Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

LC3 alpha 2 ("X-Cart 5 Lite") is released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: LC3 alpha 2 ("X-Cart 5 Lite") is released

Quote:
But going to a product page with options and changing the options doesn't change the price.

It isn't supposed to change automatically at this moment. Add the product to cart and you will see the updated price there.

Quote:
So all of this tells me you guys don't test at all. I have no other explanation.

There is one explanation: it is alpha.

By the way it's really funny to see the reaction:

- if Qualiteam releases an alpha version (a developer preview actually) to show the community what we're working on, you say that it has bugs. Of course it has bugs, it is alpha!

- if Qualiteam doesn't release an alpha version and works internally to catch all bugs, you will say that you don't see any progress and QT does nothing.

Look at the LC demo, it is really a huge improvement over X-Cart. LC team made a lot of work to make a new gen shopping cart which will be really awesome. It looks as cool as Ecwid(which is actually a big compliment!). And at the same moment, it has a completely different architecture which will make a module development simple as a pie. All things the X-Cart developers dreamed of: API for 3d-party modules! No more dirty hacks!

It is the great news, isn't it? : -)

ex-Head of X-Cart Tech Support Department
ex- X-Cart Hosting Manager - X-Cart hosting
ex-X-Cart Technical Support Engineer

Note: For the official guaranteed tech support services please turn to the Customers HelpDesk.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:02 AM

X-Man

Please correct the wiki documents with regards to the server requirements. On the main page for LiteCommerce the site says that it requires PHP 5.3, but when looking in the Wiki Documents the software says it requires PHP 5.2.

We had a user attempt to install the software on PHP 5.2 machine and then opened a ticket with us saying that we're not a compatible host.

I will be downloading a copy of the software to load on a testing server here to check it out with compatibility of our machines.
Omaha SEO Office with National & Local SEO Services
Hourly Consulting - great for SEO Disaster Recovery, Audits and DIY Guidance

The following 2 users thank bigredseo for this useful post:
ambal (12-06-2010), xplorer (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 AM

would you be able to provide zip file for LC.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene

By the way it's really funny to see the reaction:

- if Qualiteam releases an alpha version (a developer preview actually) to show the community what we're working on, you say that it has bugs. Of course it has bugs, it is alpha!

- if Qualiteam doesn't release an alpha version and works internally to catch all bugs, you will say that you don't see any progress and QT does nothing.

There's a difference between having an online demo, and saying, look guys here where we are... and saying look guys here's a demo you can download and spend hours installing to try (but it doesn't work because we've not finished it)

There's also a difference between bugs found in use, and the fact that it simply won't install.

if it won't install there's really no point in having a download. To be honest, it does waste everyones time, the users here, and QT having to react and deal with all of this. If it was just an online demo and bugs could be filed while in alpha I think this would be much better for everyone.

Previous Versions included
BCSE Reward Points Mod
Altered Cart On Sale Mod
Wordpress Plugin

Please don't PM me for support. I help where I can on the forum and your question will more likely be answered there.

Shout me a Coffee!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Veteran

Well QT posted in here - another alpha is out, please go to the site and check it out. So that's what I did. I didn't download or install the software just tried to use it on the demo site. I am not saying is bad that you letting us know the progress and status of the new version. What I am saying is - you put it out there for the whole world to see it but it doesn't work even on the demo site (even if it's alpha do you think is good advertisement for someone to go try it and see it doesn't work?). Most shopping cart users are non-technical persons, they won't know it the alpha is supposed to work or not, they just will know the new version doesn;t work. I think you are going from not sharing any info on the progress to the complete opposite. It is good we have some idea what the development stage is but at the same time I don't think you are doing this in the right way. This is my personal opinion. You should hire testers (from xcart/lc community and developers) and send them plan, ways to test the software, specific situations and instructions they have to follow to test/replicate/find bugs and also request them to respond to you with a detailed reports. That's what you will be paying them for. This is part of the software development cost. Then you collect all this data, analyze it and work to fix the bugs and then repeat the process. 2-3 times should be enought. Then you can release to the public as alpha or beta. Putting it out in the open like you do right now by just saying - here it is next alpha take a look at it - won't help you get real data of what's wrong or if it helps it is just too long of a process. I am still thankful QT is improving somehow and showing us some progress.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene
Look at the LC demo, it is really a huge improvement over X-Cart. LC team made a lot of work to make a new gen shopping cart which will be really awesome. It looks as cool as Ecwid(which is actually a big compliment!). And at the same moment, it has a completely different architecture which will make a module development simple as a pie. All things the X-Cart developers dreamed of: API for 3d-party modules! No more dirty hacks!

It is the great news, isn't it? : -)

I think it looks like its got the potential to be a great shopping cart!
It may just be me and perhaps its that I am used to Xcart software but for me I can say this, I keep my eye on a lot of differant shopping cart software and although QT has their issues from time to time as far as I can see they are still the best all around shopping cart provider that I have seen so far when you take into account cost, support and a great forum with a lot of helpfull people.

"If you don't keep an eye on your business, someone else will."

The following user thanks photo for this useful post:
xplorer (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM

X-Cart team

Hi!

This is an alpha version. Although we made some basic testing, it hasn't passed our internal QA procedures and is full of bugs (and it is said in the first message and on our website). The reason we had made it available for public is to show how LC3 will look like when is released, let our customers and partners try it in their environments and collect some early feedback.

Does it work in IE8 right now? Apparently, it doesn't yet (more likely a patch will be uploaded to the website in a couple of working days). Can it be installed in all possible environments? From the bug reports I think it can't (however, we installed exactly the same package on our website and the installation took less than 10 minutes). Is it fast on all machines? I guess, it isn't. What does it mean? It means the only thing: we will continue our work and will improve the LC3 further until it is ready for a production website.

So, please no more speculations on the "another buggy version & lack of testing" topic, because this alpha version is supposed to be full of bugs.

At the same time we would appreciate any help with testing and improving the alpha version: we really need information on how LC3 alpha 2 behaves in different environments and on bugs you find (please report bugs here). Of course, we don't force you to do this. If you are ready to spend some time and try it for fun - it would be great! If it is not the case - that's fine, just ignore this announcement.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamu
would you be able to provide zip file for LC.

We will be updating the package on the website in about several days and I will send you a download link for a zip-archive.

If you are working on a Windows PC, you can try 7zip program to open the tgz-file (actually, you need to open it twice because tgz is a zip-archive inside a tar-file).

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo
...and although QT has their issues from time to time as far as I can see they are still the best all around shopping cart provider that I have seen so far when you take into account cost, support and a great forum with a lot of helpfull people.

I cannot argue with this one - totally agree
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM

X-Man

Any comment on the PHP Versions as listed on the litecommerce website compared the Server Requirements listed in the wiki?
Omaha SEO Office with National & Local SEO Services
Hourly Consulting - great for SEO Disaster Recovery, Audits and DIY Guidance
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements