Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

What did the latest update do to my site?!?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 02-10-2016, 04:33 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: What did the latest update do to my site?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasPak
... Your CMS update messed up my footer even further... Really?!?
I had to manually change the font size to 12px to make it semi normal

For those of us sat patiently waiting.... (see our previous post) are you now referring to the NEW i.e. the replacement CMS Module as referred to by Qualiteam in their last post, or.... the original CMS Module that came with the 5.2.12 upgrade but c/w bugs? It's not clear from your post
Old 02-10-2016, 04:57 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A Racing
For those of us sat patiently waiting.... (see our previous post) are you now referring to the NEW i.e. the replacement CMS Module as referred to by Qualiteam in their last post, or.... the original CMS Module that came with the 5.2.12 upgrade but c/w bugs? It's not clear from your post
The one they just released
2GB ECC DDR3 1600MHz
2x Intel E5-2630L v2 Hex Core 2.4/2.8ghz
15 MB proc cache
60 GB 10k RPM hdd
PHP 7.0.15
MariaDB 10.1.21 with InnoDB engine
Old 02-10-2016, 05:54 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
The one they just released

That's concerning...

It's either a failure of the series of module pre-release QA checks or, your own store setup is very different than all others

It would be VERY handy if Qualiteam can post a message to clarify which it is today and answer this related https://forum.x-cart.com/showpost.php?p=394146&postcount=48 question at the same time.

We are very reluctant to upgrade our Dev store (never mind our Live store) to 5.2.12 because of things like exactly like this....

We did think that maybe it's possible to upgrade everything to 5.2.12 with the exception of the CMS Module but are guessing, that this won't work, unless Qualiteam can advise us differently? Yes we can raise a ticket to ask, but others would also benefit from the answer if they posted it here
Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 PM

X-Guru

Unfortunately, it is impossible to test design updates on every possible configuration. That's why the generic fixes that we release will work for many users, but someone will have to apply extra CSS tweaks to get the changes compatible with their setups.

The XC5 dev team have plans on adding the fourth number to XC5 versions. Minor tweaks that will likely not affect most of the users will go into that number. Also, there are three waves of releasing a new version ("live" stores get the update on the third wave only).

Although the above should minimize the risk of installing an update that breaks some custom design themes and/or modules, the good practice is testing the update on a dev copy of your site so that you could tweak your theme and custom modules before upgrading your "live" store.

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions

The following user thanks qualiteam for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualiteam
but someone will have to apply extra CSS tweaks to get the changes compatible with their setups
Yes, we did say this in our last post...Far from ideal but that's life

Quote:
The XC5 dev team have plans on adding the fourth number to XC5 versions

Previously, we understood that 5.2.12 was the last release of this XC5 evolution and after this, everything would be 5.3.xx which would be a different core / approach / function etc. If we now understand you correctly Alex, you are saying there MAY be 5.2.12.xx etc with minor tweaks on 5.2.12...

Quote:
...that will likely not affect most of the users...

...Is that correct?

Quote:
good practice is testing the update on a dev copy of your site so that you could tweak your theme and custom modules before upgrading your "live" store.

Yes that's exactly as we do it now (thanks to previous issues and not wanting all that pain again...) However, finding lots of 'new issues' in the Dev store and then correcting them all, can easily leave the Dev store being out of synch with the Live store, unless people are accurate and detailed with their own changelog. Then they may also need backups of backups for when it all crashes.... That's never going to be Nirvana but at least people are aware of a recovery method, with no loss of any online trading, BEFORE they go ahead and upgrade willy-nilly

Thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is impossible to test design updates on every possible configuration. That's why the generic fixes that we release will work for many users, but someone will have to apply extra CSS tweaks to get the changes compatible with their setups.

The XC5 dev team have plans on adding the fourth number to XC5 versions. Minor tweaks that will likely not affect most of the users will go into that number. Also, there are three waves of releasing a new version ("live" stores get the update on the third wave only).

Although the above should minimize the risk of installing an update that breaks some custom design themes and/or modules, the good practice is testing the update on a dev copy of your site so that you could tweak your theme and custom modules before upgrading your "live" store.

The problem I am seeing is with the custom css section. If put in there #secondary-menu {
font-size: 12px;
}

shouldn't that override any previous font-size settings in any other css for the div Secondary-Menu? Instead another css overrode those settings.
2GB ECC DDR3 1600MHz
2x Intel E5-2630L v2 Hex Core 2.4/2.8ghz
15 MB proc cache
60 GB 10k RPM hdd
PHP 7.0.15
MariaDB 10.1.21 with InnoDB engine
Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
...good practice is testing the update on a dev copy of your site so that you could tweak your theme and custom modules before upgrading your "live" store.
We have just run the 5.2.10 > 5.2.12 upgrade on our Dev store...

In 5.2.10 we already had the XC paid version of Extended Simple CMS (5.2.4) plus Simple CMS (5.2.7) and TinyMCE integration Module (5.2.6) all of which worked together perfectly for us. Ours is quite a simple store too compared to many others on here...

No technical issues at all during the upgrade process itself but...so far anyway, it's certainly not a happy Simple CMS Module (5.2.11) experience at all... Reminiscent of a heavy night out/bottle of vodka are the current visual site effects... We have raised a ticket We don't have all the knowledge yet to be fair, so we'll see what the answers are first.

We did ask the question below previously, but no answer was posted, so now we have included this in the ticket too

We did think that maybe it's possible to upgrade everything to 5.2.12 with the exception of the CMS Module but are guessing, that this won't work, unless Qualiteam can advise us differently? Yes we can raise a ticket to ask, but others would also benefit from the answer if they posted it here
Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 AM

Veteran

On the upgrade page where what is being upgraded is listed there is a link "advanced settings" or similar - far to the right. If you click on it will allow you to select which modules to upgrade and which to skip. With that said though my guess is some module if you skip them may not function properly if they rely on code that is being changed with the core upgrade (or other module upgrade). So this while somewhat useful functionality may actually break the store is some cases.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
qualiteam (02-14-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
On the upgrade page where what is being upgraded is listed there is a link "advanced settings" or similar - far to the right.......
Yes,we have used this option before, but not always with great luck Hit and Miss would be our honest description.

However, since our last post, it's now become clear that the previously paid for Extended Simple CMS is a dead duck once you're beyond 5.2.10 and the FOC Simple CMS is now the Big Daddy that does everything... well nearly everything, most of the time(nearly) and nearly correctly too, depending on your stores setup. Hello "Custom CMS" just to get you back to where you where.... Others have posted error messages on here having discovered this by accident when attempting to re-enable Extended Simple CMS post upgrade, but as we ourselves discovered, that's not possible. It's a dead duck

X-Cart have been helpful on our ticket and we were just about to get stuck in to all the Custom CMS work with them, when lo and behold....5.2.13 was announced Now we'll need to roll our Dev store back to 5.2.10, restore the Dev store database to 5.2.10 and then, finally, run the 5.2.13 upgrade and work from there as this is exactly what will happen with the live store, so we obviously need to replicate that..... Aaaaannndd breathe
Old 02-14-2016, 11:22 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
The problem I am seeing is with the custom css section. If put in there #secondary-menu {
font-size: 12px;
}

shouldn't that override any previous font-size settings in any other css for the div Secondary-Menu? Instead another css overrode those settings.

Code in the Custom CSS section follows the same precedence rules as the rest of styles loaded from *.css files. So, for example, if there is a "body #secondary-menu" rule that sets its own font size, it will override your custom code.

You can read more on this topic on that website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A Racing

Although you can choose to skip an update for a particular module when upgrading your store, I would not recommend you to do it. The older version of the module may rely on code that have been changed in the newer X-Cart 5 version. So, this may cause unpredictable problems in the future. However, there is a chance that the older version still works with the newer core. At least you may try it on a test copy of your website.

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)