Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Additional checkboxes on checkout

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Advanced Member

Unhappy Additional checkboxes on checkout

Hello there,

I am migrating from X-Cart branch 4 to 5 and I was wondering how to add custom checkboxes to the checkout form.

In X-Cart 4 I could add fields of different types to the customer registration form but now it's only text fields.

I am using GDPR but the consent for data privacy is not enough. I need two additional checkboxes that are NOT mandatory but need to appear at checkout and to be visible in the order confirmation, invoice and admin frontend. It's for asking customers' consent to use their email address for DHL shipment tracking and to use photos of their (individualized) products elsewhere.

I tried textfields in the address form, where they could type "YES" or "NO" but there are several problems with that:
  1. The large text for the consent(s) description crashes the layout because it is only a label (I would like to have some extra space for explanation there)
  2. If customers use Paypal Express or Paypal Login, they don't even see the address form or those fields
  3. If I make them mandatory, they still don't see these form fields on checkout with paypal but the order cannot be placed and it doesn't show any error message or notification. As the fields are "hidden" in the edit address form, you don't see any marker for missing fields unless you click on edit. You have to do that for shipping and invoice address before you can proceed, but how do they know what's wrong when there is no error showing up?
I don't find a module for that and I already checked the forum. There have been a couple of users who asked this, but this always ended up in discussions about GDPR.

Maybe the GDPR module should be extended to being able to create even more consent checkboxes which could be declared mandatory or not. This is definitely a GDPR topic.

However, I need these checkboxes to go live, I also checked dev knowledgebase. I've got coding skills but I'm totally new to that framework. It's so different to X-Cart 4.

Has anybody done something like that, yet? Any help is appreciated.

I added screenshots of my x-cart 4 solution and of what I got in x-cart 5.

Best Regards,
Anja
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x-cart4.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5214  Click image for larger version

Name:	x-cart5.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5215  
Old 08-16-2018, 12:03 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Additional checkboxes on checkout

You should aim at adding these where the GDPR one is - just above the checkout button and not in the address form.
You can look at the GDPR module and how it adds the new checkbox there, saves with order, etc.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 AM

Advanced Member

Hi Steve,
thanks, but as I said, I'm totally new to the framework. Where can I add form fields and where is the php for it? I don't think it makes sense modifying the GDPR Module, if it's even possible, because of any updates that might come up.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 AM

Veteran

You don't modify the GDPR module. Just use it as a guide.
You can pack it from admin, download on your locale machine and create new module based on it.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:14 AM

Advanced Member

Oh, thanks for the hint

I'll try that!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)