Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Websitecm?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Websitecm - real company or scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodaki
The only situation someone would require 2 server locations is if:
1. they hosted their own live servers (ie. they were an ISP)
2. they actually developed on a remote server across a broadband connection. which in 18 years of web development I have never heard of.
3. clients didn't want to see a site before it went live.

In EVERY other situation, there would be a minimum of 3 servers.

Not exactly...

License #1: local development server
License #2: the server

use a /dev/ partition that is IP and/or password restricted for the staging server, for public testing prior to going live.

And considering most pro developers have insanely fast broadband, the local development server isn't really needed anymore. I do ALL of my development on the primary server in a locked down, IP restricted partition. It doesn't get indexed. It's a realtime indicator if the code is bloated.

There are 101 reasons why you SHOULD develop on an internet connected server and not a local machine.

So although your concerns about timely replies to your emails are valid, your workflow is not the only way a professional may work. There are other workflows that could possibly be superior to yours. I only need a single site license when developing most sites.

Just saying.

I hope you get your issues resolved with Jon. You do NOT want to turn a store on to the web without CDSEO active.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM

X-Guru

Licenses can take up to 24hrs, usually sooner, but as I am one person I simply can't be in front of a computer every hour.

You can specify a primary domain and as many secondary domains as needed, you just need to specify them all as secondary. Licenses are also licensed for all subdomains and localhost by default. I've updated your license.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
And considering most pro developers have insanely fast broadband, the local development server isn't really needed anymore. I do ALL of my development on the primary server in a locked down, IP restricted partition. It doesn't get indexed. It's a realtime indicator if the code is bloated.

There are 101 reasons why you SHOULD develop on an internet connected server and not a local machine.

So although your concerns about timely replies to your emails are valid, your workflow is not the only way a professional may work. There are other workflows that could possibly be superior to yours. I only need a single site license when developing most sites.

Just saying.

I hope you get your issues resolved with Jon. You do NOT want to turn a store on to the web without CDSEO active.

Well, Just saying... I disagree. In 19 years of doing this job I have never heard of a decent agency working the way you describe. I've known little guys working in their attics doing that, but never a pro agency.

Every agency I know and have ever heard of, develops on their LAN, stages to a private internet server, then mirrors to a live address. There are 101 reasons why this is a cool way to work. And as insane as your internet connection might be, it is still much much faster to work on a local network, it is still much more secure, and much more robust - internet connections still go down, what sort agency would want to down tools every time their ISP had a network issue? I think you are simply wrong dude. Your way may work for you but I do not agree it is a professional way to go.
Each to his own...
Old 03-18-2014, 01:45 PM

I would like an answer to the question myself. This company is on the recommended list, however no phone number posted anywhere on their site.

I wanted to get work done but not without contact information. Every website is required to have valid contact information when selling products of any kind taking money of any kind otherwise you leave yourself open to being charged with fraud.

I read the comment of how he has been around for awhile. If this company has such vast experience and age, then they should know they need to supply a phone number and answer emails from people, especially after taking someones money.

They should also know how much business they are loosing right now by not supplying said items . But more importantly and how sketchy they look by not supplying the above.

And if they get in trouble xcart should be aware since they listed them they could be liable as well.

So maybe xcart should not be posting them to the list until this stuff is cleared up.

In the meantime can someone recommend someone who has actual contact information so I can get some work done?

Sophie
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM

X-Guru

Thank you for the feedback on our appearance. We are currently working with very select clients and are not looking for further work at this time. Our phone number is provided on the order receipts but is not posted publicly to encourage people to use our support system for assistance prior to contacting us.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie s
I would like an answer to the question myself.

Hi Sophie,

Welcome to X-Cart.
I'm just a customer (owner of a B2C site) so I have zero to gain by replying to you... but you need to understand a few things:

Jon Peters is one of x-cart's top-10 devs (if I said top-3, I'd be pissing someone off).

You make some blanket statements that show your newbie-ness, and maybe if you asked questions, you wouldn't come off as, well, I wouldn't want to sell you anything if you spoke to me like that.

Quote:
If this company has such vast experience and age, then they should know they need to supply a phone number and answer emails from people, especially after taking someones money.

IN our business (especially tech), we buy and sell without EVER speaking to our suppliers or customers. Email, text, tweets, PM and other written communication. I've spent $10,000+ on developers without ever having a voice call.

Quote:
Every website is required to have valid contact information when selling products of any kind taking money of any kind

Required? By whom? What country? What state? What time zone? Our businesses are global and our suppliers may not be in your time zone. I have hired devs from India, Ireland, Russia, UK, Canada and Pennsylvania, USA. Because we may be 13 time zones away from our developer, voice usually doesn't matter.

Quote:
And if they get in trouble xcart should be aware since they listed them they could be liable as well

Liable for what? X-Cart is a Russian company. WebsiteCM is Canadian. GO ahead and litigate. I'll buy the popcorn.

I've been here 8 years. I would jump off a cliff with Jon not knowing if he packed the parachute before I would trust X-Cart code out-of-the-box for anything.

Quote:
So maybe xcart should not be posting them to the list until this stuff is cleared up

If WebsiteCM drops X-Cart development, the sound you hear of store admins (like me) leaving X-Cart for another platform will be be pretty significant.

This wasn't supposed to be a love letter to WCM, but Jon's top-tier and he shouldn't have to justify if his phone number is published for pre-sales or not.

The following 3 users thank carpeperdiem for this useful post:
bigredseo (03-19-2014), qualiteam (03-19-2014), xcel (04-10-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM

I read the thread and fully understand what he is saying , but the kiss principle applies :

List somewhere if you want to contact them here is the link to the forum or a number some of us who are working on projects even in small companies do not have the time to fill out a form and wait 2 days for a reply.

All websites especially ones who take money in any format have to have a number they can be reached you can find that in your merchant account agreement or you could loose your merchant account.

To go through the hassle of posting on here and have to come back and read a thread is bad customer service.

He now has one customer upset and one lost.

Good luck with that set up.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 PM

I read the thread and fully understand what he is saying , but the kiss principle applies :

List somewhere a link to contact them , or a number . Some of us who are working on projects even in small companies do not have the time to fill out a form and wait 2 days for a reply especially in another time zone. No one asked for his cell number. And not to have some format looks shady.

Websites especially ones who take money in any format have to have a number they can be reached, you can find that in your merchant account agreement or you could loose your merchant account over a complaint like the other one.

Something your 8 years of knowledge should have afforded you.

My 20 years in Web, Print and Programming , Customer Service, has afforded me this:

I just read your love letter here is what it is getting your lover.

You are going way overboard, if I were him I would be embarrassed on so many levels the fact that you posted IN WHAT COUNTRY? shows your lack of knowledge of ecom sites. And in your next 8 years you should maybe do some research on Merchant Accounts, Discrimination Laws regarding all sites must be readable for the blind. In USA, Aust, Canada and may other countries etc, to bring you up to date. That's just two examples of lacking knowledge.

It is NOT for you to reply, John is the one with the site and no number taking money and not replying to people NOT you.

He is the one in danger of loosing his merchant account NOT you.

He is the one with one upset customer and loss of more business from another one NOT you.

He is the one who should fix the situation NOT you , unless you work for him as his customer service agent and are going to fix the situation.

By your unprofessional rantings you have made it worse for him. If any of my business associates ever went at a customer of mine like you have I would cut all ties with you.

If you love him so much do him a kindness , be professional and email him say hey you have an unhappy customer you should contact them right away.

Hey people are trying to contact you update your site so they understand the ticketed format . Or put up a number and walk them through the process.

Or hey I know John I will contact him for you and let him know.

That is what a professional person does that cares about a co-worker that is so great. Its called Customer Service and a great business associate.

No one ever questioned Johns ability to do his job, or that is work is crap.

We simply wanted to get in touch with him to do business and now based on your posting . I will be sure never ever to do business with him , simply because I do not have the time nor energy to waste on childish and unprofessional emotional behavior replies by someone who has nothing to do with his business .

And the sound of you leaving would probably sound like bolly wood musicial when your replaced. Everyone is replaceable.

So feel free to jump, but I highly recommend based on responses to a person you do not know, on his behalf , PACK A SHOOT.

And feel free not to respond.

Good Luck.
Sophie
Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie s
All websites especially ones who take money in any format have to have a number they can be reached you can find that in your merchant account agreement or you could loose your merchant account

It's on the invoice post-sale.
WebsiteCM chooses to not publish a voice number for pre-sales. There is no law or contractual fine print about that.

Try "calling" Facebook advertising sales. Regardless of your ad spend.
I was told you need to spend >$50k with Facebook before you get a phone # to call. And double that before you get a person who answers the phone.
Facebook is not breaking any laws or contracts.
They simply don't have a phone number to call for "regular" customers.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM

I'm ready to throw my 2 cents worth into this.

Six years now using Jon's products. Nothing compares. His code is elegant, and as he upgrades the various mods over time they just get better and better. xCMS is a power of magnitude better than Wordpress integrated into X-Cart. CDSEO is a requirement, not an option.

Every business gets buried at times and has glitches. But when the smoke clears Jon is solid, knowledgeable, generous with his time and can be counted on. I, too, would rethink X-Cart without his products.

AlteredCart Checkout One, Checkout One Tools & Checkout One Payments
AlteredCart SmartSearch & Search by Filters
AlteredCart On Sale
CDSEO
xCMS
BCS Point of Sale, Pre-order / Back Order
Magnetic One's Autoresponder

Heavily modified
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4