Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Static page simulation. Search engine improvements

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 01-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Advanced Member

Default What about the way lite commerce handles this

In lite commerce you have a product showcase Organizer - free add on where you can tell what 3 styles to show to the public.

list, table or icon.

table - would be the way to go.

If you change it to table it gives you the title - price and buy it now.

so if you switch to this table and create a catalog with it and then switch back to the icon option you then have static pages which are just words and they can order. How do we get this on x-cart gold? is it possible?

http://www.litecommerce.com/addon.html?addon=showcase

and what if we gave the customer the option to switch between all 3 choices.. it would make browsing your website a littel more fun, convienent, like they are in control of the shopping experience.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 PM

X-Guru

Nice modification

I tweaked it some. Added a different link on the image to help with SEO, along with adding the usual html/body junk. H3 used on product titles, style sheet of xcart used in case someone does click through. I also changed the sql query to return the latest added products to keep events current with search engine findings. I also corrected a bug if a product title had a /w to shorten with, the cart would break.

skin1/SEO_listing.html:
Code:
{ config_load file="$skin_config" } <html> <head> <title>{$lng.txt_site_title} {$lng.txt_subtitle_home}</title> { include file="meta.tpl" } <link rel="stylesheet" href="{$SkinDir}/{#CSSFile#}"> </head> <body LEFTMARGIN=0 TOPMARGIN=0 RIGHTMARGIN=0 BOTTOMMARGIN=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0> {* Smarty Template SEO_listing.tpl by Fernando Borcel. MascotasMexico.com 2004/10/31 *} {foreach from=$products item=v key=k} <h3>{$products[$k].product}</h3> {if $products[$k].descr}{$products[$k].descr}{else}{$products[$k].fulldescr}{/if} [img]{if $full_url}{$http_location}{else}{$xcart_web_dir}{/if}/image.php?productid={$products[$k].productid}[/img] <hr size=1> </p> {/foreach} </body> </html>

customer/listing.php:
Code:
<?php /* Search Engine Enhancement by Fernando Borcel. MascotasMexico.com */ require "./auth.php"; $qry = "SELECT * FROM " . $sql_tbl["products"] . " where forsale='Y' order by add_date DESC"; $result = db_query($qry); $products = array(); while ($result_row = db_fetch_array($result)) { $products[] = $result_row; } $smarty->assign("products",$products); $smarty->display("SEO_listing.tpl", $smarty); ?>

.htaccess file:
Code:
RewriteEngine on Options +FollowSymlinks RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^(.*)-pid-([0-9]+)\.html$ /customer/product.php?productid=$2 RewriteRule ^(.*)listing.html$ /customer/listing.php

Keep in mind this store was running off the main public_html/ directory, and not a sub directory like xcart/

so my links is example.com/customer/listing.html

Kudos!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:52 PM

eXpert

You still da' BOSS BOOMER! By the way, hows Baby BOOMER coming along?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Advanced Member

Boomer,

I tried your mod, but it doesn't seem to be working.

When I go to www.mysite.com/customer/listing.html, I get the following error:
Quote:
Warning: main(./auth.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mysite/public_html/customer/listing.php on line 5

Warning: main(./auth.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mysite/public_html/customer/listing.php on line 5

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required './auth.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mysite/public_html/customer/listing.php on line 5
My x-cart is also installed in the root public_html directory, so it should work the same for me as it does for you.
Also, the original mod in this thread said to create "SEO_listing.tpl" but your mod says "SEO_listing.html." Was this an oversight/typo on your part, or should it really by .html?
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:20 PM

eXpert

Hi PDI, it's supposed to be .tpl and it goes in skin1/customer/ not in www/customer also, are you on a shared server? Because sometimes with a shared server (and only with certain scripts) you have to set up "full paths" ie. home/yourdomain/www/ . I know, because I've had to do this with some scripts.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:49 AM

X-Adept

excellent, thanks!
x-cart v3.5.13 [retired]
x-cart v3.4.14 [retired]
Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Good point. I'll update the mod so that it'll include all categories. I just finished a new mod so that customers will be able to see all the first-level sub-categories within the main category they're browsing. I'll post it here over the next few days You can check it out @ my site.

Cheers,

Hey Fernando...did you ever post this mod for the sub-categories? If not, it would be great if you could do so...

Thanks!

www.TheApronPlace.com
X-Cart version 4.6.0
Old 02-06-2005, 07:06 PM

Hello
Thanks for the above mod, I finally worked out how to do it last night. Once I had it completed I tried the following link as suggested by someone else.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.creydall.com/coby/mycatalog.html

and recieved 977 errors which means it is not 4.01 compliant.
Is this a major problem? and will I still get search engines sniffing around and picking up the page.
Is there somewhere that will make it complient like a shareware filter that will adjust the format.
Regards Adam
Apache/1.3.33
Perl 5.008004
Adam
Adelaide South Australia
Old 02-06-2005, 07:33 PM

eXpert

google, msn and yahoo will all index it.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:36 PM

One less thing to worry about
thanks for the reply.
Regards Adam
Apache/1.3.33
Perl 5.008004
Adam
Adelaide South Australia
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions