Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Rich Google Search Results module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog
Thank you Rocky but please keep your customers updated when they have open tickets. It takes 5 min to reply and keep me updated.

Thanks for understanding this is a huge problem.

With all the matter of urgency (which is understandable though) you've got no active support and the module was installed by you (as it turned out with one file not patched). Thus, your ticket was assigned to our engineer within the bounds of limited free support with no guaranteed response time.

In any case the problem is fixed now. I'd appreciate if we continued our communication regarding this issue via HelpDesk to save communication logs.

Thank you for understanding
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
Danila is out of the office right now, thus I've assigned another engineer (Roman) to this issue. He performed investigations and found out that one of the files was not patched during the installation process. He patched it manually and now it's working as it should. Please check and reply via HelpDesk is something is still wrong.

Alexander,

The forum would appreciate you sharing any bugs discovered in the module or installer. Asking each owner of the software to open a ticket for minor bugs is unreasonable.

You know I discovered a bug/failure of the installer with the Books and Magazines skin as noted here -- if there is a file that is not patched correctly, this MUST be documented for all-- even if it's a forum post.

THIS IS WHY auto-installers must also be backed up by complete documentation and manual install instructions -- ESPECIALLY for a module as "simple" as this.

It can ONLY help everyone if a patch defect is found.

Why the secrecy "open a ticket" ?

In this case of RoeBoeDog, it sounds like you discovered a fault in the original installation? Shouldn't this be shared with the forum so others can learn from it?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem

Why the secrecy "open a ticket" ?

In this case of RoeBoeDog, it sounds like you discovered a fault in the original installation? Shouldn't this be shared with the forum so others can learn from it?

I didn't say it was a bug, it wasn't. The file was not patched due to the fact that it was previously modified. That's all, usual tech issue and no secrecy at all.

Tickets are necessary for communication purposes. HelpDesk is the only source of guaranteed answer and it allows us to track communication, no secrecy here as well. By creating tickets you'll get a faster answer.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM

X-Cart team

To summarize, I'm not against of sharing that one or another bug was found on the forum. I'm against of intermediate assumptions when an origin of the problem is not even found.

From my point of view a better practice is to contact our support team if you encounter any issue, find out an origin of the problem and then share the final result with the community if you want to.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 AM

X-Guru

Alexander,
Can you give me a yes/no answer on this question, please:

IF you have Advanced Customer Reviews installed, is Rich Google Search Results module needed to publish only the star ratings meta tags? i.e. if I disable the module, is the star-ratings from ACR supposed to be picked up by Google without outside help?

I turned the RGSR module off and I examined my page source for a product:

Code:
<div class="acr-general-product-rating"> <div itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product"> <meta itemprop="name" content="Product Name" /> <div itemprop="aggregateRating" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/AggregateRating"> <meta itemprop="ratingValue" content="5" /> <meta itemprop="bestRating" content="5" /> <meta itemprop="reviewCount" content="21" /> </div> </div>

It appears that ACR has been publishing this all along, and Google has not picked up on it and has NOT indexed this ever (since October 2012).

With the RGSR module OFF the star rating data DOES appear in the "Structured Data Testing Tool"
-- but Google has never picked it up. IN webmaster tools, the only structured data that Google has indexed has been "product" and it has the product names for all of my products.

The ACR schema code looks just fine, but Google is not picking it up.

If ALL I WANT is the star ratings from ACR, why did I buy and why do I need this module?

I'm gonna give google another week... not happy with this investment at this point.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 AM

eXpert

Last week the "Structured Data Testing Tool" included the star rating adjacent to the example listing along with the price and "in stock" label but now it is not.

However, these items are still being listed in the "Extracted structured data" listing below the example.

If anyone can confirm that this is the case for them too I'd breath a little easier. If not I shall worry why Google is doing this to me!
Dedicated SSL
Stone Edge OM
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Advanced Member

I have had the same problem, Since x cart fixed my module I have tested the links in the webmaster google shippets tool and it displays fine there but in google it does not.

I am not sure if it should take a month to update but its painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyMac
Last week the "Structured Data Testing Tool" included the star rating adjacent to the example listing along with the price and "in stock" label but now it is not.

However, these items are still being listed in the "Extracted structured data" listing below the example.

If anyone can confirm that this is the case for them too I'd breath a little easier. If not I shall worry why Google is doing this to me!

X-Cart Mobile
X-Cart Snippits
X-Cart Refine Filters
X-Cart Cloud Back UP
X-Cart Make Model Year
X-Cart Abandon Cart
X-Cart Brain Tree Module
WebsiteCm - CMS Blog
WebsiteCM - SDSEO Pro
WebsiteCM - Custom Tabs
Website CM - Product A-Z Map
BCS - Pre Order
BCS - Quote Module
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog
I have had the same problem, Since x cart fixed my module I have tested the links in the webmaster google shippets tool and it displays fine there but in google it does not.

I am not sure if it should take a month to update but its painful

Exactly the same. The webmaster tools show the rich snippets. But not in google. Ah, but it's there and you can't see it from your cached browser.

Do this:

Use chrome in "incognito mode" and then what do you see?

Google knows who you are and your search history.
Try being someone new.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks Carpeperdiem I will give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Exactly the same. The webmaster tools show the rich snippets. But not in google. Ah, but it's there and you can't see it from your cached browser.

Do this:

Use chrome in "incognito mode" and then what do you see?

Google knows who you are and your search history.
Try being someone new.

X-Cart Mobile
X-Cart Snippits
X-Cart Refine Filters
X-Cart Cloud Back UP
X-Cart Make Model Year
X-Cart Abandon Cart
X-Cart Brain Tree Module
WebsiteCm - CMS Blog
WebsiteCM - SDSEO Pro
WebsiteCM - Custom Tabs
Website CM - Product A-Z Map
BCS - Pre Order
BCS - Quote Module
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM

X-Guru

Warning to anyone with BOOKS AND MAGAZINES skin:

The x-cart 4.5.5 update patch does not know that your skin exists if you select the RGSR mod checkbox -- so B&M skin code will go missing in the updater.

IF your skin is based on B&M and you have this mod, manually patch your B&M skin files.

This is related to the installation issues I had -- B&M skin is not correctly represented in the diff patches -- I would imagine these are all related.

for example:
/skin/books_and_magazines/customer/main/product_details.tpl

line 25 should be:
Code:
{include file="modules/Customer_Reviews/vote_bar.tpl" productid=$product.productid rating=$product.rating_data rgsr_disable_rating='Y'}

But in the 4.5.5 diff, the rgsr code is missing.

UNLESS the 4.5.5 code is correct and this is a bug fix? If so, why not documented?

Alexander, please clarify?
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements