Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Popup options/product.php on buy now instead of redirect to product page?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 AM

Advanced Member

Question Popup options/product.php on buy now instead of redirect to product page?

I have probably asked this quite a few times in the last 10 years of using X-Cart but no-one has ever come up with a definitive answer so I'm wondering if today will be my lucky day!

I really want to change the behaviour of the "redirect to product page for products with options"

I would like to have one of the following if possible

1) A modal/lightbox popup that displays the product.php when clicking buy now from the products list so a customer can select options and then add to cart from there

OR

2) More ideally, a popup with the options/add to to cart button in it when buy now is pressed from the products list. I honestly believe this should be the way options should be handled in the modern Xcart and still can't quite beleive we are still redirecting to a product page in version 4.6.1.

Anyone who can help me implement this would be my hero! I have four 4.5.x branch sites dying for this functionality and I am pretty sure there are other Xcarters who would mind something a bit more slick as well.

As an example Opencart have already got an extension that does this...

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=extension/extension/info&extension_id=8649

and I think it's about time X-Cart had this too.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Popup options/product.php on buy now instead of redirect to product page?

Try this one

I totally agree, it should be a feature of X-Cart.

The following user thanks PhilJ for this useful post:
loopsound (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Popup options/product.php on buy now instead of redirect to product page?

Thanks Phil.

Have come across that CFLsystems mod before but would preference my second suggestion as my product details pages are quite thin and not really worth displaying. Do you know of anyone who could code popup options from category list successfully for me or is it another one of those not really possible in X-cart ideas?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Veteran

You can still use the quick view mod and change the template to display only the options with add to cart button. The module uses its own template for the product info so you can modify it any way you want without affecting the actual product page

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
loopsound (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM

X-Guru

It is my understanding that add-to-cart popup received substantial fixes in 4.6.1 -- one of those being a product with options (if the setting is enabled) will redirect to the product detail page from the add-to-cart upsell (if product has options).

I had the beta of this module and it was supposed to be integrated into 4.6.1 --

It can be backported to 4.5 without too much effort.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks cflsystems, That's excellent news, I will certainly have to consider that for my sites. Just out of interest would there be an easy way to adapt the buy now function to switch to using quick view if it is enabled?

carpeperdiem I am sure there have been many "improvements" made to the add to cart popup but it still doesn't change the fact we are still navigating away from the categories list to a seperate page for a simple options selection. Most carts are doing this out of the box or have a module/extension to do this. People wish to purchase quickly and without being navigated away from the point of purchase until they decide to checkout. If they wish to see extended details about a product then that is where "more details" comes in handy or even cflsystems excellent module.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 PM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopsound
Thanks cflsystems, That's excellent news, I will certainly have to consider that for my sites. Just out of interest would there be an easy way to adapt the buy now function to switch to using quick view if it is enabled?
You mean the "buy" button is "buy" if no options but if product has options it turns into the quick view mod - "popup the options"? I have not tried that but a simple if statement should do it

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
loopsound (09-18-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Advanced Member

Is it possible to disable the popup box if the Membership is Wholesale? Regardless of whether or not there are options?

Kara Design Group, Inc.
http://www.karadesigngroup.com
Professional Creative Services
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design