Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Multi-Vendor, Multi-Payment Checkout

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Multi-Vendor, Multi-Payment Checkout

Hi Forum Friends

We are researching a shopping solution and are wondering about using x-Cart.

Let me explain what we're hoping to do and then please let me know if this sounds feasible to you:

AccessDance.com is a directory for Ballroom Dance Competitions and Dance Studios. We do not sell any products ourselves, but we receive about 50,000 visitors a month and would like to add a "mall" to our website allowing multiple vendors in the industry to join.

PART I> The mall should enable 3rd party vendors to sign up and add/manage their products/shipping/coupons on their own. X-cart's Multi-Vendor solution seems to do this well.

Ideally, when a customer checks out, they would be given an easy, but separate checkout process for each of the vendors they are purchasing from. This is not a requirement, but would be preferred.

Very similar to etsy.com.

PART II> Also, what I like about some shopping cart programs is the multiple display feature or "Showcase feature". My understanding is that we would setup a "mini-mall" for each of our Dance Competition clients who already have vendors who will be attending their event. If the same vendors who attend competitions would sign up at our mall and then we could create a separate Storefront/Showcase specifically for the event and display this selection of products on the competition's website.

Does this make sense? Checkout would still be handled at our mall, but we would like to setup special promotional pages to feature a pre-defined selection of our mall products and/or Vendors at other websites ("a shopping widget")

Our fees would be either a percentage of the vendor's sale and/or a fixed amount per month.

PART III> We would rather have a hosted solution, than have to install and manage the code ourselves on our servers.

Does anyone know of a good programming support person/company???

If so, do you/they have any customers using XCart who do something similar to this scenario? If so, please send the website addresses so we can take a look.

Thank you again!

-Ben
Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Multi-Vendor, Multi-Payment Checkout

Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking interest in our products and welcome aboard.

> Ideally, when a customer checks out, they would be given an easy, but
> separate checkout process for each of the vendors they are purchasing
> from. This is not a requirement, but would be preferred.

I am afraid X-Cart PRO doesn't provide separate checkouts for vendors.

The PRO version was designed for online stores selling products from multiple "providers" (merchants, vendors, suppliers, sellers) within single joint catalog. Each provider has his own password-protected area to upload and maintain his goods. But in terms of front-end, customers see a single shop, and the same URL for the whole catalog. The catalog includes all products from all providers.

Customers can purchase products from different providers at a time, and will get a statement from each provider they've bought products from. Respectively, each provider will get orders for his products only.

All payments are collected by the merchant account of site owner (admin). Anytime the admin can check each provider's income. It's up to the admin how much to pay to each provider. And it's up to the admin how to pay - send a check or perform online transfer of money, etc. Please note, X-Cart doesn't reflect how much you ever pay to your providers. The deal is between you and the provider, it's out of X-Cart control.

> Does this make sense? Checkout would still be handled at our mall, but
> we would like to setup special promotional pages to feature a pre-
> defined selection of our mall products and/or Vendors at other websites
> ("a shopping widget")

I think you should use categories functionality - see http://help.qtmsoft.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:Categories

I.e. you can setup events as categories and place products in there.

> Does anyone know of a good programming support person/company???

Yes, I do know such a company - see
http://www.x-cart.com/custom_development.html
http://www.x-cart.com/hosting.html

Also, you may find lots of useful add-ons and service offers at X-Cart Marketplace

> If so, do you/they have any customers using XCart who do something
> similar to this scenario? If so, please send the website addresses so
> we can take a look.

I am afraid we can't post links to our clients sites here without their permission (see our privacy policy at http://www.qtmsoft.com/privacy-policy.html)
All I can do is to invite you to look featured X-Cart shops at http://www.x-cart.com/featured_clients.html and hope someone else can post links to their X-Cart powered shops here.

Anyway, you are welcome to contact us with any questions!

Alex
X-Payments project manager
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Thank you alex!

Regarding "setting up our events as categories": That's a very good start as it allows a selection of products for a particular display. I read through the categories tutorial link you provided, but it didn't mention that we could display a category on another website. It would be really nice if one could "embed" a category of products on another website (like a Youtube video)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accessdance
Thank you alex!

Regarding "setting up our events as categories": That's a very good start as it allows a selection of products for a particular display. I read through the categories tutorial link you provided, but it didn't mention that we could display a category on another website. It would be really nice if one could "embed" a category of products on another website (like a Youtube video)

Or like your new ecwid product http://www.ecwid.com/key-features.

The following user thanks accessdance for this useful post:
ambal (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM

X-Cart team

Yes, Ecwid should be the best way if you need to embed shopping cart widgets on some existing web-sites. However, Ecwid and X-Cart PRO does not interface in real time. I mean they are two separate systems with their own databases and engines. You can export data from X-Cart into Ecwid, but that's a manual operation.
X-Payments project manager
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project