Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

April 21st - Mobile-Friendly Sites To Rank Better In Mobile Search on Google

X-Cart forums > General > General talk

Old 03-22-2015, 03:56 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: April 21st - Mobile-Friendly Sites To Rank Better In Mobile Search on Google

Happy Sunday Everyone!

As a reBOOT user I've been using Phil's Device Detect reBOOT Addon which displays what device was used to place an order. I'm attaching an image of my Orders Management page showing some of my sales. You can see there is a new column which shows either a Desktop, Tablet, or Mobile icon.

last_10_sales.jpg

Viewing the attached image you can see that in my last 10 sales, 4 were on Desktop, 1 on a Tablet, and 5 on a Mobile device. As a store owner I find this information invaluable as it tells me at a glance the ratio of my mobile conversions vs desktop / tablet. It's easy to see that my reBOOT Template site if functioning wonderfully with no customer issues as shown to us by zero customer usability issue contacts and actually less failed order completions than from our desktop users.

Phil has graciously updated his "Device Detect" addon as a FREE X-Cart Module for all X-Cart users.
Quote:
Displays device type used by customers in the orders list, Mobile, Tablet or Desktop
Can also use Smarty {$deviceType} around your store, M = Mobile / T = Tablet / D = Desktop
You can download Version 2 here -> https://www.xcartmods.co.uk/reboot/#tab4

Below are some Podcasts about the April 21st Google update
http://www2.webmasterradio.fm/sem-synergy/2015/google-mobile-friendly-preparations-penalties-for-doorway-pages
http://www2.webmasterradio.fm/seo-101/2015/google-mobile-friendly-update-gwt-functionality-seo-101-q-and-a...mueller-part-1
http://www2.webmasterradio.fm/webcology/2015/vanishing-bitcoin-doorway-pages-significance-of-googles-mobil...ndly-algorithm <- Starts @ 36 minutes
http://www2.webmasterradio.fm/digital-marketplace/2015/03/19/advice-on-googles-mobile-changes-april-21
Enjoy!

Paul
  • Total Server Solutions Hosting | Linux | PHP v7.2 | MySQL v5.6.40 |

The following 4 users thank elmirage001 for this useful post:
anandat (03-22-2015), ITVV (03-23-2015), PhilJ (03-22-2015), tony_sologubov (03-23-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: April 21st - Mobile-Friendly Sites To Rank Better In Mobile Search on Google

Thanks Paul ! Or directly, here.

The following user thanks PhilJ for this useful post:
elmirage001 (03-31-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 PM

X-Adept

Ok - I figured out where I went wrong with my sub-domains and all is fine there.... however....

PhilJ or Paul - if you check out my site, you'll notice the the small (cdn driven with Philj's code?) icons are all gone now and replaced with bizzare characters.

X-Cart 4.6.6
X-Payments 3.0
ReBOOT 3.4.1

PHP 5.6.30
MySQL 5.6.35
Linux 2.6.32-042stab120.18
ionCube PHP Loader v4.7.3
Perl 5.10.1
Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacman
Ok - I figured out where I went wrong with my sub-domains and all is fine there.... however....

PhilJ or Paul - if you check out my site, you'll notice the the small (cdn driven with Philj's code?) icons are all gone now and replaced with bizzare characters.
Hi Carl, try this from Phil's reBOOT FAQ Page

FontAwesome icons do not appear in some browsers, or in HTTPS mode, why?

You can load FontAwesome from the CDN (see reBOOT settings > Development > Load FontAwesome from CDN)
Or, try adding this code to your root .htaccess file...
Code:
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ # | Allow Cross-Domain Fonts # ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ <IfModule mod_headers.c> <FilesMatch ".(eot|otf|ttc|ttf|woff|woff2)$"> Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*" </FilesMatch> </IfModule>

The following 2 users thank elmirage001 for this useful post:
PhilJ (03-31-2015), Vacman (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 AM

X-Wizard

Here's a new article to read - SEO: How Google▓s ▒Mobile-friendly▓ Update Affects Performance

Since my site's responsive and passes Google's Mobile-Friendly Test I've been fine tuning my site using Google's PageSpeed Insights and for Mobile I get a 72/100 Speed Score and a 100/100 User Experience Score.

The only ! Should Fix error I get is:

Quote:
Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

Your page has 1 blocking script resources and 1 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

Remove render-blocking javascript:Optimize CSS Delivery of the following:
Question for Qualiteam. For XC 4.7+ do you have any future plans to "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content"?

Thank you!

Paul

The following user thanks elmirage001 for this useful post:
Vacman (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 AM

Veteran

Google "above the fold" and you will see many yes/no articles. I like this one

Quote:
Users who want to scroll, will scroll. Users who don't have the motivation to scroll... well clearly you need to improve the motivation to scroll.

To me "above the fold" is very broad concept especially now with so many different screen sizes. Where is above the fold for your site on all of them? It is different. Can you make it work on all? No.

It is a different question whether Google really penalized for that or the score is just a number which you should go by. I am not an SEO expert but above the fold is a variable and I don't see it being so important.

As for js/css which may or may not sow down your page load - is it 1 sec sower? Or is it 0.001 sec slower? It all depends.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Ksenia (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 AM

X-Wizard

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your input! Here are a couple of good links to read on the subject.

https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/mobile

http://marketingland.com/page-speed-matters-why-you-need-to-improve-yours-today-56774

An important reason to make Qualiteam more aware is that if I were looking to either switch carts or newly evaluating carts for the first time I would use the Google PageSpeed Insights tool as part of my shopping cart score card.

I prefer to be the one my competitors have catch instead of me having to play catch up to them. I'm in a small niche and can do that but not without constantly improving.

Thanks again!

Paul
Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Google "above the fold" and you will see many yes/no articles. I like this one

To me "above the fold" is very broad concept especially now with so many different screen sizes. Where is above the fold for your site on all of them? It is different. Can you make it work on all? No.

It is a different question whether Google really penalized for that or the score is just a number which you should go by. I am not an SEO expert but above the fold is a variable and I don't see it being so important.

As for js/css which may or may not sow down your page load - is it 1 sec sower? Or is it 0.001 sec slower? It all depends.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.
I just want to clarify that Google treats "Above The Fold Content" and "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content" as 2 separate issues. My site already passes the Google PageSpeed check for Above The Fold Content.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pagespeed_insights.jpg (57.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:15 AM

Veteran

Yes 2 separate ones which I covered in one short post

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
ITVV (04-01-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 AM

X-Guru

Paul's referring to skin/common_files/customer/service_js.tpl, which is loaded in skin/common_files/customer/service_head.tpl

This loads a chunky JS file in the <head> (with JS speedup tool enabled), when ideally it ought to be moved / deferred to the footer before </body>

https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/BlockingJS

If this was changed in X-Cart, then all stores would load a *lot* faster.

The following 2 users thank PhilJ for this useful post:
elmirage001 (04-02-2015), ITVV (04-02-2015)
   X-Cart forums > General > General talk