Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Simple Guide to Creating Basic PHP Pages using Templates

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Advanced Member

Post Simple Guide to Creating Basic PHP Pages using Templates

I originally wrote this for my blog - but I thought I would share - I had a hard time finding this information how through the forums so I here we go a new thread.

I don't know if I just missed the section that details how to create a PHP page in X-cart so I finally just broke down and decided to write this article.
Here was my scenario - I wanted to create a static PHP page that could access from the x-cart site root. I also wanted the page to use the main template design for the site - so things like shopping cart totals and customer login info were still being displayed.

Things to know:
1.) X-Cart uses SMARTY template engine - I can't stand it - but whatever.
2.) X-Cart uses a directory structure that keeps all template files in one location (yourroot/skin1/)
3.) PHP scripts are executed from outside of this /skin1/ directory - try using a the folder called Modlues and add your custom file there.
4.) The logic for creating a template is:
yournewpage.php --> skin1/customer/home_main.tpl --> include customer/yournewpage.tpl --> skin1/customer/yournewpage.tpl
I create sitemap.php as my example.
1.) Lets create sitemap.php

Code:
<?php # # $Id: sitemap.php,v 1.0 2010/01/11 18:09:11 pdma Exp $ # require "./auth.php"; require $xcart_dir."/include/categories.php"; $smarty->assign("_sitemap_",$_new_page_); $smarty->assign("main","_sitemap_"); func_display("customer/home.tpl",$smarty); ?>

If you look at the last line - we just captured all of the necessary SMARTY variables and shoved them into the "customer/home.tpl" - this template calls another template into the center content area of your page "customer/home_main.tpl"
So lets alter the "customer/home_main.tpl" page - towards the last line include this just before the final "else" statement

Code:
{elseif $main eq "_sitemap_"} {include file="customer/sitemap.tpl"}

Ok - so now we are injecting the "customer/sitemap.tpl" into the main content area of our web page - with all the fancy design we spent so long to perfect.
So lets create and add some content to the "customer/sitemap.tpl" in our /skin1/ directory

Code:
{* $Id: sitemap.tpl,v 1.0 2010/01/11 09:52:43 pdma Exp $ vim: set ts=2 sw=2 sts=2 et: *} {capture name=menu} {if $active_modules.Fancy_Categories} {include file="modules/Fancy_Categories/categories.tpl"} {assign var="additional_class" value="menu-fancy-categories-list"} {else} {assign var=thiscat value=$cat} {assign var=par value=0} {foreach from=$categories item=cats} {assign var=Mcatid value=$cats.categoryid} {foreach from=$allsubcategories.$Mcatid item=subb} {if $subb.categoryid eq $thiscat} {assign var=par value=$subb.parentid} {/if} {/foreach} {/foreach} {foreach from=$categories_menu_list item=c} <h2><a href="home.php?cat={$c.categoryid}" title="{$c.category|escape}">{$c.category}</a></h2> {assign var=in value=$c.categoryid} <ul> {foreach from=$allsubcategories.$in item=cat} {if $cat.parentid eq $c.categoryid} <li><a href="home.php?cat={$cat.categoryid}" class="subMenuItem">{$cat.category}</a></li> {/if} {/foreach} </ul> {/foreach} {assign var="additional_class" value="menu-categories-list"} {/if} {/capture} {include file="customer/menu_dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_categories content=$smarty.capture.menu}

On this page we used some standard x-cart variables to display Categories and Subcategories - from here you can extend it to include template variables so you can even more granular control.
- example try adding a language variable to the code just after the last SMARTY include line

Code:
{$lng.lbl_shopinfo}

Like I mentioned before you can keep extending this to include simple includes to other templates such as a template to where PHP can bve executed - such as in the Modules directory outside of /skin1/

Code:
{include_php file="modules/Sitemap/sitemap.php"}

I hope this helps - if you know of a better place to find this documentation - would you please let me know.

Portland web design / development
X-Cart 4.1.9 (a few carts)
X-Cart 4.2.0 (1 cart so far)

The following 5 users thank pairodimes for this useful post:
am2003 (07-10-2010), AusNetIT (04-30-2010), matallen (02-25-2010), pia (05-14-2010), vasilis (03-08-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Simple Guide to Creating Basic PHP Pages using Templates

PS - this is also a pretty helpful post for those looking to create a Sitemap Page with automatic Categories and Subcategories.

For an XML sitemap I always recommend WebSiteCM CDSEO Pro - amazing.

Portland web design / development
X-Cart 4.1.9 (a few carts)
X-Cart 4.2.0 (1 cart so far)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Simple Guide to Creating Basic PHP Pages using Templates

This is all sorts of awesome - v. helpful, thanks for sharing.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design