Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Funkydunk's COOL mod for total meta tag control

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 07-13-2003, 05:16 AM

Default Does it of a must to use HTML CATALOG

Friends

When using this - Should it be require to use HTML CATALOG
Also, It is hard to understand how it will work, Does the HTML function amend the html pages when changes are made. Or does it will be require to do all from square one. The manual is very unclear with regard to this all.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2003, 06:36 AM

X-Man

You should be using the html catalogue if you are concerned about better search engine positioning. The php based store does not index as well as pure html.

I always drop my existing catalog when i generate a new one. I don't see any advantage to keeping the existing pages. **EDIT** Never drop your catalogue if possible. Some of those pages may be indexed and you will lose valuable traffic to 404 errors.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:34 AM

Advanced Member

Does this Meta Mod work with 3.4????
Old 08-14-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Funkydunk, any reason why my title is sticking to the page

Funkydunk, thanks for offering the mods.

I had no problems inserting the codes and seeing what it does.
However when making category modifications I am seeing one there.

when I add title metas etc. then hit update, everything disapears. seems like it will not take the update.

next is:

when I go into company options and make changes to comapny title, meta keywords. Seems like this does update.

however, when I create my catalog (dump the old) and take a url to my browser I am only seeing the category name show up in the TITLE.

this is one of the most important things so I hope there is a simple way to fix or perhaps a small detail I have missed.

my cart version is:

X-Cart version 3.4.3
PHP 4.2.2

Thanks a lot man!

John Finney
Old 08-16-2003, 03:50 PM

Thanks as well for the mod.

I'm running 3.4.4 and it seems to be running fine. not sure if this deals with the mod or not but only thing I have ran into though is when viewing the Cart the page comes across as <title>#NAME?</title>

And on the checkout pages the title comes across empty.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:41 AM

eXpert

Jfinn, be sure that the MySQL patch was successful. It sounds like what you're having happen could be caused by missing information SQL info for the mod.

Rodneyw, here is some modified code for the title tag:
Quote:
{elseif $main eq "order_message"}
{$lng.txt_subtitle_thankyou}
{elseif $main eq "pictures"}
{$lng.txt_pictures}
{else}
{$lng.txt_site_title}
{/if}

The 'pictures' is in there because of an extra page that I added to the cart and I wanted a unique title for it. That can be applied to any extra pages you add to your xcart site.

Cameron
Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 AM

well I found my issue, it was in the language library.

The following entries had #NAME? listed as the value ..

{$lng.txt_subtitle_cart}

{$lng.txt_subtitle_checkout}

{$lng.txt_subtitle_thankyou}

Out of curiosty does anyone have an idea why this happened or is it a default setting that needs to be changed on initial installation??
Old 08-24-2003, 05:07 PM

Just as a FYI the modifications to the Mets.tpl file will break the webmaster mode in x-cart 3.4.4

Here is the "patched" version of the meta.tpl file that I am using with this to make it work.

Code:
{* $Id: meta.tpl,v 1.9 2002/11/19 14:53:27 ndv Exp $ *} {* funkydunk metamod *}{if $current_category.meta_description ne ""}<META NAME="description" CONTENT="{$current_category.meta_description}">{else}<META NAME="description" CONTENT="{$config.Company.meta_description}">{/if}{* end of funkydunk metamod *} {if $current_category.meta_tags ne ""} <META NAME="keywords" content="{$current_category.meta_tags}"> {* funkydunk metamod *}{else}<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="{$config.Company.meta_keywords}">{* end of funkydunk metamod *}{/if} {* funkydunk metamod 2003 *} <META NAME="title" CONTENT="{$config.Company.meta_title}"> {* end of funkydunk metamod*} <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="noarchive"> <META NAME="audience" CONTENT="all"> <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="7 days"> <META NAME="Content-Language" CONTENT="en-us,english"> <META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="global"> {if $webmaster_mode eq "editor"} {if ($usertype eq "P" or $usertype eq "A") and $login} <script>var store_language = "{$current_language}"</script> {else} <script>var store_language = "{$store_language}"</script> {/if} {if $user_agent eq "ns"} <script src="{$SkinDir}/editorns.js"></script> {else} <script src="{$SkinDir}/editor.js"></script> {/if} {/if}
Old 09-11-2003, 07:03 PM

eXpert

Great Mod!

Shouldn't this be moved to the "Custom Templates" section of the forum?

Regards,

Glen
Hosting:mind-in-design.net
Configuration: Virtual Dedicated Server || Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ CPU || 1024MB PC2100 DDR RAM || Linux || PHP 4.3.2 || MySQL server 4.0.14
Old 09-12-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Database patch

Could you help me here a bit. I am not sure just how to patch the database. Could be that all of this is new to me! Please help this old FORTRAN programmer!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions