The future of X-Cart and LiteCommerce

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM

X-Cart team

Default Re: The future of X-Cart and LiteCommerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Not yet, nor is this the place for it. Once a thread opens up we'll be sure to post here.

I will create a thread as soon as our engineers put a "Thank you" button under each forum post. It will enable us to estimate how features, described in forum posts, are important for you.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 PM

Advanced Member

Just when I thought it was safe to think about upgrading to 4.2... along comes an even bigger shark!

Let me make sure I understand this correctly...

X-Cart 4.2 just came out, but is not supposed to be totally stable for another 3 to 6 months, which will put it sometime in summer of 2009.

But in the meanwhile, X-Cart 4.3 will also be released in spring of 2009.

So now, we're going to have 2 versions being made stable simultaneously? If 4.3 comes out before 4.2 is completely bug-free, will 4.2 still continue to be tweaked at that point, or will 4.3 replace it?

Should one upgrade to 4.2 in the summertime, or wait for 4.3 to become stable... whenever that will be?

Is anyone else as confused as I am?

Dima
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 AM

eXpert

We're struggling with the same issues. One of our stores is built off of 4.0.x and it's starting to get pretty tired. We were planning on upgrading in the 1st quarter, adding in some of the newer features, smoothing out some of the processes that were pretty rough in 4.0.x, etc. Once we put in the effort to upgrade, I'd like to run the store for 2-4 years without having to put the time/expense in to upgrade again.

I understand many people will argue the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" line, but that's a cop out really. When using old software forces more challenging business processes/less ability to accomplish what a business currently needs, but the upgrade path is so difficult/expensive, it leaves you with some real thinking to do. Add in rapid fire expected future upgrades where there is no real upgrade path in and it leaves us really wondering if we should wait and have stagnation of our business in several areas or forge ahead and pay through the nose to have work done, done again, and then redone for a third time.

On the flip side, I'm very happy that Qualiteam is aggressively looking to improve their product. It's just the process of getting from point A to point
B that may be a little rough.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Advanced Member

Good news to hear the plans for x-cart.

I do think that x-cart is doing the right thing here. I actually like the fact that they made a post about the general time frame for a release. It was always frustrating to spend 'support points' (money) paying Qualiteam to update a cart only to find out that the very NEXT WEEK a new version came out. Very frustrating.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 PM

X-Adept

X-Cart 5 sounds like Qualiteam is paying attention to what the market needs and is going to put out a modern product rather than continue trying to patch an old model.

This is great news!

Anything I can offer the team in the way of alpha/beta testing or filling out a usage, functionality survey I am available to help.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Advanced Member

Smile Re: The future of X-Cart

This is great news, and a very good business decison on their part, I think.

If we only knew what changes, additions will come out. Someone made a great point in bringing up the usual post release bug period which just increases the time frame for usability of xcart v. 5

They must read minds. I have already begun toying with the idea of upgrading to 4.2 or looking to the competition for a more modern ecommerce cart. It seems most ecommerce sites now use ajax, lightbox, video and xcart is looking vintage. It's time to move on some way.

Let's hope they do give us an outline for the contents of the new version of xcart very soon.
Version 4.2.3
Multilingual shop: Spanish, French and US English
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM

Advanced Member

I think it's a smart business decision also, but EXPLORER has not clarified the confusion of having all these different versions in release at the same time.

4.2 , 4.3 , 5.0...

Are 4.2 and 4.3 going to be developed and tweaked simultaneously, or is 4.3 going to replace 4.2?

Is there any reason whatsoever to upgrade to 4.2 (once it's bug free), or just wait for 4.3 to become bug free? And when is that anticipated exactly?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima65

Are 4.2 and 4.3 going to be developed and tweaked simultaneously, or is 4.3 going to replace 4.2?

4.3 will replace 4.2.

Quote:
Is there any reason whatsoever to upgrade to 4.2 (once it's bug free), or just wait for 4.3 to become bug free?

There are no reasons to upgrade your 4.1 stores to 4.2 right now except you really need its features.

Quote:
And when is that anticipated exactly?

4.3 is planned to be released this spring. We do our best to release "bug free" versions in the first place, there will be no more "stable" and "current" versions of X-Cart.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer
You don't need to migrate to the new platform. Moreover, if your X-Cart store is working and generating sales I would recommend you to stay with it.

If you decide to switch to the new platform, we will provide you with a script importing data and settings (that apply) from X-Cart 4.3 and LiteCommerce 2.2. However, most likely, there will be no such a script for templates and custom mods.

Such a tool importing data and settings (that apply) from LiteCommerce 2.2 will be available starting from X-Cart 4.3.

Ok, this is extremely confusing to me. Presently, most x-cart users are somewhere in the 4.1.x range, yet you say "a script importing data and settings" will be available from 4.3.

Does this mean that the majority of x-cart users will have to upgrade to the (sorry, its still not stable) 4.2, and then upgrade again to the "unreleased" 4.3 before they can use the new (5) version?

I don't understand why you would even contemplate a 4.3 version if it is going to be obsolete in 6 months. What is the point?

Ideally, any present customer should be able to upgrade to the 5 version regardless of which version they are presently using. I understand that this is probably not possible, but for every upgrade "hoop" you are forcing customers to jump through you are going to lose a significant number. Isn't there someway that you can make "upgrade" scripts from at least the most current versions of each branch (4.0.19, 4.1.11, 4.2.0)?
Integrated with Stone Edge Order Manager + POS

Version 4.1.12 Gold (fresh install) - X-AOM - Linux
Mods - XCSEO free
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Does this mean that the majority of x-cart users will have to upgrade to the (sorry, its still not stable) 4.2, and then upgrade again to the "unreleased" 4.3 before they can use the new (5) version?

Sorry for being unclear. We will provide X-Cart and LiteCommerce users with a script importing data and settings (that apply) from X-Cart 4.1/4.2/4.3 and LiteCommerce 2.2 to "X-Cart 5". Also, we will release a script importing data and settings (that apply) from LiteCommerce 2.2 to X-Cart 4.3.

The following 4 users thank xplorer for this useful post:
Geoffrey Pittman (02-05-2009), ink0198 (08-07-2009), JWait (02-04-2009), rofea (04-11-2010)
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements