Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.2 beta testing

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM

eXpert

Default Re: X-Cart 4.2 beta testing

Hello

I check in my support desk for X-car 4.2 beta link and doesn't exist.

I found the following message under my licences.

'No licenses were found on your inquiry. Please check your filter'

I check the filter but no luck.

Any one has and idea on what is goig on.

Jose.

www.uncionmusic.com
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM

eXpert

Thanks Balinor. I found it. I missed the filter part of it and it was only displaying Live licenses. Went to not working and found it.

"Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge." - Thomas Edison

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (1901-197 quoted in John M. RIchardson, ed. Making it Happen, 1982

"Water is the best of all things." - Pindar (c. 522 BC - c. 438 BC), Olympian Odes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiker
Thanks Balinor. I found it. I missed the filter part of it and it was only displaying Live licenses. Went to not working and found it.

Checked on not working still no link to accept.

www.uncionmusic.com
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM

I am a bit confused about how the membership function is implemented, basically "why" it's restricted to one membership per customers and then ability to asign one or many membrships to products and categories. In my view it would really be much more usefull the otherway around... is this something that has been up to discusion? As this is something specifically needed on the customerside, could it be possible to have both, to not break current functionallity, something like Customer Group?

To me it's much easier, and more efficient I think, to asign a customer to one or more groups which then defines what categories and product are availble to him. The logic is quite simple, a product usually belongs in one category, or it cannot be a book and a CD at the same time, but a customer may like to buy both a book and a CD. Of course both the book and the CD can be on the same subject so to speak but isn't that what Categories are for?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM

eXpert

The short of my analysis... I am not upgrading any time soon. I don't see a lot of great features other than dimensional shipping that warrant totally redoing the design in a hodge podge as Balinor said and the employees having to relearn where everything is in the STILL jumbled up admin.

2 things I really like:
1. Dimensional Shipping
2. Meta data for ALL pages in the cart including each product

The drawbacks to these great new changes that should have been in there a long time ago. We will have to go back through and redo most of our products to add the dimensions and meta data to them. How much time will that take away from the continual effort to get new arrivals listed???

Tis a shame those were not incorporated into X-Cart before now. Particularly the meta data. How long has meta data been around and been used????

I did report some issues though before I decided I need to get back to work.

"Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge." - Thomas Edison

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (1901-197 quoted in John M. RIchardson, ed. Making it Happen, 1982

"Water is the best of all things." - Pindar (c. 522 BC - c. 438 BC), Olympian Odes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim
I am a bit confused about how the membership function is implemented, basically "why" it's restricted to one membership per customers and then ability to asign one or many membrships to products and categories. In my view it would really be much more usefull the otherway around... is this something that has been up to discusion? As this is something specifically needed on the customerside, could it be possible to have both, to not break current functionallity, something like Customer Group?

To me it's much easier, and more efficient I think, to asign a customer to one or more groups which then defines what categories and product are availble to him. The logic is quite simple, a product usually belongs in one category, or it cannot be a book and a CD at the same time, but a customer may like to buy both a book and a CD. Of course both the book and the CD can be on the same subject so to speak but isn't that what Categories are for?

A single Book could be in multiple categories such as:
Books
New Books
Action Novels
Clearance

I personally think that the current set up works but is not implemented as thoroughly as it could be. There should be member level control in more places such as coupons.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by finerpeter
2) CanadaPost shipping has upgraded their priority services and changed the company that handles them from Purolator to FedEx. However Xcart version 4.1.x still shows the old names. Can this be also changed please?

I would appreciate if you let us know where the information is taken from. I've reviewed their web site and haven't noticed any mentioning of this.

Vyacheslav,

Please review the thread which we opened with regards to the CanadaPost issue, where we also listed the full change details after your request to do so: http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=43304

Specifically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellogo
Hello Vyacheslav,

Ourselves we received the notice via regular mail from CanadaPost back in September informing us of the change starting from October 1, 2008. They also provided us at the time with new packaging material bearing the FedEx logo ("Envelope" for documents and "Pak" for non-documents).

You can also view their announcement "Ammendment #5 Effective September 29, 2008" in PDF document format on this link http://www.canadapost.ca/rates/2007/pdf/PS_Guide_Amd5-e.pdf

Thank you Vyacheslav, I'd appreciate it greatly if you can please post an update in this thread as to when X-Cart will update this matter as it is quite an important matter for us Canadian merchants.

The issue of Paypal Pro not being available to Canadian merchants is an inconvenience for sure, but one that we can live with.

The issue of CanadaPost however has to be fixed urgently and I'm sure I speak for all my fellow Canadian merchants.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
A single Book could be in multiple categories such as:
Books
New Books
Action Novels
Clearance

I personally think that the current set up works but is not implemented as thoroughly as it could be. There should be member level control in more places such as coupons.
Yes but I think there is no such problem as to asign a product to several categories of your choise, no matter the membership connection. The problem is that you cannot asign a customer to more then1 group which I think is a major issue and weakness of X-cart. I don't see that it would be a major thing to do with user memberships as with product, category and discout memberships - give it its own table and allow for customers to be both in the "hidden sex" and "Religous stuff" groups. Just to give an extrem example that custoers interest can be "devided". Bottom line is that if I put a customer in the "hidden sex" group to give him access, he's excluded from everything else that isn't 'All' - which I think is really stupid.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim
Yes but I think there is no such problem as to asign a product to several categories of your choise, no matter the membership connection. The problem is that you cannot asign a customer to more then1 group which I think is a major issue and weakness of X-cart. I don't see that it would be a major thing to do with user memberships as with product, category and discout memberships - give it its own table and allow for customers to be both in the "hidden sex" and "Religous stuff" groups. Just to give an extrem example that custoers interest can be "devided". Bottom line is that if I put a customer in the "hidden sex" group to give him access, he's excluded from everything else that isn't 'All' - which I think is really stupid.

I see your point and agree that member groups could be a cool feature.

One of my problems with the current member setup is that you cannot select multiple memberships in such a way as to allow non logged in to see a category but once a member level is logged in they can no longer see that category.

Say I have a clearance category.

With these memberlevels for my store.
Premier
Wholesale

I don't want wholesale to have access to the clearance section when they are logged in.

Right now I do this by manually creating all my side nav links and putting if/else memberlevel code around the clearance link. This is a half a$$ed way to do this as it doesn't handle products put in the cart from that category before login.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
I see your point and agree that member groups could be a cool feature.

One of my problems with the current member setup is that you cannot select multiple memberships in such a way as to allow non logged in to see a category but once a member level is logged in they can no longer see that category.

Say I have a clearance category.

With these memberlevels for my store.
Premier
Wholesale

I don't want wholesale to have access to the clearance section when they are logged in.

Right now I do this by manually creating all my side nav links and putting if/else memberlevel code around the clearance link. This is a half a$$ed way to do this as it doesn't handle products put in the cart from that category before login.
Right and I cannot see this would be so hard to implement, basically the same thing as been done with Products, Categories etc. a new table xcart_customer_memberships and store the memberships there in a true relational way, the rest of the code is more or less in place as this been implemented for Products, Categories and Discounts. Then instead of a simple varible with the customer membership to chaeck agains, an array is used. I think it would be pretty straith forward, a great improvement and not too much of a change or bug prone.

Xcart please this would be sooo cool - should I make this a 'bug'?
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements