Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Newsletter subscription management

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 09-22-2002, 03:56 PM

Default Newsletter subscription management

I would like to be able to manage the newletter subscription file. Apparently it is stored in MySQL table Б─≤maillistБ─≥. I can not access it via X-Cart, only with help of mysql tools. Any suggestions how to do it?
I am not too skilled in the PHP stuff, I can only hack things that some smart people write.
Martin
Old 09-22-2002, 05:00 PM

X-Guru

How do you mean "manage" ? The best thing to use phpMyAdmin, just search google for it.

hth.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:55 AM

I agree with "martinp". There should be some way to do the following...

View the members.
Delete members.
Delete old newletters.
See a total number of subscribers.

And yes phpMyAdmin will do all this. Download it if your host does not already have it installed for you.

There was no clear way for subscribers to optout of the newsletter either; unless you count the one screen that shows one small link to unsubscribe just after you joined.

The news letter should send out an email to the email that subscribed; telling the user that he/she just joined a newsletter. The same goes for the unsubscribe.

I have added an unsubscribe to the help menu. To see click optout.

If you are interested here are the steps...

1. Create a optout.tpl file in your help directory. Paste the code below in that file.
Code:
{* $Id: optout.tpl,v .5 2002/10/10 06:55:20 lucky Exp $ *} {capture name=dialog} We Respect Your Privacy, and Pledge not to Abuse This Privilege. To Stop Future Mailings, Type in your email address and then Click the Link Below to be Removed Instantly. <form action="../mail/unsubscribe.php" method=get name=unsubscribeform> <input type="text" name="email" size="10"> {include file="buttons/unsubscribe_menu.tpl"} <input type=hidden name=redirect value="{$redirect}"> </form> {/capture} {include file="dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_unsubscribe content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"} {capture name=dialog} This free monthly publication is sent ONLY to those who have subscribed. This newsletter is completely 100% opt-in and uses only completely ethical means in which to gain new subscribers. <form action="../mail/subscribe.php" method=get name=subscribeform2> <input type="text" name="email" size="10"> {include file="buttons/subscribe_menu.tpl"} <input type=hidden name=redirect value="{$redirect}"> </form> {/capture} {include file="dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_subscribe content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"}

2. Add this code to your help/index.tpl file.
Code:
{elseif $section eq "optout"} {include file="help/optout.tpl"}

3. Add this code to your help/genral.tpl file.
Code:
<tr><td height="10" width="1" class="TableCenterSmallText" colspan=4></td></tr> <tr> <td valign="top" height="15" class="TableCenterSmallText">{$lng.lbl_unsubscribe} / {$lng.lbl_subscribe} {include file="buttons/go.tpl"} </td> </tr>

I am by no means an expert on all this, but it works for me. It all seems stright forward once you sit down and look at the way x-cart works. BTW this is my first experience playing with Smarty...
Old 10-12-2002, 05:44 PM

Advanced Member

Great idea.

I used your code but I get an error when calling "buttons/unsubscribe_menu.tpl"

I guess I have to create this template but I'm not sure of the code that goes there.

Can you share it with us?

Thanks
Randy
Old 10-12-2002, 07:12 PM

X-Guru

Code:
<font class="TableCenterCustomerForm">unsubscribe [img]{$ImagesDir}/GOboutonWhiteBkg.gif[/img]</font>

Could also add the unsubscribe text to the languages but im lazy
Old 10-13-2002, 07:48 AM

Oops... I forgot about adding the "buttons/unsubscribe_menu.tpl"

Step 4.

Create a new Template file called unsubscribe_menu.tpl in your buttons directory. Place the code below in that file.

Quote:
<font class="TableRightNewsContent">{$lng.lbl_unsubscrib e}</font>[img]{$ImagesDir}/GObouton.gif[/img]

Its just like the subscribe_menu.tpl the only difference was the smarty code changed from {$lng.lbl_subscribe} to {$lng.lbl_unsubscribe}. The work unsubscribe was already in my Language files, I think...

Option B world be to use the code BOOMER used in the new buttons/unsubscribe_menu.tpl file.

Quote:
<font class="TableCenterCustomerForm">Unsubscribe [img]{$ImagesDir}/GOboutonWhiteBkg.gif[/img]</font>

Enjoy,
b.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:49 AM

X-Adept

Hi Everyone,

It would also be nice to be able to differentiate subscribers on the mailing list -- customers who have registered and subscribed vs. visitors who have subscribed only, not registered.

ATKOgirl
Old 10-13-2002, 02:56 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks for the code.

Unfortunately I get an error on my site when I use the code and also on your site.

I tried your link on 2 different systems and IE6 and Netscape 7.

The form works if you enter an email address and press the enter key, but generates an error if I use the mouse to press the submit link.

Anone else getting this error?

Thanks
Randy
Old 10-13-2002, 07:11 PM

Damn I hate it when that happens... You are 100% correct. and so it the code Now. I have fixed the code above to work correctly. There were 2 things wrong with it.

1. the javascript in the unsubscribe link was incorrect. The name of the form and the document submit needs to be the same.
2. there can be only one javascript:document.subscribeform.submit() per page otherwise your browser gets confused.

It's all good now. Just copy and paste the code again in your optout.tpl file...

See ya on the flip side,
b.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:00 AM

Advanced Member

Works like charm now.

Thanks a lot!!

Randy
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions