Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart for Stock Photography License

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 AM

Default X-Cart for Stock Photography License

Hi there,

I am looking to use X-Cart to replace an existing custom cart in a website that sells stock images. There is a little twist however, because of the volume of items in the catalogue I would like to approach this in a different way. My plan is to have the different licensing options as the catalogue items (as this is in reality what determines the price, not the actual image itself). My issue comes when I need to add the reference of the image to the order in the shopping cart. Is this something that X-Cart can cater for?

Hope someone can help.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: X-Cart for Stock Photography License

When you mean "reference of the image", is it adding watermarking the image? we can achieve it with bit of customization.

Price variation based on different sizes is quite possible using product options module that is built in.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 AM

Yes, the reference of the image. We don't need to add watermarking as we don't need this to act as a straight through system where the user can download the image directly after purchase.

Can you elaborate a little more on how much customisation would be required and would this be to the core of X-Cart or simply with templates/customisable parts of X-Cart?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

X-Wizard

What do you mean by reference here: You mean unique code/reference no for each image?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Sorry Dongan, I miread your initial question. Yes, the unique reference for the image.

Example:

From the customer perspective they choose an image, describe where and how they would like to use it (e.g. For a website, for a publication, within the US, outside the US, Worldwide etc., what type of customer they are such as commercial, educational etc.).

From the system/X-Cart perspective, the item in the cart is the license with options which produce the final price. Somehow the unique reference for the image they want is associated with the basket item.

Does that help any?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by felikz

From the customer perspective they choose an image, describe where and how they would like to use it (e.g. For a website, for a publication, within the US, outside the US, Worldwide etc., what type of customer they are such as commercial, educational etc.).

This can be done using product options module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felikz
From the system/X-Cart perspective, the item in the cart is the license with options which produce the final price. Somehow the unique reference for the image they want is associated with the basket item.

It is going to be the product SKU that should be unique always.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 AM

X-Cart team

Felikz,

Product options in X-Cart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGlpQN-EihU
X-Payments project manager
Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 AM

Hi Ambal,

Thanks for the link to the clip. I think the product options will fit perfectly with what I want to do regarding altering the price for the license, I think my main snag is going to be how I get the Unique ID of the image through into a simple text field on the cart.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 AM

X-Cart team

What's the Unique ID? Product SKU? X-Cart product options called "product variants" can have their own SKUs/IDs for product option combinations.

I.e. image size large can be SKU1, image size medium - SKU2, etc.
X-Payments project manager
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 AM

This is where it gets confusing! We don't sell the actual images, we simply sell a license to use a named image for a period of time in a particular way. I was looking to use the vendor type (i.e. commercial, academic, personal etc.) as the actual product (as this denotes most of the options after that) and then things such as license term (e.g. 6 months, 1 year, 3 year), usage (website, printed publication etc), and geographical spread (one state, one country, worldwide) as my options as these affect the pricing of the image.

Because of the volume of images (> 100,000) and because we already have the website fully built I don't want to import the images in as products in X-Cart ... at the end of the day we are not selling the image but merely some "usage" of it.

So, what I really want to do is be able to put a "Add to basket" link on our existing website that puts the visitor into X-Cart and lets them choose the product with options and somehow passes our reference for the image into a text field so that we can say they are licensed for that particular image with those options. Does that make sense?

I'm trying not to be vague but at the same time not really disclose too much. Happy to discuss offline in greater detail with anyone who would be able to help us.

Thanks
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project