Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Quick/Instant Search Feature. What to choose?

X-Cart forums > General > General talk

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Quick/Instant Search Feature. What to choose?

I'm more than happy to give out free trials for my mod (on request), it involves no subscription.

I take my previous comments back.

The following user thanks PhilJ for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 AM

X-Man

Glad to know that Phil. Just let us know when you do this. For the moment we have 5 Instant Search solutions for XC:

X-Cart AJAX Dynamic Search MK2
Smasher
(*) Predictive Search
(*) CloudSearch
One unnamed but functional

I marked with a (*) those solutions having trail versions. So folks, please give them a try, choose what you need. I like trials because they give me the opportunity to test and see what is good or bad. Imagine how hard is for a developer testing his solution without a large feedback, how he solves the bugs. With a trial you could get feedback from potential customers, and it is for free. I am a person who likes doing testing and not expecting rewards (maybe a beer or a good old whisky because I like to talk to developer and this action needs a drink for sure).
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 AM

X-Man

I don't blame QT for CloudSearch service. It uses a dedicated Search Server like Sphinx, it is fast, full of features, easy to customize. I think the prices of $349 is for a year subscription and for a limited number of products. Who wants a SaaS and can afford just paying for it monthly CloudSearch is the only one on the market for XC.

In other shopping carts let's name one Magento, instant search is for free. Not complex like CloudSearch, but there is one for free. This is the main reason people prefer to start using free shopping carts. Carts like XC have features for extra money or worst they don't have at all.

I tested TheXCartStore Predictive Search. There were things I liked and I didn't. But it was a great idea generating automatically word combinations based on DB fields and also create manually combinations based on what a customer searches. This gives flexibility. Also when a word is not inside the combinations DB, the script warns administrator about this, very wise. You could loose a customer, but only one for that combination.

I suggested QT to allow manually combinations for CloudSearch. For such of amount per month ...
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 PM

X-Man

I found another Instant Search, this time (funny) they pretend it is FREE:

X-Cart Ajax Auto-complete Search Keywords Module FREE

http://www.xcartsolutions.com/freebies/x-cart-ajax-auto-complete-search-keywords-module-free/

After you order it, you will get an email they are waiting for payment. So, it is free or not? Totally unprofessional and disappointing. If the developers are members of this Forum please correct this issue, it is bad for your business!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM

X-Cart team

I do think that if you make a product it should be the best on the market. What are the main problems with predictive search that installs on a web-server?

As a store owner you have to install special extensions to your server, as well as pay administration and maintenance fees. For stores with a lot of products this solution is also sure to increase the requirements for hosting environment.

All of that is paid for by store owners.

Yes, there are some solutions which allow you to have very simple predictive search without such complicated tasks. But personally I believe that using such a solution is like seeing the film "Avatar" through a keyhole.

That is why we decided to do all these boring and complicated tasks on our side, and do it very professionally. Store owners do not have to pay for setup to admins, they do not have to pay maintenance fees, only for professional and powerful features of CloudSearch. You see that CloudSearch has great features in comparison with other solutions on the market. If you want to provide your customers with the best solution to find your products, CloudSearch is number one.

I am really glad that Qualiteam has a lot of 3d party developers with 3d party add-ons which extend the default X-Cart functionality. More solutions, stronger competition, better results. However, I definitely think that it is not fair play when 3d party developers say that the price of a certain Qualiteam solution is "ludicrous", although they themselves are offering a very simple analog. I agree with Steve Stoyanov's words (@cflsystem) that popup windows in X-Cart should be done in one style and should be clear and simple for customers (and we already added this improvement to our plans), but I totally disagree with your words, PhilJ. It looks as if you were comparing the prices of iPhone and Nokia3310 and saying that
both of them can make calls and send SMS, but Nokia is much cheaper.

Surely, it is up to the store owners to decide which solution is best for their store. Different goals, different requirements, different budgets. It is great that there are a lot of solutions on the market. As a result of this competition merchants have a wide range of solutions to choose from.

The following 2 users thank xim for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-24-2012), rocky (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 AM

X-Man

This post is off-topic but it is as result of what we discussed before. CloudSearch comes as a monthly service comparing with the others which are modules, one time payment.

I agree a potential customer should evaluate his own needs and take action. Taking monthly services it could be good or not. In our days I see many developers migrating to monthly paid services. Interspire is one, Magento is other. From my point of view it is not a problem to pay no matter how much the price is. But things will become complicated when you have to pay for an Instant Service, for a Helpdesk, for a Live Chat, and I let you fill up what other services you are paying for monthly.

There are countries where a bank fee costs a lot for a company, monthly payment is not a cheap solution (e.g. all bank transfers bellow 10.000 Euro will be charged with 25 Euro for Share, and 40 Euro for Ours - AS BANK FEE MY FRIENDS). I could use Western Union to transfer money, but not doing this monthly. The best solution for a customer is finding all he needs in one place, and pay on time or monthly.

I was one who trusted Sales-n-Stats and I spent 250 USD to get it in 2007. One year later SNS died, so my investment was lost. Now what LiveChat with templates shall I choose? Most of them are asking monthly payments. So, for the moment none of them fit my needs.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:00 AM

X-Man

Seeing these Predictive Search solutions for XC I was wondering why anyone did not take in consideration setting up words in Product management page, Category/Subcategory pages, Manufacturer page. It was so simple this way. You create your product and set up exactly the words you want for predictive search, a text box and lines. Every line means a search term. Same for Categories or Manufacturers. Once you do this if a filtering module is available you can set up the fields/attributes for filtering.

Predictive Search from TheXCart Store has this manually feature, but it is in its own module interface which is not the same as I mentioned above.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
I found another Instant Search, this time (funny) they pretend it is FREE:

X-Cart Ajax Auto-complete Search Keywords Module FREE

http://www.xcartsolutions.com/freebies/x-cart-ajax-auto-complete-search-keywords-module-free/

After you order it, you will get an email they are waiting for payment. So, it is free or not? Totally unprofessional and disappointing. If the developers are members of this Forum please correct this issue, it is bad for your business!

Hi Addison,
I had gotten the same e-mail. I just logged into my account on the site and downloaded it anyway from the backend. Were you able to find any competent search/filter solution that can integrate or export as well? It seems some of the promising solutions that was being worked on have dried up.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 AM

X-Man

Those guys are totally unprofessionals. I sent them a ticket 3 weeks ago and I got no reply. Avoid such of companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoses
Hi Addison,
I had gotten the same e-mail. I just logged into my account on the site and downloaded it anyway from the backend. Were you able to find any competent search/filter solution that can integrate or export as well? It seems some of the promising solutions that was being worked on have dried up.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM

I need a solution. It has been a while and I thought we would have more options. But it is opposite.
- Smasher pulled their products citing X-cart plan to hosted
solution. no more demo.
- Predictive Search does not really work well. Try typing the second word from product title and it will not show up.
- X-Cart AJAX Dynamic Search MK2 still selling but their demo does not work.
- Zone1creative - what happened to this one? Demo still work, but no plan to finish for sale?
- CloudSearch is full of feature as you would expect considering the cost.

Any update or new solution that I am not aware of?

Thanks.
BCSE CIM
Apache
Linux
   X-Cart forums > General > General talk