this info and displays it.

Each module serves different purpose and with both you get covered for the above. Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:50 AM

X-Adept

Yes, thanks. I guess that rich snippets is in lieu of submiiting a product review feed, basically google spiders the information off the page.

and

Old 09-13-2017, 04:46 AM

X-Adept

An update. Since purchasing Steve's Site Structured Data for X-Cart Classic, our product ratings have started showing in Google's organic listings -see 'Store's own product rating' in the jpeg I attached earlier to see which ones I am referencing...every little helps!

and

The following 2 users thank DanUK for this useful post:
cflsystems (09-13-2017), qualiteam (09-22-2017)
   X-Cart forums > Forum archive > Using X-Cart in my project > Need advice