Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Categories Menu - Showing Subcategories

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 06-18-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Categories Menu - Showing Subcategories

What would I need to do to get the subcategories to show for the category that the user is currently in?

For example, on the main page, the category menu would show:

- Cat A
- Cat B
- Cat C
- Cat D

However, if you click on Cat A, or go to a product that is in Cat A, the menu would show:

- Cat A
--- Sub Cat 1
--- Sub Cat 2
--- Sub Cat 3
- Cat B
- Cat C
- Cat D

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:47 AM

So far.. I have..

Code:
{if $config.General.root_categories eq "Y"} {section name=cat_num loop=$categories} { $categories[cat_num].category|escape } {if $cat eq $categories[cat_num].categoryid} {section name=subcat_num loop=$subcategories} { $subcategories[cat_num].category|escape } {/section} {/if} {/section} {/if}

..but it's outputting the same subcategory.

So for Cat A, instead of getting:

- Cat A
--- Sub Cat 1
--- Sub Cat 2
--- Sub Cat 3
- Cat B
- Cat C
- Cat D

...i get

- Cat A
--- Sub Cat 1
--- Sub Cat 1
--- Sub Cat 1
- Cat B
- Cat C
- Cat D
Old 06-19-2003, 11:43 AM

Advanced Member

I would like to display my menus this way also. Did you ever figure it out.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:28 PM

X-Adept

Try this:

Code:
{section name=cat_num loop=$categories} { $categories[cat_num].category|escape } {if $cat eq $categories[cat_num].categoryid} {section name=subcat_num loop=$subcategories} { $subcategories[subcat_num].category|escape } {/section} {/if} {/section}

You didn't have the index in the inner loop set correctly (cat_num vs. subcat_num). I also added "
" tags to make it display properly.

Hope this helps!

--Kurt
Old 06-19-2003, 01:39 PM

thanks! it works like a charm. I didnt have the
in there because the code sniplet i posted was a stripped down version of what im using... i have my menu setup in tables.

http://www.aheadgames.com/cart/customer/home.php

Here's the /customer/categories.tpl I'm using if anyone wants to do anything similar.. you might have to change things a bit to work with your cart.
Code:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="250"> {if $config.General.root_categories eq "Y"} {section name=cat_num loop=$categories} <tr> <td height="20" background="../../images/categorybg.gif"> <p align="left" class="menutext">{ $categories[cat_num].category|escape }</td> </tr> {if $cat eq $categories[cat_num].categoryid} {section name=subcat_num loop=$subcategories} <tr> <td height="20" background="../../images/categorybg.gif" class="menutext">{ $subcategories[subcat_num].category|escape }</td> </tr> {/section} {/if} {/section} {/if} <tr> <td height="20" background="../../images/categorybg.gif" class="menutext">{$lng.lbl_gift_certificates}</td> </tr> <tr> <td background="../../images/categorybgshadow.gif" height="18"> <font face="Arial" size="1"></font></td> </tr> </table>
Old 06-19-2003, 01:51 PM

X-Guru

Nice mod that, moved to custom templates

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 06-22-2003, 01:04 PM

Advanced Member

inVINCEible,

How did you get the sub-categories to stay after a person clicks them. Did you have to make any other modifications?

The categories and sub-categories are displaying correctly but if you click a sub-Categorie only the main categories are showing. The Sub-Categories disappear.

Code:
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=2 cellSpacing=0 width=100%> <tr> <td colspan="2" align="center" class="VertMenuTitle">[img]{$ImagesDir}/category.gif[/img]</td> </tr> {if $config.General.root_categories eq "Y"} {section name=cat_num loop=$categories} <tr> <td height="15" valign="middle" class="VertMenuBox"> <p align="left"><a href="home.php?cat={ $categories[cat_num].categoryid }"> { $categories[cat_num].category|escape }</a></td> </tr> {if $cat eq $categories[cat_num].categoryid} {section name=subcat_num loop=$subcategories} <tr> <td height="15" valign="middle" class="VertSubMenuBox">-<a href="home.php?cat={ $subcategories[subcat_num].categoryid }">{ $subcategories[subcat_num].category|escape }</a></td> </tr> {/section} {/if} {/section} {/if} </table>
Old 06-24-2003, 07:02 AM

This is extremely cool and almost exactly what I am in need of right now! But Brian has a really good question. Additionally, I'd like to figure out a way to have the first main category initially opened by default, showing its sub-categories when a person first goes to the site. That way it will be more obvious to less experienced users that all these menus open to reveal more.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:09 AM

Hey inVINCEible,

Ditto to the two above, fantastic mod.. must admit, the ahead games site looks awesome..

Got a question... same as Brian... How did you get the sub-categories to stay after a person clicks them. would love to know how you did it!

Cheers man..

Aj
Old 06-28-2003, 03:58 PM

Advanced Member

http://www.below-0.net

is there any chance you can make it more like that? by this i mean, not open up a new page aswell as revieling the lst of subcats
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions