Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

quantity pricing

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM

Advanced Member

Question quantity pricing

What i'd like is this (for all products in a certain category only):

quantity as a drop-down WITH price modifiers so that for example my product quantity options will be a list like this:

15 - $110
20 - $130
25 - $150
30 - $165
35 - $180

there would be no list price / base price or at least it wouldn't show to customers.

I've tried doing this in two ways and neither is quite right.

FIRST NOT RIGHT METHOD: wholesale pricing
doing it this way, it shows like this
quantity as a text box
with a chart nearby showing the pricing per piece if you buy in certain quantities:
15-19 = $9.00
20-24= $8.90
etc.

SECOND NOT RIGHT METHOD: product options / price modifiers
shows a drop-down menu but there are two problems:
(1) there is still an overall quantity box at the bottom so a customer could conceivably order 100 sets of 100 invitations (or other less eggregious errors)
(2) the drop-down shows the pricing as an add-on to the base price when really i guess i'd like to get rid of the base price altogether for just those items.

am i making sense? is there an elegant way to do what i want to do?

thanks,
julie
Old 06-24-2011, 02:01 PM

eXpert

Default Re: quantity pricing

I'm not sure I can help with this Julie, but firstly, let me make sure that I understand the question.

Are you saying that you only want your customer to be able to order certain quantities? Ie, in your example, your customer can only order 15, 20, 25, etc, and not be able to order 17, or 21, and so on?

Also, are the prices on a 'per unit' basis, so for a quantity of 15, the price is $110 per unit ($1650 total)?

Depending on the answer(s), you may be able to use product variants to do what you want. Your variants would be '15 widgets' (priced $110), '20 widgets' (priced $130), etc. The downside is that your quantity selector would still exist, and overall it won't do your stock control any good.

Welly

www.traininglines.co.uk
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Advanced Member

welly,

yes, you've understood what i want. and yes, the downsides you mention are what have prevented me from using that solution.

i'm not worried about inventory, though, so do you think it would be possible to just hide the quantity selector just for this one category or would the cart come crashing down without a quantity selected?? : )

thanks,
julie
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM

eXpert

Julie,

It may well be possible to hide the quantity selector for just one category, although I personally don't know how you would do it. The complication is that it seems to be linked to the functionality of the buy button and the stock level.

Provided the relevant variables are still set, and you're only changing the appearance, I can't see why it wouldn't work. You may need to consider that when you add an item to the basket, the quantity selector is refreshed (and will change to an out of stock message if the item added is the last one).

Depending on your store settings, the quantity selector may not be visible in your product list if the products have options, therefore it would only appear in the product pages. With that in mind do you really need to remove it at all? Do you feel that your customers would order 2 '15 widget' packs instead of 1 x '30 widget' pack?

With regard to the options themselves, is there a sensible way to sell those products in the appropriate quantities to keep the quantity selector intact? For example, instead of using the matrix in your original post, could sell in packs of 5 with 1-3 at $37 (or thereabouts), 4 at $32.50, 5 at $30, etc?

That's probably squeezing your business model into what X-Cart can handle rather than the other way round (as it should be). What you really need are minimum, maximum, and multiples selectors for products, which as far as I know don't exist in X-Cart.

Welly

www.traininglines.co.uk
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design