The future of X-Cart and LiteCommerce

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: The future of X-Cart and LiteCommerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
It would be a HUGE missed opportunity on their part if they didn't involve the 18000+ registered users of this forum in the decisions. Obviously there needs to be a system created to manage all the feedback, as forum posts and the wishlist obviously don't get any attention.

There needs to be some sort of system to first sort the requests, and then vote on the requests. Other carts will need to be discussed just to that we can provide working examples of things that work well. I too would be VERY involved in this process, but only if my time is not spent in vain.

Once a final blueprint of features/functions is decided on by Qualiteam, there should be no less than 3 rounds of beta testing. 4.2 was supposed to be 'stable right away' but that is obviously not the case. This needs to be done right, by giving some sort of incentive for people to beta test, with a thorough bug reporting system and possibly its own forum.

I really think this is an opportunity to develop the best cart in the industry, but it needs to be done right. Qualiteam really has an advantage in having SO MANY users to draw ideas from, I hope they take full advantage of it so that no one is disappointed once the new cart is launched. There are a lot of talented people here in the forums, many of whom are willing to spend time making sure things are done right - almost like free programmers for Qualiteam. Use that to the fullest!

+1
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Does this mean that the new cart will not be compatible with the existing software and we will have to AGAIN start from scratch (the shop interface)? What about the database?

You don't need to migrate to the new platform. Moreover, if your X-Cart store is working and generating sales I would recommend you to stay with it.

If you decide to switch to the new platform, we will provide you with a script importing data and settings (that apply) from X-Cart 4.3 and LiteCommerce 2.2. However, most likely, there will be no such a script for templates and custom mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsonwebhosting
I know the nightmare of customers trying to migrate from LiteCommerce to X-Cart Gold - will there be a conversion program also worked on? The expense of moving from LiteCommerce to X-Cart v5 will likely leave a lot of users NOT upgrading. One of the big expenses being the conversion and importing of products. Templates we can re-do, no biggie, but the importing of products and customer data and variables etc - that's going to be key.

Will QualiTeam also be working on a conversion tool?

Such a tool importing data and settings (that apply) from LiteCommerce 2.2 will be available starting from X-Cart 4.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomobile
A major part of our back end is being able to export customer orders to a csv file. That we import into Access. Will this new version be able to do this?

We haven't decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomobile
Also, will there still be support for 4. versions?

Right now we are at a crossroad, where we will be deciding it x-cart is really the way to go, or should we be looking at another option.

Yes, we will fix bugs (if any), provide technical support, custom development and web-design services to X-Cart 4 users. However, most likely, new features won't be added to X-Cart 4 but the features that will appear in X-Cart 4.3.

If you would like to start a new online store, you can start it with X-Cart 4.2/4.3 and make profit before we release the new cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2003
Will be X-Cart v5 Object Oriented Programing? I hope not. Putting AJAX you will have to make it OOP.

We haven't decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulture
It seems to me that Qualiteam have just made this descision. As such they are saying that they are going to start a brand new cart. Fine. A very good idea. In any IT development the first stage is to document the user (our) requirements. Then to prioritise the requirements; then design a system to fulfil the selected requirements; then build it (then TEST etc etc).

Are we, their customer base, going to be asked to list our requirements, to actually say what we want? I would be prepared to spend time on this IF I could be assured it was worth it.

Are they going to list all our requirements and get votes or something, to get an idea of who what wants what etc? Are they going to involve the large customer base and listen to us, get our help, so that togther we can develop the best ever cart?

Yes, we surely will ask you to share your ideas and thoughts. I will consider possible ways and let you know details in a couple of days. For now I would appreciate if you do not discuss your ideas here.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 AM

X-Man

I am sorry, but can I summarise what you are saying xplorer, as your comments are split over several posts.

The next release of X-Cart is 4.3 and it will NOT be listed under PA-DSS verified payment applications.

There will be no more development of X-Cart (4.n) except Bug fixes and Security patches.

X-Cart 5 will be released end 2009, but You don't need to migrate to the new platform. Moreover, if your X-Cart store is working and generating sales I would recommend you to stay with it.

And you will be inviting us to say what we want from the new cart, and you will let us know how/where soon.

I hope you don't really mean that you recommend that x-cart users do not migrate to the new cart. You should be aiming at such a good new cart that x-cart users DEMAND to migrate. Not implying that there would be no point!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM

X-Cart team

Thanks, Richard.

Yes, 4.3 will be PCI-DSS compliant, but will not be listed under PA-DSS verified payment applications.

Yes, after the 4.3 release there (most likely) will be no more development of X-Cart 4 except Bug fixes and Security patches.

Quote:
And you will be inviting us to say what we want from the new cart, and you will let us know how/where soon.

Yes.

Quote:
I hope you don't really mean that you recommend that x-cart users do not migrate to the new cart. You should be aiming at such a good new cart that x-cart users DEMAND to migrate. Not implying that there would be no point!

I mean that there are no reasons for X-Cart and LiteCommerce users whose stores are generating sales to migrate in a hurry to the new platform until they really need its features. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Has anyone came with the look and feel of x-cart v5

Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamu
Has anyone came with the look and feel of x-cart v5

A year before it is due out?

Ultimate 5.4 testing
Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 AM

Veteran

Look and feel is a LONG way away
Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
It would be a HUGE missed opportunity on their part if they didn't involve the 18000+ registered users of this forum in the decisions. Obviously there needs to be a system created to manage all the feedback, as forum posts and the wishlist obviously don't get any attention.

There needs to be some sort of system to first sort the requests, and then vote on the requests. Other carts will need to be discussed just to that we can provide working examples of things that work well. I too would be VERY involved in this process, but only if my time is not spent in vain.

Once a final blueprint of features/functions is decided on by Qualiteam, there should be no less than 3 rounds of beta testing. 4.2 was supposed to be 'stable right away' but that is obviously not the case. This needs to be done right, by giving some sort of incentive for people to beta test, with a thorough bug reporting system and possibly its own forum.

I really think this is an opportunity to develop the best cart in the industry, but it needs to be done right. Qualiteam really has an advantage in having SO MANY users to draw ideas from, I hope they take full advantage of it so that no one is disappointed once the new cart is launched. There are a lot of talented people here in the forums, many of whom are willing to spend time making sure things are done right - almost like free programmers for Qualiteam. Use that to the fullest!

Well said Padraig.

X-Cart would do well to take your words into consideration at the highest level.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Is there a thread for features request or features discussion for x-cart v5

Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Veteran

Not yet, nor is this the place for it. Once a thread opens up we'll be sure to post here.
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements