X-Cart 4.6.1 released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: X-Cart 4.6.1 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark8700
Hi Rocky,

We are currently using the Braintree Payment Module (for 4.5.5) which we purchased in June 2013 for $395.00 from X-cart.com directly

I noticed the module is no longer available for purchase.. Is this currently planned to be supported in the latest release?

Thanks,
Ryan

As it has been already noticed here, I'd better recommend you to contact our Sales department regarding this qeustion.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap eyeglasses
how about this version's running speed? faster than v2 series?

Speaking of the speed, please read 4.6 release blog post:

http://blog.x-cart.com/x-cart-v-4-6-released.html

4.6.x versions of X-Cart are the fastest ever (up to almost 5 times faster than previous ones).
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Veteran

OPC again has issues with jquery and updates. Go to demo site, add to cart, go to checkout, login. Click on change address. Select new one form the list. Everything refreshes and the "please wait" tab shows but never goes away. The only way to continue on the page is to refresh it
Old 09-14-2013, 02:16 PM

X-Guru

I just visited the 4.6.1. gold demo site...

Is it just me, or is the registration page just as dysfunctional in 4.6.1 as it's been for the past few years?

Please, someone tell me that I am doing something terribly wrong:

1. Go to x-cart 4.6.1 demo
http://demo.x-cart.com/demo/home.php

2. Click on register.
http://demo.x-cart.com/demo/register.php

Fill in name, email password. Submit.

3. We are taken to
http://demo.x-cart.com/demo/address_book.php

Now what should i do? Add new address? Why? Why didn't the store ask for my address before I "registered" ?

All I want to do is buy something...

Ok, let's go buy something... as I'm registered... I didn't enter my address because I don't understand why I need to do this to "register" (I'm playing dumb customer right now).

I added an item to the cart and proceeded to checkout.

I'm now in checkout. I'm offered a checkbox, "Save as a new address " -- but it's asking for my name AGAIN!? I already told you my name. How can I spend money at your store if your cart doesn't remember my name? Abandoned cart.

You see where I'm going with this...

PERSONAL INFORMATION fields are useless and should be BILLING NAME. Yes, I did this on my production store.

Registration should have the EXACT SAME FIELDS as checkout, including billing name and address. Anything less is just a newsletter signup with a password.

What am I missing?
I KNOW this is not the "XC5 checkout thread" but if 4.6.1 is the flagship (as of today), I have to ask why this "registration" UX has not been EVER dealt with....

Ok, customer profiles in the admin:
http://demo.x-cart.com/demo/admin/configuration.php?option=User_Profiles
WHAT is the difference between "Customer" and "Customer at checkout"
IT USED to be that "Customer" was for registration, and "Customer at checkout" was for, well, exactly as it sounds.

"Customer" is no longer, right?

SO what is "Personal Information" and why is this different than "Billing" info? In what circumstances will a customer's "personal information" name not their "billing name?

SO -- for many years, I have disabled "personal information". I simply don't collect it. But HOW can a customer register without multiple steps prior to checkout?

Currently, we are asking the customer to click on Add New Address when they submit registration. Then they get a popup. "But I already gave my name".

A temporary fix proposal:

Customer clicks "Submit" and then is redirected to address_book.php
AND THEN automatically, the "add new address" popup appears with the customer's name already pre-filled. (this is assuming you are not using the personal info name and using billing name instead)

Is the code to call a popup on a pageload something that we can do without great effort?

I hope this does not sound like a rant. It's a cry for a registration process that's just like the other kids and not oozing geek. We are leaving SO much business on the street and our conversion rates are down substantially since migrating to xcart 4.5.x (from 4.1) -- I know that this broken address book design and dysfunctional registration process are contributors to the overall lower customer experience.

I'm surprised X-Cart has permitted this to remain broken as long as it has.

I didn't permit customers to register for a very long time (except at checkout) - so I didn't feel the pain. I just recently started permitting customer registrations at any time -- and this has been a total downer.

MAYBE - the short term solution is to popup the "add new address" immediately upon entering address_book.php ?? Can we get away with this?

The following 2 users thank carpeperdiem for this useful post:
bullfrog (09-17-2013), Tigershark8700 (09-15-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 PM

X-Wizard

Upgraded from 4.6.0 and found the previous official patches cause the upgrade to fail on those patched files. Please tell me that someday in the future (even if it's years away) official patches will be supported by the upgrade process. If func.core.php can't patch this throws a wrench in the process.

Also found that modules/Discount_Coupons/add_coupon.tpl now has the following:
PHP Code:
<a name='check_coupon' /> 
This is not quite right and causes Firefox to render this element in the wrong place in the DOM. View source and it also shows there is an error with this line. You can see it in the demo. This is better:
PHP Code:
<a id="check_coupon"></a
Old 09-15-2013, 04:51 PM

@ carpeperdiem - You definitely fell into one of the problems we saw as well. In terms of some of the usability with X-Cart, we've had to custom develop different UX methods for our site (still in development).

I'd say in total so far we've spent about 80 hours just changing the standard/default X-Cart code to follow more standard pathways for users (following both non-technical and technical users), so they can better proceed throughout the site.

As of today, we are currently working on editing some of the UX/UI default information within the Checkout and View Cart Page... to be on par with most standard eCommerce procedure.

Also .. you are 100% correct on the naming convention.. the terminology used on online shopping is CRUCIAL .. If you call a form "Personal Information" even though you might be politically correct, this is not the correct format to name a processing form for eCommerce carts (speaking as a user from the United States). When I see "Personal Information" it makes me think (as a user) that I'm at the Bank or a the Doctors Office.. not at an Online Shop trying to buy something.

It should be called : Billing or Billing Information ..

As for the My Account.. we completely gutted the default system and implemented our own custom design and redid the complete UX for the My Account area. Its VERY important to get this right, which is why we are spending so much time and resources to nail this perfectly

My Suggestions (based on our UI/UX changes)
- Upon Checkout, autofill the Name/Address fields based on previously entered information. Think of it this way.. the shopping site should be sophisticated enough to reduce the customer's time processing on the checkout page to complete their order.

- Automatically pre-select the country based on Geolocation (Rule Logic: Unless however the default payment method / billing address was preselected within the address area, than use the default, and do not geolocate the user).

- When the user signs up, by default the membership boxes should not be there (we removed them). The default boxes should be: First Name, Last Name, Email, Password, Confirm Password, Sign Up for newsletter. Upon finishing registration they should be sent to the Home Page of the site ready to purchase (Except for)>
> Rule Logic 1: If they click "Register" from the home page or product page, they should complete the process and be sent to the previous screen. This means if the customer was looking at a Product, they should register and be sent back to the product page.
> Rule Logic 2: Following on #1, if the user is on the home page, and they register for a new account, they should be sent back to the home page so they can start to purchase.
> Rule Logic 3: If they click out of the Shopping Cart to register (VERY RARE), but it does happen.. ensure the Shopping Cart is cookied, and return the user to the shopping cart page so they can continue their order.
> Rule Logic 4: Remove the confirmation code from the Checkout page.. this is a big NO, even though I know the purpose is to reduce spam accounts, but it is completely not necessary to have this.

- The "Save Address" area should be changed from the top of the page to be more inline towards the bottom. If the user hasn't entered in an address yet, why are you asking them to Click to Save the Address? The placement doesn't make any sense.
Rule Logic 1: From our testing, even if we were using a saved address, the system automatically told us to Save as New.. which didn't make any sense.. again it is redundant to show this additional checkbox if I'm using an address that is already saved within the system.

- The Fax number box should be smaller.. even though I know you are making it the same to have the UI uniform with the Email box below, however it doesn't make sense to have a box this long when the actual number isn't that long. I always believe in making boxes the correct length based on the expected entry by the customer. For instance, you wouldn't make a credit card number form 60 characters long, when the expected value is between 14 - 16 digits.

- From a UI prospective, I would reduce the margin on the right side of the "Name and Address" box to have it consistent with the left side. Right now it just looks like this massive amount of extra margin when it doesn't need to be there.. This might go unnoticed by some.. but it's all about GOOD PRESENTATION to users.. having sloppy UI is not a sign of a professional eCommerce shop.

- By default on the checkout page, you have shown 2 links (View Profile and Sign Out).. again redundant, you want to discourage the user from clicking off the page, so why would you show two links to cause the user to abandon their cart? We completely removed these items from our cart and instead kept them in the header area.

- Checkout Page:Not sure if its just us, but if we are on the check out page, and we click off to go back to the catalog, we are automatically logged out? Why? The user should be cookied.. again it could be just us in testing :/

- Ryan
Braintree
Popup Anywhere
Abandoned Cart Reminder
Cloud Backup
Kayako Integration
Rich Google Search Results
Pin Code/License Key
Remember Me
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM

Veteran

+1 for the above. Building a new site for some time now and all from the above has been stripped out or changed from default XC code. Thanks Ryan for your post, although you are not the first one, all this has been said for years by many XC devs or users and yet it still remains.

Since XC5 is following the same model and already coded that way what are the chances QT will completely scrap address book/checkout/register process and re-build it as it should have been done in the first place? We have been asking for this since v.4.4.x.

The problem is - before that there was no address book, it has been asked for millions of time and finally coded in 4.4.x but coded wrong.... Since then even so asked millions of times to get it done right nothing has changed - the address book and checkout gets patched, yes patched, here or there with something and it just makes the code even more bloated and hard to follow or correct...

With every new version XC users/devs hope that this will get fixed.... I keep my hope for many years now But seeing same in XC5 is a little bit of disappointment...
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Advanced Member

Not sure whats going on...

during the attempted upgrade frfom 4.6 to 4.6.1 getting the following:

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj480/durableman/screenofxcart_zps5476771b.png

The screen before this I get all green checkboxes. I have chmodded everything to 777 and chowned all of the files to ensure it wasn't a permissions issue...

any ideas?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM

@ Steve,

We are still new to X-Cart (Paid on May 2013), so we have a fair bit of learning to do ourselves.. though that is quite disappointing to know that the UX has been the same (broken) for that long without being fixed.

I've been working in enterprise ecommerce for years, and when I see things like this (which are regarded as standard items) not working correctly.. It just causes a lot of time and resources on our end to resolve.. which we shouldn't be.

As of tonight, we are clocking close to 85 hours just on UX custom changes we've made to the site. These UX changes include the Account Area, Checkout, Product Page, Ratings Area and Admin Backend area.

I'm not sure if its OCD or just extensive years spent QAing projects I've managed, but I always tend to test every case scenario and flow possible before launching a project.. just to get it crystal clear..

Normally what I do is also pay for a small focus group of users to go through a site and tell me their reactions.. sometimes seeing how potential customers might see or say when they visit your site is very important.
Braintree
Popup Anywhere
Abandoned Cart Reminder
Cloud Backup
Kayako Integration
Rich Google Search Results
Pin Code/License Key
Remember Me
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
OPC again has issues with jquery and updates. Go to demo site, add to cart, go to checkout, login. Click on change address. Select new one form the list. Everything refreshes and the "please wait" tab shows but never goes away. The only way to continue on the page is to refresh it

Thanks for reporting this issue, we have fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie
Upgraded from 4.6.0 and found the previous official patches cause the upgrade to fail on those patched files. Please tell me that someday in the future (even if it's years away) official patches will be supported by the upgrade process. If func.core.php can't patch this throws a wrench in the process.

Also found that modules/Discount_Coupons/add_coupon.tpl now has the following:
PHP Code:
<a name='check_coupon' /> 
This is not quite right and causes Firefox to render this element in the wrong place in the DOM. View source and it also shows there is an error with this line. You can see it in the demo. This is better:
PHP Code:
<a id="check_coupon"></a

This issue also has been fixed.

We've also decided to re-upload the distributive package including these fixes.
Anyone, who already downloaded it can use the attached patches.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4_6_1_post_fix.zip (1.0 KB, 9 views)
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements