Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Is your hosting and site ready for PHP 7.2

X-Cart forums > General > General talk

Old 10-14-2018, 05:24 AM

Veteran

Default Is your hosting and site ready for PHP 7.2

It's not a joke and time's running out. I know many XC4 sites continue running even on PHP 5.3.x mostly due to 3rd party modules which have not been supported for years.

https://secure.php.net/supported-versions.php

https://www.zdnet.com/article/around-62-of-all-internet-sites-will-run-an-unsupported-php-version-in-10-weeks/

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
elmirage001 (10-14-2018), kevfromwiganinlancashire (11-06-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:32 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Is your hosting and site ready for PHP 7.2

Hi Steve,

We have our dev store on 4.7.9 and we're waiting for 4.7.10. We have moved to a new server on TSS so we can run 5.6 and 7.2 in different subdomains.

4.7.10 was supposed to be released by end of 3rd quarter. Have you heard any updates for when 4.7.10 will be released?

Thanks for all you do!

Paul
  • Total Server Solutions Hosting | Linux | PHP v7.2 | MySQL v5.6.40 |
Old 10-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Veteran

No I don't know. Next XC5 was also supposed to be released Q3. Since it is already mid-October and none of it is ready and 3rd party devs had no change to test with the new versions I suspect they will be released next year.
If QT decides to release them now which will be like November I would advice everyone to not jump on these new versions until after New Year. 3rd party modules will nto be ready and tested and with November/December being all holidays it will be simply asking for trouble

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
elmirage001 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 02:09 AM

X-Cart team

4710 is planning to release this week

536 with global hidden attributes and updated google feed is scheduled to November

54 beta release moved to Q1 2019

The following 2 users thank xim for this useful post:
cherie (10-16-2018), elmirage001 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 AM

X-Man

Also make sure you are not on a hosting service that will AUTO update you without warning. Updates to php 7 need to be planned and tested in most cases.

We do not auto update our hosting clients and make a plan of action first. We have a lot of people come to us because their hosting company updated their php, mysql, etc versions without warning and need fixed quickly

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 10-24-2018, 06:13 AM

X-Wizard

I now have my test store running v4.7.10 on PHP 7.2 in a subdomain while my live store is running v4.6.6 on PHP 5.6.

Steps:

1. I moved to a new server on TotalServer Solutions that can run a different version of PHP in a subdomain.

2. My root x-cart .htaccess file had some RewriteRule statements which affected the subdomain because it was on the same document root. TotalServer Solutions has now made it possible to create a subdomain below my public_html document root which should solve the problem.

3. TSS had to tweak some server settings but I now have v4.7.10 on PHP 7.2 in the subdomain for development while my live v4.6.6 store is running PHP 5.6.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 AM

Veteran

Good to hear.
That's not enough though. I constantly, on a daily bases, run into sites on PHP 5.6.x because of 3rd party modules. Using XC 4.7.x but can't move to PHP 7 because of these encrypted modules. And needles to say 90% of the time those are modules from devs not working with XC for years now.

Moving to PHP 7 is not just the right thing to do anymore - it is mandatory. And if that means your site has to say goodbye to SmartSearch, AC OPC, AC OnSale, TXS modules, etc than that's what you need to do.

The other problem is (sorry Carrie) if you have any BCSE modules make sure they are not base64 encoded - I just can't tell you how many times server side scanning has wiped out these modules because of this. If you have any make sure 1) you keep good copy of the site and 2) make the host aware to whitelist them.
Better yet ask BCSE to provide you with different version of the module. I am sure they can work with you on this.

dpcompany (10-24-2018), elmirage001 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 AM

X-Wizard

Hi Steve,

I downloaded the PHP 7 versions of CDSEO Pro, Custom Replacements, and Category SEO Map and they are working without problems with the correct ioncube.

Phil's working on his new reDUX template.

The only addon I'm having to tinker with is the un-encripted AC Cash Rewards. It uses mysql_real_escape_string() which is not supported. I can get it to work if I create a function with the same name in func.core.php and a few other edits.

Do you see any issues with the below function or is there a better way?

Code:
function mysql_real_escape_string($html_escape) { $html_escape = htmlspecialchars($html_escape, ENT_QUOTES | ENT_HTML5, 'UTF-8'); return $html_escape; }

Thanks Steve for all you do!

Paul
Old 10-24-2018, 09:15 AM

Veteran

htmlspecialchars will convert to html codes - that's not what you want.
You want to escape the characters that may cause issues inserting in MySQL.

XC uses func_addslashes($var) in some cases which will do the work although it is not exactly the same as mysql_real_escape_string.
You can Google "addslashes vs mysql_real_escape_string" if you want to see the difference. In general it will work.

Code:
function mysql_real_escape_string($html_escape) { return func_addslashes($html_escape); }

If you want to see what this function does it is located in prepare.php

cherie (10-24-2018), elmirage001 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Good to hear.

The other problem is (sorry Carrie) if you have any BCSE modules make sure they are not base64 encoded - I just can't tell you how many times server side scanning has wiped out these modules because of this. If you have any make sure 1) you keep good copy of the site and 2) make the host aware to whitelist them.
Better yet ask BCSE to provide you with different version of the module. I am sure they can work with you on this.

Yes unfortunately some of the servers have an auto removal of base64 type code and I don't believe they even warn the owner. Really if that's found, a notification should be gone out because if it is unintended base64 code then there's something else even worse going on likely. (vulnerability in code somewhere allowing uploading of malicious files)

We had started down the route of ioncube encryption but we also ran into so many issues with this with software we resold (websitecm/Smackdigital, Altered cart, etc) and compatibilities that we never went that route either.

We're happy to help if you need updates for any of our modules to work on php 7 Just drop us an email.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!

The following 2 users thank BCSE for this useful post:
cflsystems (10-24-2018), cherie (10-24-2018)
   X-Cart forums > General > General talk