Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How to replace an image on home page

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 01-08-2005, 11:14 AM

Advanced Member

Default How to replace an image on home page

Right after installing x-cart, I like to replace the home page link above the "Welcome to Your Company" with an image in the central aera.

I think that I should modify location.tpl and have the following code. But it does not work as what I want. Can you help me on this?

Thanks as lot.

Code:
{* $Id: location.tpl,v 1.13 2004/05/29 14:21:41 svowl Exp $ *} {if $location} <FONT> {strip} {section name=position loop=$location} {if $location[position].1 ne "" }<A href="{$location[position].1}">{/if} <DIV align=center>[img]{$ImagesDir}/J_home.jpg[/img]</div> {if $location[position].1 ne "" }</A>{/if} {if not %position.last%}::{/if} {/section} {/strip} </FONT> {/if}

Version 4.0.9
Old 01-08-2005, 11:34 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: How to replace an image on home page

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdedba
Right after installing x-cart, I like to replace the home page link above the "Welcome to Your Company" with an image in the central aera.

I think that I should modify location.tpl and have the following code. But it does not work as what I want. Can you help me on this?

Thanks as lot.

Code:
{* $Id: location.tpl,v 1.13 2004/05/29 14:21:41 svowl Exp $ *} {if $location} <FONT> {strip} {section name=position loop=$location} {if $location[position].1 ne "" }<A href="{$location[position].1}">{/if} <DIV align=center>[img]{$ImagesDir}/J_home.jpg[/img]</div> {if $location[position].1 ne "" }</A>{/if} {if not %position.last%}::{/if} {/section} {/strip} </FONT> {/if}

Version 4.0.9

If I undersatnd what your saying, This is what you are seeing and where you want to go.

1) The home url in the location links present at the top of the center page will change as you go through your site and get deeper depending on the depth of your catagories and sub catagories. This lets the end user know where they are in the site and you can click on portions of that link to get back to various starting points. The beginning of the link is where your company name or web site name will be once configured and is automatic, so you DO NOT need to manually change this link.

Simply go to general settings, then to company settings and change or enter your site or company name. This will be "HOME" for a lack of a better analagy.

For the logo, xcart comes with the standard logo in the top left hand corner of the site page. This can be changed to what you wish by going to xcart_root/skin1/head.tpl , you will also want to edit xcart_root/skin1/head_admin.tpl AND xcart_root/skin1/head_printable.tpl

This will get your logo on ALL pages that will be visible for user end, admin end and printable pages.

there is a quick and dirty way of doing this of you wish also, this is to simply change the logo pic retaining the same default image name in the ski1.images file that places the logo where it goes. Look at all of the images and you will see what I am saying. Best way for custom look is to manually change the images in the head.tpl's and upload images to the same image file area where stock images are kept.

Hope this helps
Old 01-08-2005, 11:35 AM

X-Adept

If you're refering to the main body part (above your products on the main page), you can use html and insert it into the Languages>(Text)>txt_welcome variable
--------------------
Old 01-08-2005, 11:41 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat
If you're refering to the main body part (above your products on the main page), you can use html and insert it into the Languages>(Text)>txt_welcome variable

What bluecat is saying is you can enter an entire welocme greeting by going to admin, languages, text, enter welcome into search of the tex section and enter any and all messgaes you want displayed here for your end user. This can be plain text OR HTML that include images etc.

Good point bluecat
Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 PM

Advanced Member

Thank you for your reply. What I want is an image on the page when customer hits .../home.php. It is a same type on http://www.ballroomdancingshoe.com/store/customer/home.php "FREE SHIPPING!!! ..." image (with a truck) for marketing purpose.

But, I do not want it always shows up on all shopping, such as
http://www.ballroomdancingshoe.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=23572&cat=277&page=1
I just want it show up in one place/page.

I saw other sites having the same.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:59 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. What I want is an image on the page when customer hits .../home.php. It is a same type on http://www.ballroomdancingshoe.com/store/customer/home.php "FREE SHIPPING!!! ..." image (with a truck) for marketing purpose.

But, I do not want it always shows up on all shopping, such as
http://www.ballroomdancingshoe.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=23572&cat=277&page=1
I just want it show up in one place/page.

I saw other sites having the same.

Thanks.

Simply copy all of the data and pic that is associated with the free shipping and include it into the welcome message text area as you already have with the welcome message. You will need to have it above the basic welcome message, add two or three break tags between the already present welcome message and the free shipping message and then it will show the welcome message.

Example:

Blah, Blah Blah, FREE SHIPPING (FREE SHIP PIC)

Welcome to Blah, Blah, Blah

Then when you go to different pages other than the welcome mesage, it will not show up.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:23 PM

Advanced Member

I am sorry, and I still do not get it. The ../home.com page has four parts in the top of central area (NOT in head.tpl):

part 1: Your Company name (which is h-link to ../home.php. Version 3.x.x may not have this)
part 2: Welcome to Your Company (Text in big font)
part 3: This is a demo store powered by x-cart ... (Text, controlled by txt_welcome)
part 4: This service is for demo purposes only. No real ... (Text)

My goal is to replace part 1, using an image file. It looks to me that "Language --> English --> Text" can only change part 3.

By the way, what does control part 4?

Thanks a lot again.

~~~~~~~~~~
version 4.0.9
Old 01-08-2005, 02:41 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
I am sorry, and I still do not get it. The ../home.com page has four parts in the top of central area (NOT in head.tpl):

part 1: Your Company name (which is h-link to ../home.php. Version 3.x.x may not have this)
part 2: Welcome to Your Company (Text in big font)
part 3: This is a demo store powered by x-cart ... (Text, controlled by txt_welcome)
part 4: This service is for demo purposes only. No real ... (Text)

My goal is to replace part 1, using an image file. It looks to me that "Language --> English --> Text" can only change part 3.

By the way, what does control part 4?

Thanks a lot again.

~~~~~~~~~~
version 4.0.9

1) Log into Admin

2) Go to languages

3) Select Text

4) enter search querie for txt_welcome

5) You will see the txt_welcome Box pop up where you enter welocme text.

This is where you will take out the current text, enter your new FREE Shipping above it, add the break tags so the two DO NOT touch

Add all of the two pieces back into the welocm text area now as one complete section.

Refresh the main end user (customer page) See the changes?

Now remove the old link, text and pic from your current location they are being stored.

Now, the only time you will see this Free Shipping add is when you enter main Home.php, the remaining time it will be gone.

Simple
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design