Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Product Variants and Product Name, Product List Price

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Product Variants and Product Name, Product List Price

I am just implementing 4.4.5 from 4.1.8 and noticed this problem when testing my database migration. I really don't want to tackle a fairly major mod to get this to work, so I guess I will eliminate market price from anything that has variants. This is definitely something that should have been included in the cart system by now. I guess it must generate a lot of revenue for xcart. "Develop once and charge (full price) many times for the same mod."

xCart: Version 4.4.5
PHP: 5.4.26
MySQL Version: 5.5.36-34.0
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM

X-Adept

I totally agree.

Also a conversion stopper, showing from prices is marketing at its best.

Talk about a bummer
Can't believe I never noticed this before, have been running X-Cart since early 2005 ... me feel stupid.

I meanwhile removed the from text and at least the savings icon is there.

Big mod opportunity though, any mod developers around?
I would buy immediately(!) and since this is affecting all versions of X-Cart ... lot of potential I'd say!

Best would be: a mod that would automatically up the -normal- (from) price by calculating the difference in percentage between the normal price and cheapest variant, then executing this percentage automatically with other variants. Not 100% truth in some cases with all variants but a way to fix this without having to modify all variants in shops with a normal price.
Is better than having a lower normal price than the selling price and even more better than having no normal price ...

Maybe this is possible with some nifty if/then statement?
-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the best dutch language pack? 4.1.x - 4.6.x compatibel, native speaker translation! More info
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Advanced Member

Thumbs up Re: Product Variants and Product Name, Product List Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick
I totally agree.

Also a conversion stopper, showing from prices is marketing at its best.

Talk about a bummer
Can't believe I never noticed this before, have been running X-Cart since early 2005 ... me feel stupid.

I meanwhile removed the from text and at least the savings icon is there.

Big mod opportunity though, any mod developers around?
I would buy immediately(!) and since this is affecting all versions of X-Cart ... lot of potential I'd say!

You and me both. I like your idea of removing the text, so at least it would still say it was x% below market price. Clever.

The following user thanks cherkes for this useful post:
Warwick (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Advanced Member

Actually though, I just noticed that the "savings graphic" disappears unless the core product is selected. Bummer indeed.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:58 AM

X-Adept

You sure? I don't have that, but could be that I already changed this earlier on, can't recall. At least this is doable with an if/then statement somehow.

Today I became aware of this variants normal pricing problem while one of my clients reported being called by clients (a lot!) asking why they had to pay more than the normal price ... ... call them dumb but this is and should be a true eye opener for all X-Cart shop owners!

A lesson in never to figure what you think is logical and will be understood the same way by others. Who knows how many sales this has cost you/us/any X-Cart webstore owner ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the best dutch language pack? 4.1.x - 4.6.x compatibel, native speaker translation! More info
Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM

X-Adept

Carl, checked my code for you (but be aware: it is 4.2.x):

It is in your product.tpl and I think this is taking care of it:

Code:
{if $product.taxed_price gt 0 && $product.list_price gt 0} <div class="save" id="save_percent_box"{if $product.appearance.market_price_discount eq ""} style="display: none;"{/if}> <span id="save_percent">{$product.appearance.market_price_discount}</span>%<br />Discount </div> {/if}

But wait, I see this twice in my code, so maybe I just added it again somewhere in the description section and thus it'll show ... I'm not a hardcoder unfortunately and fix some things through trial and error - without recollection.

I am quite sure I changed this in the past because something wasn't working correctly with the icon, have no memory what the issue was though ...

But with me the icon remains shown with selection of other variants - great because it shows the same percentage as discount with all of them.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 AM

X-Adept

But it could also be that the icon not showing with you is version related, I have no idea ...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Advanced Member

Just getting back to this. I will take a look. And since I just upgraded to 4.4.5, I need to update my signature also!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Advanced Member

I decided to go through and clear list prices from all products that had variants (that had a negative impact). I am considering making my own set of discount icons and adding them to product descriptions. The only bad part about that is the time to add them manually.

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design