Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Default Re: X-Cart 5 Released and changes of HelpDesk authorization form

It looks good!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
Subscription for upgrades is $99 per year....
..... if you build a store based on X-Cart 5, implemented needed features and do not require receiving new ones and bug-fixes, you can choose not to prolong upgrade subscription.

Tony the disturbing word here is "bug-fixes". The way you posted it implies that bug fixes are paid... is this the case? Do we need to understand that bugs in XC5 will not be fixed for free but part of the new features subscription? That doesn't sound right now does it?

$99 annual subscription to receive new features and improvements is ok, no argue there. But to include bug fixes in this .....

Also - will the $99 subscription include modules or only core XC5? Say I purchase it, it comes with 10 modules out of the box (free or not) and I purchase 2 more XC5 modules - what happens to them when XC5 is upgraded, new year started, etc. Or this is something covered by each module developer? What about QT modules?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Congratulations to the X-CART team. It was a real pleasure testing the beta releases of X-CART 5, and i can say it is really a bold change from the previous version. It is a really solid on the code end, and i am hard at work getting my modules ready for it.

Btw i see my name in the list who are awarded a X-CART Business License and i haven't gotten my gift
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Veteran

I did receive my free XC5 license today. Thank you QT, appreciate it
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Tony the disturbing word here is "bug-fixes". The way you posted it implies that bug fixes are paid... is this the case? Do we need to understand that bugs in XC5 will not be fixed for free but part of the new features subscription? That doesn't sound right now does it?

$99 annual subscription to receive new features and improvements is ok, no argue there. But to include bug fixes in this .....

No, we are not forcing money for bug-fixes. Let me explain.

We plan to release one major X-Cart 5 release, every 6~12 months. It means that we are making sure that if a client buys a license, he will get all major bugs fixed for his current major version within the 1st year of upgrade subscription. Moreover, he can even get two major releases (even more features) within the 1st free year of support subscription, if we manage to release major release fast enough.

Then, the client decides to prolong subscription. It will mean that within this extra year, he will receive at least one more major release with features. Or two major releases. And as well we are making sure that we will stabilize the software enough within the period that is covered by upgrade subscription.

Hopefully, now our point is clear.

Quote:
Also - will the $99 subscription include modules or only core XC5? Say I purchase it, it comes with 10 modules out of the box (free or not) and I purchase 2 more XC5 modules - what happens to them when XC5 is upgraded, new year started, etc. Or this is something covered by each module developer? What about QT modules?

Support subscription includes updates of all modules that are included into the package, you are buying subscription for.

For instance. X-Cart Business includes module Product Advisor. Upgrade subscription covers updates of Product Advisor.

On the other hand, we are planning to release commercial module Abandoned Cart Reminder soon and it will be sold for additional money. Upgrade subscription does not cover updates of this module, even though it is released by us.

The Abandoned Cart Reminder updates are covered by its own support subscription, which can be purchased after the first year of usage or can be omitted as well as core upgrades.

Module support subscription idea was introduced in order to solve the problem that happens when 3rd-party developers release module and then add new features to it, but cannot charge money for these new features from their existing clients.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Tony please move this post with new thread - after the forum changes I cannot find where to start new thread about XC5 installation, bugs, improvements, etc.

So I had the chance to install XC5 for real store, so far just in testing phase but here is my first impression:
1. Easy installation (same is through for latest XC4). I did not count on the script to create db, did not change tables prefix, just accepted all default, but no problems at all
2. The back end looks very nice although store is empty so hard to say much about products/cats presentation
3. I still see myself (an admin) logged into front of site while I am logged in admin - which to me is not right, so admin and customer sides are not separate; this was mentioned before as a bug and I guess QT decided to leave it like this for some reason...

I am typing here as I test on site - this is the reason I mentioned #3 before when XC5 was in testing and I mention it now - this is so wrong and should not be like this - I WAS ABLE TO DELETE THE ACCOUNT FROM THE STORE FRONT - AN ADMIN ACCOUNT - which of course resulted of no access to admin (lucky for me this was with test admin account). QT - please separate admin and customer sides of the cart completely - like they are 2 separate systems. There is no reason for admin to be logged in to front of store, period. Admin can and should create customer account for testing and not use admin account on store front.

4. Easy to change store front logo and favicon - this is good.
5. Of course should I mention - XC5 is way way behind XC4 in terms of features.
6. Installed modules page - in most cases this will have at least 2 pages - making changes to page one - enable/disable modules - you have to confirm these changes before you can move to page 2, etc. This results in cache rebuilt which takes time, then you can move to page 2 make change save - again cache rebuilt - if you have 5-6 pages of modules and you need to make changes on all of them you have to spend about 30-40min on this since every page has to be go through the cache rebuilt process.... slow and annoying process to just enable/disable modules....
7. I did not see "require password change on first login" when creating accounts. Is this option not in XC anymore?

I moved it here: http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=68426&page=2
Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raza
Congratulations to the X-CART team. It was a real pleasure testing the beta releases of X-CART 5, and i can say it is really a bold change from the previous version. It is a really solid on the code end, and i am hard at work getting my modules ready for it.

Btw i see my name in the list who are awarded a X-CART Business License and i haven't gotten my gift

Thank you, raza, for your favourable feedback!

Please contact our sales managers at sales@x-cart.com in order to receive gift license.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM

Thank you for the gift (free XC5 License).. truly appreciate it.

One question though .. I noticed that many of the modules we purchased for version 4.6 are not available yet for XC5.. Is there a timeframe on when these might be release?
Example: Braintree Payment, TwoFactor Auth, Trusted Stores, Cloud Backup, Abandoned Cart Reminder and most importantly the Pin Code/License Key

Thanks,
Ryan
Braintree
Popup Anywhere
Abandoned Cart Reminder
Cloud Backup
Kayako Integration
Rich Google Search Results
Pin Code/License Key
Remember Me
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
No, we are not forcing money for bug-fixes. Let me explain.

We plan to release one major X-Cart 5 release, every 6~12 months. It means that we are making sure that if a client buys a license, he will get all major bugs fixed for his current major version within the 1st year of upgrade subscription. Moreover, he can even get two major releases (even more features) within the 1st free year of support subscription, if we manage to release major release fast enough.

Still sounds like subscription is required in order to get bug-fixes. OK simple question
I purchase XC5, it comes with one year subscription out of the box, after one year I don't renew subscription. 2 weeks later a bug is found in this version. You fix it and there is a patch for it. Will I be able to download this patch and fix the bug in my cart or not? Do I need to renew my subscription to be able to fix the bug?
If bug fixes are part of upgrades (wrong but this is the situation now) this tells me I have to have active subscription in order to fix cart bugs or security patches....
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 AM

X-Cart team

Hi Ryan!

- Abandoned Cart Reminder is on its way to go and will be available in several weeks
- Pin Codes module is available in marketplace right now

As for other modules, we do not have ETA when they come and I would suggest you to post ideas/upvote current ones for all these modules in our Ideas portal:
http://ideas.x-cart.com/forums/229428-x-cart-5-ideas

It helps us to understand what features our customers want the most and the higher the placement idea has, the sooner it will be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark8700
Thank you for the gift (free XC5 License).. truly appreciate it.

One question though .. I noticed that many of the modules we purchased for version 4.6 are not available yet for XC5.. Is there a timeframe on when these might be release?
Example: Braintree Payment, TwoFactor Auth, Trusted Stores, Cloud Backup, Abandoned Cart Reminder and most importantly the Pin Code/License Key
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements