Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

3.4.0 Released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 05-20-2003, 08:11 AM

eXpert

Is this going to be a regular thing that as soon as we finish a shop a new version pops up? Okay we don't have to upgrade, but the images out of the directory thing has been a key concern of many on these forums. It would make me think twice about doing any serious modifications other than the odd bit of tpl editing.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:23 AM

X-Guru

yeh, new versions do come out but thats not a problem.

You only need to update if you need the new features. Its up to you

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 05-21-2003, 02:21 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by linasg
I'm very sad... At this moment I'm finishing one store based on xcart 3.3.5 and now I see that there is new version... I've made a lot of changes and now as I see I'll have to do it again....

I feel somewhat the same, though I've been modding this cart long enough now that I've learned to wait for several new releases before upgrading. Having a cart that gets updated by the developers at such a rapid pace is a double-edged sword, but I find it beats the hell out of the competition's release and update schedules. Often you can just grab particular files from the latest update to patch just the important features that need patching on your version (if you know PHP). My cart is running parts of 3.3.1-3.3.4 and I'm quite happy to see all the new features in the latest version. Still not looking forward to rehacking it, but it gets easier with each new version. I hope the ultimate goal for the x-cart programmers is to completely modularize the modules so they can simply be installed/removed in a manner such as PostNUKE's module system. That's my only real gripe at this point. We need single-directory installs for the module architecture. Preferably the system would register standardized modules and then use an engine that didn't rely on modifying dozens of files for integration, but would function more like the plug-in architecture from programs such as Dreamweaver or Photoshop. I've seen other PHP-based CMS that have pulled it off and I'm certain the x-cart team could do it. It would probably be a non-upgradeable change to the code-base though....eveyone would have to do fresh installs and relearn how to mod the cart. Anyway, I'll shut up now and start playing with the new code!
Getting back into x-cart dev after a long hiatus. Modded lots of x-carts from version 3.1.x to 4.1.x. Developer of ImageScaler mod, Pre-login per user coupon mod, Wordpress feed mod, DigitalSubscriptions mod, Phonetic bulk download keys addon for DownloadExpander mod, Serial Number Generator for ESD products, Custom CMS/LMS integrations, external products mod, and more.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:19 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorgod
I hope the ultimate goal for the x-cart programmers is to completely modularize the modules so they can simply be installed/removed in a manner such as PostNUKE's module system.

I agree. This model, in my opinion, would translate to more new customers (and cross-overs from open source apps.) - it would def. benefit X-Cart and customers.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:31 AM

X-Guru

I also go with the idea of drawing a line and working on a version that address's all the issues and is more modular in its construction.

I suppose when they went fron f-cart to x-cart this sort of happened

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 05-22-2003, 06:17 AM

X-Cart team

Actually, we are already working on providing our customers with a much more "modular" structure of X-Cart.

Twitter: @aznakai
Old 05-23-2003, 11:07 PM

eXpert

Default Testing on a second database?

Ok i have requested a second database from my host provider. Now i need to know how to install the latest version of x-cart for testing before upgrading my live site.

Can someone post exactly the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2003, 03:13 AM

X-Guru

the same as you did your current version but do it in a new folder and add the details of your new database instaed of your old one

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 05-26-2003, 10:39 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrf
Actually, we are already working on providing our customers with a much more "modular" structure of X-Cart.

RRF there seems to be alot of core changes in x-cart that makes upgrading tricky after customising the system even a little.

I think the core of x-cart is actually of a level where it coulld possibly be locked down and all future enhancements become "added" modules? This way say from 3.5 you have the "core shop system" and the extra upgrades would be modules we can add/upgrade as needed. This would save alot of headaches and also enable 3rd party support modules to be written more easily. You could simply have a "module" section on the site where we could pick and choose what we need to add to the system. There seems alot of patches/upgrades etc that can be offputting. I'd feel safer in the knowledge that an upgrade doesn't need to replace everything everytime if you understand what i mean.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 AM

X-Man

A changelog, with the actual list of files altered from the previous release version would be very nice.

Rather than making a manual upgrade on a modified store difficult and guesswork, this would target the files that need immediate replacement or integration.

Can this become a standard?

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements