Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

IE not displaying menubar correctly

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Default IE not displaying menubar correctly

I just added a flyout menubar using the Spry tools in Dreamweaver. I thought it was all hunky dory till I tested it in IE. FF and Opera work fine. It seems all versions of IE are doing it.

www.ingallseng.com

The menubar should have no background color, its set to transparent in the CSS, and the background carbon fiber texture shows through the buttons. In IE it has all the main level menubar items with a white background. I cannot even make the white background change to any other color. The text is set to red for now, only so you can sort of see it in both browsers. I made a blank test page to get the menubar set up how I wanted and that worked fine in IE. After I have set it up inside Xcart then there is the problem.

I am extremely grateful for any advice. Thanks.

CSS partial file
Code:
/* The outermost container of the Menu Bar, an auto width box with no margin or padding */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal { margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; font-size: 125%; cursor: default; width: auto; } /* Set the active Menu Bar with this class, currently setting z-index to accomodate IE rendering bug: http://therealcrisp.xs4all.nl/meuk/IE-zindexbug.html */ ul.MenuBarActive { z-index: 1000; } /* Menu item containers, position children relative to this container and are a fixed width */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal li { margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; font-size: 100%; position: relative; text-align: left; cursor: pointer; width: 8em; float: left; } /* Submenus should appear below their parent (top: 0) with a higher z-index, but they are initially off the left side of the screen (-1000em) */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul { margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; font-size: 100%; z-index: 1020; cursor: default; width: 8em; position: absolute; left: -1000em; } /* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to auto so it comes onto the screen below its parent menu item */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible { left: auto; } /* Menu item containers are same fixed width as parent */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul li { width: 8.2em; } /* Submenus should appear slightly overlapping to the right (95%) and up (-5%) */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul ul { position: absolute; margin: 0% 0 0 95%; } /* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to 0 so it comes onto the screen */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible { left: auto; top: 0; } /******************************************************************************* DESIGN INFORMATION: describes color scheme, borders, fonts *******************************************************************************/ /* Submenu containers have borders on all sides */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul { border: 1px solid #CCC; } /* Menu items are a light gray block with padding and no text decoration */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal a { display: block; cursor: pointer; background-color: transparent; padding: 0.5em 0.75em; color: #EF392B; text-decoration: none; } /* Menu items that have mouse over or focus have a blue background and white text */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:hover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:focus { background-color: transparent; color: #000000; } ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a { background-color:#FFFFFF; color:#333333; } /* Menu items that are open with submenus are set to MenuBarItemHover with a blue background and white text */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarSubmenuVisible { background-color: #595959; color: #FFF; } /******************************************************************************* SUBMENU INDICATION: styles if there is a submenu under a given menu item *******************************************************************************/ /* Menu items that have a submenu have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenu and are set to use a background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenu { background-image: url(skin1/customer/spryassets/SpryMenuBarDown.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 95% 50%; } /* Menu items that have a submenu have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenu and are set to use a background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenu { background-image: url(skin1/customer/spryassets/SpryMenuBarRight.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 95% 50%; } /* Menu items that are open with submenus have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenuHover and are set to use a "hover" background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover { background-image: url(skin1/customer/spryassets/SpryMenuBarDownHover.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 95% 50%; } /* Menu items that are open with submenus have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenuHover and are set to use a "hover" background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover { background-image: url(skin1/customer/spryassets/SpryMenuBarRightHover.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 95% 50%; } /******************************************************************************* BROWSER HACKS: the hacks below should not be changed unless you are an expert *******************************************************************************/ /* HACK FOR IE: to make sure the sub menus show above form controls, we underlay each submenu with an iframe */ ul.MenuBarHorizontal iframe { position: absolute; z-index: 1010; } /* HACK FOR IE: to stabilize appearance of menu items; the slash in float is to keep IE 5.0 from parsing */ @media screen, projection { ul.MenuBarHorizontal li.MenuBarItemIE { display: inline; f\loat: left; background: #FFF; } }
X-Payments 1.0.4
CDSEO Pro
EWD Hosting

Last edited by AMMoyer : 04-09-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: better title
Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: IE not displaying menubar correctly

Hi Adam -

When I look at your page with the IE Developer Toolbar - it is showing the li has a background color of #fff. This might be how IE initializes it if it is not set.

Have you tried setting the li in the css? Something like:
ul.MenuBarHorizontal li {background-color: transparent;}

or initialize it at the top of your css:
li {background-color: transparent;}

If this turns out to be the issue, you might want to add your support to get QT to initialize their CSS in v5 here.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Thank you! It was the very last rule in the CSS file. Some specialized formatting so this will work with IE 5 of all things. I changed that to transparent and it's perfect.

BTW I now have IE Developer Toolbar installed. I have gotten pretty spoiled with FF and all of its plug-ins, but there is more to the world.

Thanks again.
X-Payments 1.0.4
CDSEO Pro
EWD Hosting
Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM

X-Wizard

Firebug with FF is much better for debugging - but the IE Developer toolbar comes in handy when looking at problems/differences in IE
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design