Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Show out of stock items but not for sale

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Advanced Member

Default Show out of stock items but not for sale

May seem like a strange request but i can't see how to do this. I have over 20000 products online but stock changes daily as more items come in, and more are sold, and it seems madness to have to daily create a new sitemap as items appear and dissapear, yet alone the havoc that creates with google rankings and links back to products no longer there.

What i want to do, is to show items that are out of stock, but make them not available for sale. I know that's not the best for the customer but at least they know it's something we do normally have (usually in stock again within a week).

I have ticked the box to not track stock as i don't want to do that, prefer to do it manually.

any advice? Sure somewhere there is a setting for this but can't seem to find it.
Version 4.3.1
www.autoairconparts.co.uk
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Show out of stock items but not for sale

This doesn't seem strange at all. From time to time I have to disable a product when we are out of stock for more than a couple of days. This in turn causes problems with indexed pages. I would love to have a disabled but visable option for a product's status.

Here is an idea for a MOD:
New availability option, Disabled: Visable.

When it is set to this, the add to cart or buy now buttons are replaced with a "currently out of stock" box or image.

Even better would be a form to request an email when back in stock.

Mike
Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 AM

Advanced Member

Simon,

If you have inventory tracking disabled how is X-Cart supposed to know that a item is out of stock?

Normally if you have inventory tracking on it can still show the product as long as General Settings -> Inventory Options -> Disable products which are out of stock
is not checked.

In my tests on X-Cart 4.3 with inventory tracking enabled and the above checkbox not checked it keeps the product publicly available, it just says Out of Stock on the product page.

The following user thanks joncampbell for this useful post:
Mish (06-19-2012)
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM

X-Wizard

If you want to be able to set it per product in you administration or csv uploads, you could use an extra field.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Advanced Member

my products either have 1 in stock in which case they're listed, or 0 in stock so they're not, so at the end of the day i'll look at what stock as come in from suppliers, what is sold and update them all to in or out of stock.

Just needs to be simple, if i have items listed as '0' stock, then display them but not available to buy.
Version 4.3.1
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncampbell
Simon,

If you have inventory tracking disabled how is X-Cart supposed to know that a item is out of stock?

Normally if you have inventory tracking on it can still show the product as long as General Settings -> Inventory Options -> Disable products which are out of stock
is not checked.

In my tests on X-Cart 4.3 with inventory tracking enabled and the above checkbox not checked it keeps the product publicly available, it just says Out of Stock on the product page.

I have both boxes ticked as i want to manually alter stock at the end of the day, not have it done automatically. But if i have it checked to track inventory and the 'Disable products which are out of stock' unchecked, then they are visible and can be sold, i want them visible but 'out of stock' message which i only get when inventory tracking is on.
Version 4.3.1
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Advanced Member

Set your inventory tracking to off and your disabled when out of stock to off.

Then edit your include/func/func.product.php

Find this section
$appearance = array(
'empty_stock' => $config['General']['unlimited_products'] != "Y" && ($product['avail'] <= 0 || $product['avail'] < $product['min_amount']),
'has_price' => $product['taxed_price'] > 0 || (!empty($product['variantid']) && isset($product['variants_has_price']) && $product['variants_has_price']),
'has_market_price' => $product['list_price'] > 0 && $product['taxed_price'] < $product['list_price'],
'buy_now_enabled' => $current_area == 'C' && $config['Appearance']['buynow_button_enabled'] == "Y",
'buy_now_form_enabled' => $product['price'] > 0 || ($active_modules['Special_Offers'] && $product['use_special_price']) || $product['product_type'] == 'C',
'min_quantity' => max(1, $product['min_amount']),
'max_quantity' => $config['General']['unlimited_products'] == "Y" ? $config['Appearance']['max_select_quantity'] : min($config['Appearance']['max_select_quantity'], $product['avail']),
'buy_now_buttons_enabled' => $config['General']['unlimited_products'] == "Y" || ($product['avail'] > 0 && $product['avail'] >= $product['min_amount']) || ($product['variantid'] && $product['avail'] > 0),
'force_1_amount' => $product['distribution'] || (!empty($active_modules['Subscriptions']) && !empty($product['catalogprice']))
);

I changed it to this:
$appearance = array(
'empty_stock' => ($product['avail'] <= 0 || $product['avail'] < $product['min_amount']),
'has_price' => $product['taxed_price'] > 0 || (!empty($product['variantid']) && isset($product['variants_has_price']) && $product['variants_has_price']),
'has_market_price' => $product['list_price'] > 0 && $product['taxed_price'] < $product['list_price'],
'buy_now_enabled' => $current_area == 'C' && $config['Appearance']['buynow_button_enabled'] == "Y",
'buy_now_form_enabled' => $product['price'] > 0 || ($active_modules['Special_Offers'] && $product['use_special_price']) || $product['product_type'] == 'C',
'min_quantity' => max(1, $product['min_amount']),
'max_quantity' => $config['General']['unlimited_products'] == "Y" ? $config['Appearance']['max_select_quantity'] : min($config['Appearance']['max_select_quantity'], $product['avail']),
'buy_now_buttons_enabled' => ($product['avail'] > 0 && $product['avail'] >= $product['min_amount']) || ($product['variantid'] && $product['avail'] > 0),
'force_1_amount' => $product['distribution'] || (!empty($active_modules['Subscriptions']) && !empty($product['catalogprice']))
);

On my 4.3 that makes it so the system doesnt check if inventory track is on or off, it will only check if there is any stock left. So you can have inventory tracking disabled and it will still show it as out of stock if availability is down to 0.

Works for me,

The following 2 users thank joncampbell for this useful post:
hoosierglass (04-26-2010), XCart4Life (11-15-2011)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM

X-Adept

Nice MOD Jon.

Now I just need to do a little work on my products_t.tpl to make these changes look better.

Thanks a bundle.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:50 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks Jon, will give it a try and let you know. Appreciate your help
Version 4.3.1
Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Advanced Member

Great! Worked in 4.4.4!

I edited the same file... include/func/func.product.php

I just changed the one line:

PHP Code:
'empty_stock'   => $config['General']['unlimited_products'] != "Y" 

To this:

PHP Code:
'empty_stock' => ($product['avail'] <= || $product['avail'] < $product['min_amount']) 
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design