Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Variants for variants

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Advanced Member

Exclamation Variants for variants

Hi everybody,

I've been searching for a solution for my problem, can't find anything that would help me. I wonder if someone knows the solution.

Basically, I have 1 (one) product that has 4 variants, and those for variants also have 4-5 variants/options, as well.

They are all different, though. Example:

(Product) Apple

Variant1 - Green
Variant2 - Red
Variant3 - Yellow
Variant4 - Orange

Now, it gets tricky from here..

Under Green I have: A, B, C, D, E
Under Red I have: F, G, H, I, J etc....

The plan is when the customer selects "Green", I want only A, B, C, D and E as additional options to be available.

And, if customer selects "Red" I want F, G, H, I, J to be available as additional options, ONLY.

I hope I'm clear as to what I would like to do, is there a way of doing this?

Please help,

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Variants for variants

Please....
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM

X-Wizard

I don't believe anyone has posted a mod for displaying dependent variants on this forum. You could try asking in this thread if they every came up with a solution.

---

The following user thanks gb2world for this useful post:
PannonSports (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 PM

X-Wizard

Hi Pannonsports,

As long as the overall options are the same for each product (e.g. all use size and colour - the same options) - then perhaps it can be done with standard options & variants...
If there is no logical link between ALL of the options, then I doubt it is possible given standard x-cart.

I am working from memory here and based on older X-Cart versions... so do excuse me if I am wrong (but it seems worth a try given you are stuck at the moment).

I think you perhaps could set-up product variants for all these and then in X-Cart Admin "export" your "product variants" and set some of those product variants to be "not for sale" (this should turn off the ones you do not want shown - are unavailable). From memory I think this can be done...
e.g. Perhaps try to test one product, where you have two options (3 colours & say 10 sizes) e.g. Red (A to J), Blue (A to J) and Green (A to J) - then via export, turn some of those product variants to "not for sale" (to turn some of them off) and import your product variants back into X-Cart.
This means of course you will have a large list of variants where maybe only 1/2 or less are being used, but at least it might work...
This may work and be the only easy way...

Sorry I can't test this method now, as we don't use standard variants - but honestly if this doesn't work, you might be better to move to another cart (unless you are a very good programmer and can totally change how options and variants works within X-Cart).

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: I am assuming that V4.3.X does allow you to set some product variants to "Not for Sale" (via CSV, when it doesn't on the Admin screen) with the above suggestion - but never used this version before...

The following user thanks Asiaplay for this useful post:
PannonSports (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Advanced Member

Thank you for both replies. At least I know it's called "dependent variants". I'm in a motorcycle business, where a certain part ie. brake lever fits Ho, Ka, Su Ya (variant1)and within those groups there are also bike models (dependent variants2).

I'll try to implement the solution suggested, but it may be a bit complicated, because I have a bunch of parts that should be listed as "dependent variants".

I've been using x-cart for years for small items, but now I'm thinking of expanding my online business, and I'm quite disappointed that the system can't handle this

X-Cart team, any plans for implementing this in the near future???
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM

X-Man

I haven't worked with 4.3.2, on 4.4.2, 4.2.3, and previous versions, but it is called "Filter Product Variants". Basically, you make every possible combination of all of the variants for the product, and then "filter" out those which are not available or applicable. It is a "option" in the "product variants" section of the product.
Integrated with Stone Edge Order Manager + POS

Version 4.1.12 Gold (fresh install) - X-AOM - Linux
Mods - XCSEO free
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design