Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Problems passing PHP variables to Smarty templates

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 01-05-2004, 02:37 PM

X-Adept

Default Problems passing PHP variables to Smarty templates

I have created the file "query_parse.php" in the customer directory. Inside that file is the following:
Code:
<?PHP $arg_value = explode("=", $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']); $smarty = new Smarty; $smarty->assign("argval", $arg_value[1]); // value of the URL argument ?>

I am trying to display certain tabs at the top of my site by using the category of the product being displayed using the following code in head.tpl:

Code:
{ include_php file="../customer/query_parse.php" } { if $argval eq "" } { include file="topnavtabs/top_nav_tabs_01.tpl" } { elseif $argval eq "3" } { include file="topnavtabs/top_nav_tabs_02.tpl" } {/if}

Every time I now try to load my site I always receive the error "Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in query_parse.php on line 3".

The variable churns out the correct number each time if I remove the "smarty->assign" line and replace that with a "print($arg_value)", so I know that I am getting the information I need. I just can't get it into the template I am using.

I have going over and over documentation of PHP and Smarty for the last 4 hours and am at my wits end to explain why I can't pass this variable. I am new to both PHP and Smarty so please bare with me.

Thanks,
Joshua

NOTE: I moved this post from the board "Program Logic" today, this was originally posted on January 4th.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:43 PM

X-Adept

Somehow, and for no apparent reason, the problem has stopped giving me the "non-object" error after I 'required' the Smarty.class.php, but any attempt to reload my pages after a change in the template says I can't redeclare a certain variable (sorry, forget name).

Also, I still cannot get variables created in a PHP document to pass into a Smarty template. Any PHP variables or Smarty variables created in a PHP document always contain nothing when inside a template. Variables I assign in a template also don't hold their data no matter what I put in them using the syntax ->
Code:
{assign var="foo" value="bar"}

This is most frustrating.

If anyone can please enlighten me as to what is going on I would appreciate it.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design