Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Payments/X-Cart Future Compatibility

X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions

Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 AM

Default X-Payments/X-Cart Future Compatibility

Alex,

I have another concern with using x-payments. (BTW, I have just installed 1.0.5 along with x-cart 4.5.2 for a new project and had no problems with the install once I got my SSL cert.)

My concern is with future upgrades and upgrade paths if I really go with x-payments. I was talking with Steve of cflsystems who is so much more knowledgable of x-cart and upgrades than me and he was not sure either. However, he seems to believe the following:
PCI compliance will require future upgrades of x-payments within some specified time. It may be 30 days, it may be 90 days, but it will be required.
Now my concern. It's not easy to upgrade x-cart when you are talking about major versions. I had almost completed my new store on 4.4.5 when I decided to scrap it for 4.5.2 and basically start over.

Using x-payments will I find a day when a PCI required upgrade of X-Payments will necessitate a major upgrade of x-cart to continue working? My concern is that because the upgrade of x-payments will be required in a limited timeframe, I will find myself scrambling to upgrade x-cart at perhaps the worst time when I have so many other things on my plate. A time when I had no plans to upgrade x-cart.

I would think this has to be a real concern. So can you say X-Payments going forward will always remain backward compatible with say x-cart 4.5.x and forward?

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: X-Payments/X-Cart Future Compatibility

> So can you say X-Payments going forward will always remain backward compatible
> with say x-cart 4.5.x and forward?

Quote:
Want to make the God laugh - tell him about your plans (c)

We can't promise that and we can't promise the opposite. What we can promise is that we will develop X-Payments further (e.g. we are planning version 1.1 this fall).

Also, upgrade of X-Payments is very easy (especially comparing with X-Cart) - in nutshell it is simple overwrite of files. See http://help.x-cart.com/index.php?title=X-Payments:Upgrading
X-Payments product manager
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 AM

Thanks Alex,

Can you say anything about upgrades of x-payments and PCI compliance? What are the rules for staying on the latest and greatest?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 AM

X-Cart team

You should be compliant by using major version of X-Payments listed at the PCI council site.
Currently X-Payments version 1.0.x is listed at
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/approved_companies_providers/validated_payment_applications.php?agree=true

However, you should understand that "PCI compliance" is not just using PA-DSS certified software. It assumes other requirements, too. PA-DSS certification for software is just one of them.
X-Payments product manager

The following user thanks ambal for this useful post:
totaltec (08-29-2012)
   X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions