Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

April 21st - Mobile-Friendly Sites To Rank Better In Mobile Search on Google

X-Cart forums > General > General talk

Old 04-29-2015, 07:23 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: April 21st - Mobile-Friendly Sites To Rank Better In Mobile Search on Google

I will be extremely surprised if mobilegeddon 2015 has the predicted result. As Google has said it is only a "boost" for mobile friendly pages, and only on mobile devices. It's not a penalty. And even the big G does not have the resources to spider the whole web overnight. We will see this take effect over a period of time just like everything else.

That said, you are hearing from the original author of the first official responsive template for X-Cart. Being "mobile ready" has been my focus for years. And responsive is really not just about mobile. So many people forget it is about every screen size. Whether screens get bigger ( as they are ) or smaller ( can you say "watch", thanks Apple ), responsive sites are the only real, long term solution.

Stop worrying about Google, and start focusing on what your users want. And trust me, they want a responsive site that delivers the same, yet tailored to, content on any screen.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: April 21st - Mobile-Friendly Sites To Rank Better In Mobile Search on Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
Stop worrying about Google, and start focusing on what your users want. And trust me, they want a responsive site that delivers the same, yet tailored to, content on any screen.
Hi Mike, I'm not worrying about Google, I'm proactively doing what's required to keeps my site ranking well as most of my new customers find us using Google.

I've been responsive for over a year using Phil's reBOOT template. reBOOT is extremely flexible which has allowed me to customized the mobile view using media queries and my mobile_on and mobile_off CSS. For example, on mobile, my social icons move from the top of the page to the bottom for a less cluttered mobile user experience. I've tweaked many of my pages for a better mobile experience.

For April, 20% of my sales were on mobile, 17.5% on tablet, and 62.5% desktop. I'm only seeing about 5% more bounces on mobile than desktop so I'm very happy.

I haven't checkout out your site for a couple of years so I just took a look at Baby Monkey Studios. Any plans to update? Phil, Steve, Jon, and Qualiteam have all updated theirs.

I've still not seen much change in my niche.
http://searchengineland.com/google-the-mobile-friendly-algorithm-has-fully-rolled-out-220094

Thanks for all you do Mike!

Paul
  • Total Server Solutions Hosting | Linux | PHP v7.2.30 | MySQL v5.6.47 |

The following user thanks elmirage001 for this useful post:
totaltec (05-17-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:51 AM

X-Wizard

Bing is following Google's lead
http://searchengineland.com/bing-will-roll-out-their-mobile-friendly-ranking-algorithm-in-the-upcoming-months-220799

Not as much hot air as Google but still a factor...

The following user thanks elmirage001 for this useful post:
totaltec (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 AM

X-Guru

Paul,
Sounds like you have a good handle on things! I am glad to see you being proactive.

Thanks for the info on Bing.

Yah, my site is and always has been in a pretty sorry state. I've actually been slowly rebranding myself as XcartGuru: http://xcartguru.com/ but I haven't made much progress there either.

It is not a good excuse, but have you ever heard of the cobbler's children needing shoes? This is the exact problem.

Looks like the top reasons for this are:
* Workaholic tendencies (specifically the fear that time spent on pursuits that do not generate direct revenue will imperil the business)

* Socio-economic demands (note that it is the cobbler▓s sons who have no shoes, and not the designer▓s children who have no clothes. The Trade-level parallel is conscious and purposeful, IMHO. A highly paid luxury vendor would not have this challenge. The ⌠cobbler■ is not Mr. Laboutin, but rather the factory worker physically stitching the shoes)

Since it is not the second reason in this case, I may have to confess to being guilty of the first.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
elmirage001 (05-17-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 PM

X-Wizard

Mobilegeddon A Month Later: Small Business Study Shows…. Nothing Happened
http://searchengineland.com/mobile-update-small-business-study-shows-nothing-220983

The Mobilegeddon That Wasn’t. What Happened?
http://marketingland.com/mobilegeddon-wasnt-happened-127633

The following 2 users thank elmirage001 for this useful post:
Ksenia (05-21-2015), totaltec (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:18 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmirage001
Mobilegeddon A Month Later: Small Business Study Shows┘. Nothing Happened

Thanks for sharing!

I guess it may depend on the site audience. If it's mainly desktops ( "legal sites" from case studies must be serious companies for older generation, rather than teenagers with smartphones), it would be strange to notice the decrease of _mobile_ traffic.

The situation may be different for those websites, who do have a lot of organic traffic from google, and this traffic is mainly from mobile devices. Is there anybody from such a segment here on the forum? Could you share your observations?

The following 2 users thank Ksenia for this useful post:
elmirage001 (05-21-2015), totaltec (05-21-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 AM

X-Wizard

How to Identify The Impact Of Mobilegeddon & Future Mobile Algorithm Updates
http://searchengineland.com/identify-impact-future-google-mobile-algorithm-updates-221911

Google Panda Update Coming In Upcoming Weeks
http://searchengineland.com/google-panda-update-coming-in-upcoming-weeks-222243
Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM

X-Wizard

Hello Everyone,

It's been almost 6 months so I thought I'd check in and see if anyone else has seen any changes. My results are based upon Phil's responsive reBOOT Template.

In the attached graph from Google Search Console - Search Analytics, you can see that my average Desktop Position is 11.1 and Mobile Position is 6.8 over the last 90 days.

SA_DesktopvsMobile.jpg

I'm in a niche where many of my competitors are still not mobile friendly which is a plus for me. Is anyone else seeing similar results?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 AM

X-Cart team

Hi everyone,

In May Google is rolling out a new update which increases the effect of mobile-friendliness signal on mobile searches https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2016/03/continuing-to-make-web-more-mobile.html

The following 3 users thank Anna_Shvetsova for this useful post:
elmirage001 (04-04-2016), Stizerg (04-04-2016), totaltec (04-05-2016)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 PM

X-Adept

I know this is an old discussion but it has useful info on http redirection to https. I recently made the switch and thought I would share some tips for V4.4.x users.

1. My V4.4.5 XCart is in a subdirectory. For example, www.myshop.com/cart. I added the https related rewrite code to the .htaccess file in the root directory. After hours of headbanging trying to get it to redirect all pages, I found that rewrite code is also needed in the store subdirectory's .htaccess file. So for those of you that use a subdirectory for the store AND and have a .htaccess in this subdirectory, you will need to add rewrite code in it too.

2. Be sure to add Phil's XML sitemap generator module edits described in post 12. The followup comment about editing the init.php did not work but editing the /XML_Sitemap/func.php file did the trick.

3. If you use the socialize module then change the facebook URL's to https in these files:
/skin/common_files/modules/Socialize/buttons_row.tpl
/skin/common_files/modules/Socialize/footer_links.tpl
XCart X-PDF
XCart X-HotProducts
AlteredCart Checkout One (One Page Checkout)
BCSE Back In Stock
CFL Holiday Message
CFL System Message
Smack Digital (WebsiteCM) Remember Anon Carts
xcartmods Testimonials
xcartmods reCAPTCHA for X-Cart Classic
Unix, PHP 7.0 (patched 5.4).
MySQL 5.6

The following user thanks Thomasb134 for this useful post:
elmirage001 (02-19-2017)
   X-Cart forums > General > General talk